AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Harmony One universal remote control for Christmas
but cannot seem to get it to control this power conditioner. I have the Panamax set so the SAT receiver, PS3 and HD-A3 always get power, but I also have it configured so when I push the button on the left front part of the panel, the BFD goes on immediately, and then 5 seconds later (or 10 maybe?), the sub amp, integrated amp, HDMI switch and external video processor turn on. This is of course done to avoid the dreaded thump associated with turning on the BFD when the downstream amp is on. I also have it done this way becuase the BFD, HDMI switch and prosound amp are not remote controlled and thus pressing one botton turns them all on. Without the Panamax button being pressed, none of the units besides the SAT receiver, PS3 and HD-A3 get power. So... can the Harmony One universal remote control be programmed to "push" the button?

BTW, my integrated amp doesn't have a voltage trigger (but a receiver I'm waiting to get does!). If I had it so the new receiver, PS3, HD-A3 and SAT receiver have constant power, then having the Harmony One turn on the receiver could cause the receiver to trigger the rest of the power conditioner to turn on, which would in turn cause the equipment without remote controls to turn on (in the right order to avoid the thump). Having it set up that way would allow pressing one button on the Harmony One to turn everything on! The problem is I don't know when that receiver will be released so until that happens I'm stuck with the present situation.

One last thing. I already know the PS3 and Harmony One don't interact but I ordered a Blue Wave dongle to get at least partial functionality out of the Harmony One.

So, going back to having the Harmony "One" control the Panamax MAX-5400EX... what do you guys recommend doing?

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure but I think I am out of luck. Having to press one button on the front of the Panamax isn't a big deal (I have to do it on the PS3, too). Having said that, it would be nice not to have to do it.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... I got home and checked my owners manual for the integrated amp and sure enough it has d/c trigger for an accompanying amp
. My guess is their thoughts were someone might use the integrated amp as a pre/pro. I'll use it to turn on my power conditioner! Both units have 1/8" connectors on each end (the output on the integrated amp and the input on the power conditioner)... is it as simple as getting one wire with 1/8' male connectors on each end, plugging them in and turning on the integrated amp? I've never used this feature but it seems pretty straight forward.

· Registered
7,349 Posts
Sounds like it's as easy as you stated.

I might use this to turn on/off my IB sub PowerAmp and BFD.

Quote:
Voltage Sense Trigger: The M5400-PM voltage

sense trigger input uses a standard

3.5mm (1/8") mini-mono plug.

This feature provides an ON/OFF trigger for

the M5400-PM using a Direct Current voltage

signal. Many components such as pre-amplifiers

and receivers have a DC trigger built in,

and will transmit a constant power signal

when turned on and in use. The presence of

this power signal will turn on the M5400-

PM's switched outlets. When the source component

is turned off, the voltage trigger signal

is also turned off and the M5400-PM's shutdown

sequence is initiated. An AC Adapter of

the appropriate voltage plugged into a

switched outlet may also be used if a DC trigger

is not built in.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what I plan to do! Thanks for quoting that text, too.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... good news and bad news.

Banks 1 and 2 in the Panamax are always on. Banks 3 and 4 turn on immediately when triggered on, and have a 10 second delay when triggered off. Bank 5 turns on with a 5 second delay when triggered on, and turns off immediately when triggered off. This ideal since I have the BFD plugged into bank 3 and the sub amp plugged into bank 5. So the way I have it set up, when I turn the receiver on, the BFD turns on immediately and the sub amp 5 seconds later. When I turn the receiver off, the sub amp turns off immediately with the BFD following 10 seconds later.

Beautiful... except for one small thing.

Bank 5 is designed for high current electronics (a receiver/amp and a subamp). Banks 1-4 are not for high current applications. In order for the receiver to trigger the turn on sequence and shutdown sequence, it has to have constant power. If plugged into bank 5, it won't have constant power. If plugged into either bank 1 or bank 2, it will have constant power, but it won't be plugged into an outlet designed for high current electronics (which might potentially limit dynamics). This seems like a design flaw to me. How can a receiver trigger the power conditioner's turn on and turn off sequence if the receiver is supposed to be plugged into one of the outlets that has to be triggered on? The only possible way to get around this is to plug the receiver into the current limiting banks 1 or 2. Again... it seems like a design flaw to me. I don't see a way around this

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.