AVS Forum banner

6081 - 6100 of 6146 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yes, the MyHarmony PC application works with the Elite. I have 2 Elites and use the MyHarmony PC application for all customization. I much prefer it over the mobile app. You can DL it from the Logitech/Harmony website.
Ya, total run around with their My Harmony software as they have not updated it to work with Mac Big Sur 11.1 yet.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Just to be clear, when you say desktop app is this for the Elite as I'm only aware of the app thats on my iphone since any Harmony hub based remote can no longer use the desk top app that I use with my Harmony 880's.
I think the 880 required an older version of the Harmony desktop software, not "MyHarmony", which is the current software. That older Harmony 880 desktop software does not support the Elite (as you noted), but if you download the current "MyHarmony" desktop software, it does support the Elite. MyHarmony works with all PC's and with Macs that have OSX versions prior to Catalina (it doesn't work for Catalina or Big Sur).

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
There are no plans to update it to work with it...ever...
I liked your post because it’s true but I don’t really “like” it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey guys,I have the Elite remote with the hub. My remote stopped responding recently so I did a hard reset on the remote and the the hub. I’ve tried adding the hub countless times but it keeps saying the hub can’t connect to WiFi. I’ve tried everything. Anyone run into this issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Hey guys,I have the Elite remote with the hub. My remote stopped responding recently so I did a hard reset on the remote and the the hub. I’ve tried adding the hub countless times but it keeps saying the hub can’t connect to WiFi. I’ve tried everything. Anyone run into this issues?

Be sure you’re trying to connect to your 2.4GHz wifi network not 5G. Also try temporarily moving your hub close to your router.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Be sure you’re trying to connect to your 2.4GHz wifi network not 5G. Also try temporarily moving your hub close to your router.
I am, I’ll try moving it closer but it’s never been an issue before.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Exact same issue. Only the nVidia icon has this problem for me. If I resync the activity to the remote over and over it will sometimes show up again.
I can confirm that adding custom icons doesn't necessarily fix the problem (the custom icons seem just as likely to disappear), but I do like them.

What does work to make the icons reappear, every time, is manually syncing the remote. Now that I have my routines and everything mostly set, I don't have the icons disappearing anymore. They only seem to be "lost" when any changes are made, which causes a semi-sync, which seems to be what causes the issue.

Reactions: elmoe

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I can confirm that adding custom icons doesn't necessarily fix the problem (the custom icons seem just as likely to disappear), but I do like them.

What does work to make the icons reappear, every time, is manually syncing the remote. Now that I have my routines and everything mostly set, I don't have the icons disappearing anymore. They only seem to be "lost" when any changes are made, which causes a semi-sync, which seems to be what causes the issue.
I think the code that does the sync after changes is buggy. I have gotten in the habit of doing a hard reset on the handheld (Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds) and then a sync after doing any significant changes. Seems to prevent some of the wonky issues from occurring.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I think the code that does the sync after changes is buggy. I have gotten in the habit of doing a hard reset on the handheld (Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds) and then a sync after doing any significant changes. Seems to prevent some of the wonky issues from occurring.
Yep, and if you are stuck on having to use the app to do your changes, my advice is to do a few and then sync. then do a few more and resync, repeat until finished. Nothing is more annoying than making major changes and the thing taking a dump on the last sync process. I had far less issues when I could use the desktop program..but that is not an option with the 2400 Pro model..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Yep, and if you are stuck on having to use the app to do your changes, my advice is to do a few and then sync. then do a few more and resync, repeat until finished. Nothing is more annoying than making major changes and the thing taking a dump on the last sync process. I had far less issues when I could use the desktop program..but that is not an option with the 2400 Pro model..
I would agree. I always use the PC application. I only ever use the mobile app for those functions that are only available using the mobile app...like BT pairing for example.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You're preaching to the choir, brother! I'm a certified installer with Harmony and I don't like it either! But, it is what it is...
I’ve been thinking of getting the Harmony Elite because it is probably the only control system that is user configurable. However, if you were to recommend an alternative that you really like, what would it be?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting the Harmony Elite because it is probably the only control system that is user configurable. However, if you were to recommend an alternative that you really like, what would it be?
Well, that's the rub..there currently is no better system that is user configurable. Especially with all the bluetooth options and smart home device integration. I am dabbling with a URC MXHP-r500 and hub but it's got it's own set of quirks and has a damn real estate hogging number pad! (yes, yes, I am going to get flamed here for that from the number pad lovers, but whatever)
If you can get by with the regular elite and use the pc application for programming, that is your best bet. Using a tablet is the second best way to set them up with the phone as "last resort" at least imo..

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well, that's the rub..there currently is no better system that is user configurable. Especially with all the bluetooth options and smart home device integration. I am dabbling with a URC MXHP-r500 and hub but it's got it's own set of quirks and has a damn real estate hogging number pad! (yes, yes, I am going to get flamed here for that from the number pad lovers, but whatever)
If you can get by with the regular elite and use the pc application for programming, that is your best bet. Using a tablet is the second best way to set them up with the phone as "last resort" at least imo..
I just don't understand - the Harmony Elite team could redesign this remote and iron out all the problems to come up with one remote that is cutting-edge, reliable, enjoyable and user configurable. They already have such a huge advantage, the best thing to do would be take the bold step of stepping it up. The Neeo garnered so much attention until it was sold off to be part of the C4 custom ecosystem.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This remote is the best that I've owned. The only 2 complaints are no 5GHz support and the remote does not lay flat on the table to operate it without picking it up!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
This remote is the best that I've owned. The only 2 complaints are no 5GHz support and the remote does not lay flat on the table to operate it without picking it up!
I think the reason for 2.4Ghz WiFi is a longer distance connection plus less instability from environmental obstacles such as ceilings and walls than can occur with 5Ghz. Over the few years I’ve owned the Elite I’ve never noticed a lack of speed and my WiFi router is upstairs and on the opposite side of the house. If they were going to improve it, I’d much prefer an Ethernet port on the hub like they added to the Pro version.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I would agree. I always use the PC application. I only ever use the mobile app for those functions that are only available using the mobile app...like BT pairing for example.
I'll use both, but there are stuff you can do on the pc that can't be done mobile. On all my activities I have a toggle HDMI input activity setup to trigger handshaking in the event something goes wrong. It won't allow that on the mobile app.

6081 - 6100 of 6146 Posts