AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have the Harmony Ultimate Remote. I am in the process of building a HTPC and i will be running XBMC (Kodi). Can my Harmony control XBMC?

If so, how would i go about setting that all up? I want it to control all the functions of XBMC. If it can also control the computer, that would be a plus, but is not really needed as long as XBMC can be controlled.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What is Flirc?

I quickly looked it up. So which one would i need to get? Just that small USB one?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
What is Flirc?

I quickly looked it up. So which one would i need to get? Just that small USB one?
There is only one thing they sell with the name Flirc. It's a USB IR receiver. The other stuff in the store is just raspberry pi and accessories for the raspberry pi. They used to sell only the flirc, so I had to go check when you said which one because I didn't know they added all the new RPi stuff

It's more powerful than most receivers you've tried (in my experience). It can catch IR from just about any direction in a normal room (even off the ceiling/walls). Also easily programmable in win/mac/nix with a really easy interface. After it's programmed then it's a fairly plug n play receiver. Since you program your own remote IR commands to USB keyboard shortcuts . . . you can use any IR remote you want (including the harmony)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect. Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, 1 more question.

If I have a keyboard and mouse which also plugs in as a usb device and if i get Flirc, will they both work ok or would i need to disconnect one or the other?

Essentially, it would be my HTPC but also my computer. When i am watching a movie, i want to be able to use the remote for XBMC, and when i am doing computer stuff, obviously i would use the keyboard and mouse.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have used a keyboard, mouse, and flirc on the same OE box several times. Shouldn't be any issue working together. To be on the sure side you could plug two keyboards in and see if they can work at the same time

AFAIK, windows doesn't limit input devices, but the Flirc does register as a usb-input device (keyboard). It can wake your HTPC as well by programming a wake button, but a prerequisite for that working is to get your computer to a state where it can sleep (s3) and wake by USB keyboard (usually disabling wake by NIC will keep it from waking up right after going to sleep)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have multiple xbmc boxes and use different Harmony remotes for each.
Ive never had a problem controlling any aspect of XBMC by choosing "microsoft media center extender" in the Harmony software.

Never have felt the need to use Flirc.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what do you use to send the signal from the remote to your computer?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perfect, thank you.

So is the Flirc considered a ehome infrared transceiver?

From what i can tell, if i get one of the transcievers mentioned in the above Link, i can use my Harmony software to configure everything. If i use Flirc, i use their software to configure it all.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Perfect, thank you.

So is the Flirc considered a ehome infrared transceiver?

From what i can tell, if i get one of the transcievers mentioned in the above Link, i can use my Harmony software to configure everything. If i use Flirc, i use their software to configure it all.
No, it isn't. It's a very generic control device that can receive any IR signal and execute any command. It's far more than an eHome receiver (not transceiver). But, yes, you can use any remote and whatever software you use to program that remote to build a device or use an existing device. Then use Flirc software to associate various IR signals from your remote with specific commands.

If you buy an eHome (MCE/RC6) dongle, then all is plug and play. You can do all the basic media control commands plus several keyboard commands. Flirc doesn't work this way.

With Flirc, you have to do some programming to make it do everything you want. Most will work by default, but it's highly configurable and works with any IR signals, not just MCE. For example, you could make the CH+ from your TV remote (or TV device on Harmony) do CH+ (or anything you can imagine) in Kodi. You aren't tied to any devices, IR protocols or commands.

I have an Flirc dongle, but I never use it. I don't need any extra capabilities and don't want to bother programming anything. My eHome-ish receiver does everything I need (I use a Diamond media one I got from ebay for $5 which technically isn't MCE either).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice. Thanks for all the info. I guess I will try and get an ehome reciever first. If I can't then I will get the Flirc. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Harmony Ultimate and I use it to control Kodi. It can be set to control a Windows PC via bluetooth and so Kodi can be controlled with it out of the box as long as your PC has bluetooth (not included with the remote).

Customization is limited and commands can't be added. Media related commands are based on MCE Remote if I'm not mistaken but there are also additional commands like the Windows-key, 1st - 3rd pinned to taskbar, Charms and F-keys preprogrammed. There are also Media Center, Video, Music, Movie, Radio, Live TV buttons and some of these do work with Kodi. Also as said before they can't be reprogrammed so Kodi can't be opened with the Media Center button for example.

Arrow keys and all playback controls work and that is pretty much all that's needed for full operation. There are also direct commands for changing subtitles and audio track but these don't work either although Kodi displays a notification related to DVD subs/audio when pressed so they might work for disk playback? Some commads could potentially be remapped to different functions with additional software.

I haven't done a lot of research on the subject (yet) and this is based on my personal experience with the official Logitech setup and software with a Windows 10 PC and Kodi version 15 RC2 with a modded version (for v15) of AeonMQ 5 skin. Bluetooth is integrated on the motherboard (ASUS X99-Deluxe, bt version 4).

Usig an IR reciever is useful as it gives more customization options.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts