AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at several of the Harmony remotes online, but it is not clear if they have the discrete codes I need for:

- Switching inputs and on/off for a Samsung DLP TV

- On/Off for a Samsung HD-931 DVD Player

- Switching inputs and on/off for a Denon receiver

- On/Off for a DirecTV Tivo

- Switch inputs on a Gefen DVI switcher

Can anyone advise if one or all of the Harmony's have these discrete codes?

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 659 has switching inputs & on/off for Samsung DLP TV. Don't know for sure about the others, but if there are discrete codes for them the answer is probably yes. I would suggest taking the test drive for it and see what codes they currently have for the equipment. If they don't have a discreet code that is available they have been very good at getting them.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I think Harmony lets you test drive their website even if you do not have a SST-659.

That way you can find out if there are discrete codes available for your preferred devices. You'd have to rely on models that are already in their database, and to find out if discrete is available, you'd view the IR codes available and see if one is learned for "On" rather than "PowerToggle".

Try setting up an account at http://www.harmonyremote.com to give their website a test drive.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
also harmony can import Pronto codes, so that can help a bit more. And a bit more, the Harmony uses variables, so even without discretes it is still very reliable and if things get messed up it has a help button to help with getting stuff back in order

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got my Harmony yesterday. Programmed it to control:

- Samsung DLP TV (HLN)

- Samsung HD-931 DVD Player

- Ultimate TV (PVR)

- Denon receiver

- Samsung TS-160 DirecTv HDTV Receiver

- Turtle Beach Audiotron

- JVC VHS Player

This remote has saved my marraige and smoothed over relations with the in-laws (they are visiting -- new baby in the house).

I like the form factor over the MX700, however, the play/stop/pause buttons need to be closer to the Select buttons for PVR users.

Programming had an awesome, user friendly interface. It did take a little tweaking, but everything works as promised and the biggest deal of all is the discrete codes work on the Samsung DLP TV.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Question here on discrete codes, even if Harmony didn't have them on the site, but they did exist and you found them at a different site, could you enter them somewhere or would you need to go the JP-1 route and have the remote learn them?

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I think HarmonyRemote.com has an area that allows you to convert Pronto raw data. (HarmonyRemote.com -> Your Account -> Advanced -> Visit the infrared analysis center -> Manual -> Enter Infrared Codes -> Philip Pronto Codes)

This may allow you to enter existing Pronto Codes into your Harmony Remote. Just copy and paste the hex data from ProntoEdit. I have not tested this feature, but it's there for you to try...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.