AVS Forum banner

6061 - 6080 of 6146 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There is definitely something causing interference on the 2.4GHz band but I've had no luck trying to figure it out. I've looked at the spectrum before and it's not overly congested. I've seen much worse congestion where there are less issues. Changing channels did reduce the frequency of the drop outs but it didn't get rid of them. QoS didn't make a difference whether it was enabled or disabled. Microwave could be worth looking into though the issues happen even when it is not being used.

I didn't bother with Harmony support though as the Hub worked fine at my friend's house and it's not the only device havng problems so it's clearly something to do with my network. They are also not that good locally for me. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it but its just been easier migrating everything off 2.4GHz where I can as that eliminates all issues with minimal effort.
Perhaps it's a network configuration issue. Have you given all your network devices fixed IP addresses (or equivalent)? Extended their DHCP lease periods?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Would a hard reset now kill my entire setup?
A reboot (unplug) will not affect your setup, and you already did that when you took it over to your friends place. I equate a hard reset to configuring it original factory state, but you should be able to use the account to restore it to the current config.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Would a hard reset now kill my entire setup?
"Unplug your hub and then hold the Pair/Reset button on the back while plugging it back in. The light on the front of the hub will flicker red for approximately 30 seconds as the hub restores itself to factory defaults. "

Re-syncing it with your settings from your harmony account will restore everything.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
@bp787 and @BPlayer : You guys are right. I tried holding and changing buttons multiple times and did not see the light go red. So only when it looses wifi connection, it goes red. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quick stupid question I have - I am planning to install a custom icon for my Shield TV, but perhaps I don't need to.
The reason I am planning on doing so, is for some strange reason, I cannot get the default Nvidia logo to "stick". I can get it to show up sometimes after making major changes to an activity - after the remote finishes re-syncing, it will magically be there. But inevitably at some point it will just go away and just be a blank space next to the activity name.

Does anyone know what causes this? Should I even bother with the custom logo, or will the same issue plague me if I don't fix whatever is the initial cause?
Exact same issue. Only the nVidia icon has this problem for me. If I resync the activity to the remote over and over it will sometimes show up again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there a way to change the default device for an activity? I understand you can manually remap all of the remote buttons but the default device is what determines the controls shown on the remote start page.

I am trying to create an activity to listen to music on my Marantz AVR (Heos). I have three devices in this activity: AVR, amp, and TV. However, even when telling the Harmony app to control the volume using the AVR instead of my amp (the only question I'm asked) it still sets the default device to my amp (Lyngdorf TDAI-1120).

I can't find a way to change this after creating the activity and I can't find any way answer the question differently during activity setup to get it to default to the AVR. I can create the activity without the amp device but apparently there is no way to add a step to an already created activity for a device that wasn't specified explicitly during creation (also odd).

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Exact same issue. Only the nVidia icon has this problem for me. If I resync the activity to the remote over and over it will sometimes show up again.
I have two Elites with custom icons for all my activities (and a custom activity screen background) and have never experienced that issue. Have you tried doing a factory reset and resync of the handheld -
Factory Reset
  1. Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds.
  2. The remote screen will turn off, then turn on again displaying the image of a remote and a circular arrow.
  3. After a few seconds your remote will be restored to factory defaults and you may sync again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have two Elites with custom icons for all my activities (and a custom activity screen background) and have never experienced that issue. Have you tried doing a factory reset and resync of the handheld -
Factory Reset
  1. Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds.
  2. The remote screen will turn off, then turn on again displaying the image of a remote and a circular arrow.
  3. After a few seconds your remote will be restored to factory defaults and you may sync again.
I will give this a try the next time the icon disappears. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Is there a way to change the default device for an activity? I understand you can manually remap all of the remote buttons but the default device is what determines the controls shown on the remote start page.
You can also manually change the controls shown on the main screen of any activity. It may take a bit of effort to do this for all activities, but it is possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can also manually change the controls shown on the main screen of any activity. It may take a bit of effort to do this for all activities, but it is possible.
How exactly? I see how you can change between gestures, controls and numbers but not customize each.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Harmony Elite with hub and programming is done on my Harmony app on my iPhone..
My issue is I press say watch TiVo as an activity and the Denon amp switches to Tivo and a few seconds late the amp switches to AppleTV (another one of my activiities).
Then I have to use the help button to get the amp back to TiVo.
All my equipment is only 1 month old. It’s using a Sony 900H which is awaiting a Sony update to fix 10 second audio drops When using the TV’s resident apps.
It could also be having eARC issues.

I did try to add a few seconds delay to the Tivo activity but it made no difference. The amps input still switched to the AppleTV input on its own A few seconds after pressing the watch TiVo TV activity button.

I thought after using the Elites help button it’s supposed to learn from its mistake?

I was thinking of going back to a factory reset and starting all over with the remote. And also resetting the hub Or maybe the factory reset does both because it’s hub based.
I’m running all my devices by HDMI into the Denon. Then Monitor ARC out on the Denon to the Sony’s ARC HDMI in port #3.

Sorry to have not first tried to search out my answer, but I don’t even know how I would use key words or phrases to search with this type of multi problem issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Harmony Elite with hub and programming is done on my Harmony app on my iPhone..
My issue is I press say watch TiVo as an activity and the Denon amp switches to Tivo and a few seconds late the amp switches to AppleTV (another one of my activiities).
Then I have to use the help button to get the amp back to TiVo.
All my equipment is only 1 month old. It’s using a Sony 900H which is awaiting a Sony update to fix 10 second audio drops When using the TV’s resident apps.
It could also be having eARC issues.

I did try to add a few seconds delay to the Tivo activity but it made no difference. The amps input still switched to the AppleTV input on its own A few seconds after pressing the watch TiVo TV activity button.

I thought after using the Elites help button it’s supposed to learn from its mistake?

I was thinking of going back to a factory reset and starting all over with the remote. And also resetting the hub Or maybe the factory reset does both because it’s hub based.
I’m running all my devices by HDMI into the Denon. Then Monitor ARC out on the Denon to the Sony’s ARC HDMI in port #3.

Sorry to have not first tried to search out my answer, but I don’t even know how I would use key words or phrases to search with this type of multi problem issue.
Thanks
95% of the time, issues like what you describe are not Harmony issues but rather CEC issues between your devices. The standard recommendation has always been to disable all of the CEC functionality in ALL your devices so that they stop trying to run things behind the Harmony's back. The catch to that recommendation is that, up until recently, CEC came along for the ride when you enabled ARC... but even then that is typically only necessary for the TV and receiver. I would start by disabling CEC on your source devices... at least that will prevent them from requesting attention from the AVR.

As for disabling CEC while retaining ARC/eARC between the TV and AVR... I'm not familiar with your Denon AVR, but I am quite familiar with the X900H (since replaced with an X950H). The X900H does allow ARC/eARC to operate with CEC disabled (but it's not called "CEC" in the Sony menus... I'm not near the TV now but it's something along the lines of "audio system control". Also, when CEC is enabled on all devices, the Sony can and will go out and automatically "discover" CEC-enabled devices that are connected, not only to its own inputs, but also any that are connected through the receiver. If you see any AVR-connected sources listed as discrete inputs in the Sony's input menu (typically, as additional sources listed for HDMI3, which I assume is what your AVR is connected to on the TV), I would be sure to delete any of those "phantom" inputs that the TV may have auto-discovered while audio system control was still enabled.

Side note: There has already been an ARC/eARC-related firmware update for the X900H. Are you just asking the TV to check for updates (and it finds none) or have you actually checked firmware versions on the TV versus the Sony support site to see if you're current or not? Sony doesn't always allow free access to automatic OTA updates... it's rolled out in stages to keep servers from being overloaded. However, you can always download the firmware manually and update via USB. I had significant improvement in ARC dropouts on both the 900 and 950 after manually installing the most current update (the self check on both TVs always said it was up-to-date even though there actually was a newer version available).

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How exactly? I see how you can change between gestures, controls and numbers but not customize each.
You can completely customize the screen commands and buttons for any activity from the Desktop app. Start the app, select the remote, and select Buttons, Then use the Screen options to change the command of the screen for the desired activity, and Assign AV Commands to change any buttons for a selected activity.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The entire remote, touch screen and hard buttons, can be completely customized for each Activity and Device. Easiest way is to use the MyHarmony PC desktop application. One thing to note is that for Activities only commands for devices that are included in the specific Activity are available to map to hard buttons or touch screen.

·
Registered
995 Posts
95% of the time, issues like what you describe are not Harmony issues but rather CEC issues between your devices. The standard recommendation has always been to disable all of the CEC functionality in ALL your devices so that they stop trying to run things behind the Harmony's back. The catch to that recommendation is that, up until recently, CEC came along for the ride when you enabled ARC... but even then that is typically only necessary for the TV and receiver. I would start by disabling CEC on your source devices... at least that will prevent them from requesting attention from the AVR.

As for disabling CEC while retaining ARC/eARC between the TV and AVR... I'm not familiar with your Denon AVR, but I am quite familiar with the X900H (since replaced with an X950H). The X900H does allow ARC/eARC to operate with CEC disabled (but it's not called "CEC" in the Sony menus... I'm not near the TV now but it's something along the lines of "audio system control". Also, when CEC is enabled on all devices, the Sony can and will go out and automatically "discover" CEC-enabled devices that are connected, not only to its own inputs, but also any that are connected through the receiver. If you see any AVR-connected sources listed as discrete inputs in the Sony's input menu (typically, as additional sources listed for HDMI3, which I assume is what your AVR is connected to on the TV), I would be sure to delete any of those "phantom" inputs that the TV may have auto-discovered while audio system control was still enabled.

Side note: There has already been an ARC/eARC-related firmware update for the X900H. Are you just asking the TV to check for updates (and it finds none) or have you actually checked firmware versions on the TV versus the Sony support site to see if you're current or not? Sony doesn't always allow free access to automatic OTA updates... it's rolled out in stages to keep servers from being overloaded. However, you can always download the firmware manually and update via USB. I had significant improvement in ARC dropouts on both the 900 and 950 after manually installing the most current update (the self check on both TVs always said it was up-to-date even though there actually was a newer version available).
This was an excellent response. Thank you very much. I will check and compare for the latest updates. ARC, CEC have always been problematic and I've always chosen not to use any ARC in the past. I figured I'd start with the way Sony recommends to hook things up but that clearly is not working out. I did read in the Sony 900 thread that many as you say go directly to Sony for their updates.
Now Sony is throwing in their HDMI 2.1 in a coming update. This should be fun. Glad I don't own a PS5. I still have a PS3 and it works fine on the 900.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You can completely customize the screen commands and buttons for any activity from the Desktop app. Start the app, select the remote, and select Buttons, Then use the Screen options to change the command of the screen for the desired activity, and Assign AV Commands to change any buttons for a selected activity.
Just to be clear, when you say desktop app is this for the Elite as I'm only aware of the app thats on my iphone since any Harmony hub based remote can no longer use the desk top app that I use with my Harmony 880's.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The entire remote, touch screen and hard buttons, can be completely customized for each Activity and Device. Easiest way is to use the MyHarmony PC desktop application. One thing to note is that for Activities only commands for devices that are included in the specific Activity are available to map to hard buttons or touch screen.
I'm not having a button mapping issue. As the poster said above it is probably more of a ARC/CEC related issue.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just to be clear, when you say desktop app is this for the Elite as I'm only aware of the app thats on my iphone since any Harmony hub based remote can no longer use the desk top app that I use with my Harmony 880's.
Yes, I was referring to the PC Desktop app, but I believe that you can also make these changes with the iPhone app (just looked at it for the first on my phone and it looks like that functionality is there).

·
Registered
995 Posts

Looks like my firmware did update automatically to the most current version. My TV Build shows 604141 and the Sony firmware update on their site says v6.0414

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Yes, the MyHarmony PC application works with the Elite. I have 2 Elites and use the MyHarmony PC application for all customization. I much prefer it over the mobile app. You can DL it from the Logitech/Harmony website.

6061 - 6080 of 6146 Posts