AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how well the harmony remotes handle the Samsung HLM series DLPs? I am concerned given the lack of discrete codes. My ProntoNeo is dying and I am tempted not to get the TSU3000, if there is a good alternative that is wife-friendly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Harmony Remotes do a decent job in cases where discrete on/off commands are not available. However, quite often you're going to be pressing the Help button to ensure things are in sync in those cases where something doesn't happen correctly, like when a code isn't properly received by a device such that the Harmony Remote now things a function is in a state that it isn't in.

I had the SST-768 for about 30 days and chose to return it in favor of a Home Theater Master MX-700. I found the physical layout of the SST-768 less than desirable, and the awkwardness of the LCD screen interaction using the scroll wheel to be a significant detriment to usability. That there was no backlighting on the keys, and the LCD screen is small and side-lit instead of backlit also made it pretty useless in the dark for me.

The lack of buttons on the remote itself also means that every little tweaking function you need to get to, you're going to have to navigate to a menu on the LCD display, scroll to the function, and press the scroll wheel to activate. It's extremely cumbersome, and doesn't lend itself at all to cases where you need to be controlling two things about the same time, like turning on a signal meter display while adjusting an antenna rotator. You couldn't move between functions fast enough, so you'd have to have spent the effort creating special navigation button layouts putting those functions together on buttons, which then becomes one more kay layout to use the scroll wheel to get to.

I have absolutely no complaints about the MX-700. It's a wonderful piece of equipment and I've been able to configure it to behave in the same way I always wanted the SST-768 to behave.

The SST-768 has some interesting concepts, like maintaining channel lists and even a channel-by-channel guide of what's on, however the utility of it is minimized by the small LCD display you use to scroll through them. It might be more useful to someone without an onscreen guide, however those with onscreen guide capabilities will likely just turn this feature off once the novelty wears off.

Anyway, the concept behind the SST-768 is promising. Maybe th enext iteration of hardware will improve all the shortcomings. In the meantime, nothing I've seen yet beats the usability and simplicity of the MX-700 (and probably the MX-500, too, at least with the 3rd party PC configuration package).

I had guests in town the weekend I'd sent back the SST-768 and got the MX-700, and had only spent a little time configuring the MX-700 then rushed it out to the living room for use. I woke up one morning to find one of my guests had picked it up and just started using it to watch things from among my 3 tuning devices and DVD player. No problem at all. To me, that's the best feedback that it really works: someone who knew nothing of my equipment actually was able to successfully operate everything with no instruction at all from me, just by using the MX-700 as I'd programmed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.