AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Harmony One, will I be able to do this, have it where if I just want the tv and my cable box on, I can, and also have it where I can have the tv, cable box, onkyo receiver and my speakers on?

I want to be able to watch TV, w/out having my onkyo receiver always on. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe you can. Just set up one activity as "Watch TV - TV Speakers", and exclude your receiver as part of that activity. Then set up a new activity as "Watch TV - External Speakers" and include your receiver as part of that activity.

I have two DVD players and have each setup under a different activity name.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
The only issue you might have is when switching between the two modes you might have the TV speakers playing as well as your Onkyo connected speakers. Some extra commands with the mute button when entering the activity could solve this problem.

Some TVs exit mute mode when volume up is pressed. You would add extra commands to your TV speaker activity to ensure that mute is off by adding a "volume down" (or up) command at the end of the activity. To insure that the TV is muted for the Onkyo speaker activity you would add a "volume down" then "mute" command. Just having a "mute" command might not work if the TV was already muted since hitting mute again would turn off mute.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/14286516

The only issue you might have is when switching between the two modes you might have the TV speakers playing as well as your Onkyo connected speakers. Some extra commands with the mute button when entering the activity could solve this problem.

Some TVs exit mute mode when volume up is pressed. You would add extra commands to your TV speaker activity to ensure that mute is off by adding a "volume down" (or up) command at the end of the activity. To insure that the TV is muted for the Onkyo speaker activity you would add a "volume down" then "mute" command. Just having a "mute" command might not work if the TV was already muted since hitting mute again would turn off mute.

This is exaclty how I have my system set up. I use my TV speakers for watching TV, but use my receiver for everything else. For my watch TV activity I added a volume up command to the end of my starting sequence so it will turn mute off if the TV is already muted. For all of my other activities I send out the volume command, then two mute commands (my TV only mutes half way with the first mute command, the second mute turns the speakers off completely).

If your TV does not turn mute off with the volume up command, it will be pretty difficult to get this working right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts