AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
It’s a darn shame that some of these ota stations just don’t have that pop anymore. Too many sub channels I guess. Some in the area still look great like WGAL.
During favorable tropo conditions this morning I got WGAL and I was going back and forth between MeTV on 8.2 and MeTV on WFMZ 69.3 (which is on a transmitter with nine other channels, three of which in 720p). It was unbelievable how much better 8.2 looked for 480i. One time, I hopped onto TSReader and saw just how much bandwidth is on WGAL: 15Mbps dedicated to 8.1 and 4 dedicated to 8.2. Meanwhile, over on the WBPH/WFMZ/WLVT/WPPT tower, the HD channels barely get 3.5, and you can see it. WLVT is almost unwatchable during scenes with high action with the tearing that takes place along the edges of objects. Heavy crowding really degrades quality and once bandwidth allocation is under 5Mbps on the HD channels, it's especially noticeable. Like you said, too many subchannels.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
During favorable tropo conditions this morning I got WGAL and I was going back and forth between MeTV on 8.2 and MeTV on WFMZ 69.3 (which is on a transmitter with nine other channels, three of which in 720p). It was unbelievable how much better 8.2 looked for 480i. One time, I hopped onto TSReader and saw just how much bandwidth is on WGAL: 15Mbps dedicated to 8.1 and 4 dedicated to 8.2. Meanwhile, over on the WBPH/WFMZ/WLVT/WPPT tower, the HD channels barely get 3.5, and you can see it. WLVT is almost unwatchable during scenes with high action with the tearing that takes place along the edges of objects. Heavy crowding really degrades quality and once bandwidth allocation is under 5Mbps on the HD channels, it's especially noticeable. Like you said, too many subchannels.
Yes the best stations I receive are Wgal, Wbal, and WJZ. They have the highest Mbps according to my hdhomerun.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You can see the application here, like mentioned before it's still pending:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/d...&id=25076f915fd11ef0015fffb8dcd83991&goBack=N

WITF didn't change their RF number as part of the repack so it and most other non-repack modifcation applications were placed on the FCC's back burner. So they can't even begin to build out the increase until the application is granted, and even when/if it's granted, nearly every tower crew and antenna manufacturer is currently booked solid because of the repack backlog, so it will likely be another few years before it happens.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/d...&id=25076f915fd11ef0015fffb8dcd83991&goBack=N

WITF didn't change their RF number as part of the repack so it and most other non-repack modifcation applications were placed on the FCC's back burner. So they can't even begin to build out the increase until the application is granted, and even when/if it's granted, nearly every tower crew and antenna manufacturer is currently booked solid because of the repack backlog, so it will likely be another few years before it happens.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Much appreciated.
It's interesting to note that WTTG in Washington also operates on RF36 and always seems to have their applications approved in weeks rather than years. They're a very powerful station and depending upon which map you look at, actually seem to infringe upon the PA station's territory.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
The way I hear it, WTTG's tower is structurally unsound and thus is moving imminently.

- Trip

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you! I wanted to see that too. Somebody said this should go through this year? Can't seem to see that on there.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It's interesting to note that WTTG in Washington also operates on RF36 and always seems to have their applications approved in weeks rather than years. They're a very powerful station and depending upon which map you look at, actually seem to infringe upon the PA station's territory.
I get a weak signal from WTTG at my location. Only will lock on occasion when conditions are favorable. Now for the first time more recently signals are coming over the mountain and I am able to get a good lock on WHP and a moderate lock on WPMT. 10 years ago I couldn’t get any signals at all from these stations. So I am actually pretty happy and will work to get these implemented into my system by adding separate antennas and another HDhomerun. I get Baltimore stations pretty well but get some dropouts on vhf. Must be noise as the signal quality is 100 percent on both WBAL and WJZ. Also, I have a very strong signal from WGAL that can cause overload so I can’t use a preamp when aimed at Baltimore VHF stations, Also, in the summer in mornings like today I have signals coming in from different directions interfering with my main channels. This morning signals were locking on channels from Hampton Roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get a weak signal from WTTG at my location. Only will lock on occasion when conditions are favorable. Now for the first time more recently signals are coming over the mountain and I am able to get a good lock on WHP and a moderate lock on WPMT. 10 years ago I couldn’t get any signals at all from these stations. So I am actually pretty happy and will work to get these implemented into my system by adding separate antennas and another HDhomerun. I get Baltimore stations pretty well but get some dropouts on vhf. Must be noise as the signal quality is 100 percent on both WBAL and WJZ. Also, I have a very strong signal from WGAL that can cause overload so I can’t use a preamp when aimed at Baltimore VHF stations, Also, in the summer in mornings like today I have signals coming in from different directions interfering with my main channels. This morning signals were locking on channels from Hampton Roads.
WTTG has been approved for their move to the River Road tower in Maryland. It is the original tower for WETA 26 & WDCA 20 when they both went on the air back way back. So what is old is once again new. I do not think it will drastically change its signal to PA though, as it's around the same height and only a few miles away. Also the WITF/WPMT signal upgrade, if approved, is only to 84kw while WTTG is 1000kw. So that upgrade will not help WPMT very much and its doubtful anything could be done on this situation.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
WTTG has been approved for their move to the River Road tower in Maryland. It is the original tower for WETA 26 & WDCA 20 when they both went on the air back way back. So what is old is once again new. I do not think it will drastically change its signal to PA though, as it's around the same height and only a few miles away. Also the WITF/WPMT signal upgrade, if approved, is only to 84kw while WTTG is 1000kw. So that upgrade will not help WPMT very much and its doubtful anything could be done on this situation.
I am not versed in building or modifying antennas but I am just curious if I can weaken the signal coming from the back of my uhf Yagi antenna? If I weaken WTTG then WITF will improve. Can you put anything on the back or towards the back of antenna to weaken reflections from the rear. I could do this because this antenna aimed at Harrisburg is actually in my attic.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I am not versed in building or modifying antennas but I am just curious if I can weaken the signal coming from the back of my uhf Yagi antenna? If I weaken WTTG then WITF will improve. Can you put anything on the back or towards the back of antenna to weaken reflections from the rear. I could do this because this antenna aimed at Harrisburg is actually in my attic.
You could experiment with tilting the antenna up & down. All my antennas are tilted to improve reception & minimize co-channel issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Curious what people in the Harrisburg market have in terms of getting channels from either Baltimore, Philadelphia, or Altoona. I'd like to try and get either of those to perhaps get alternative NFL games to what we get here in Harrisburg.

I live off Rossmoyne (Mechanicsburg) on the top of a hill and wondering if others have had any success?

Here's my Rabbit Ears Link:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Curious what people in the Harrisburg market have in terms of getting channels from either Baltimore, Philadelphia, or Altoona. I'd like to try and get either of those to perhaps get alternative NFL games to what we get here in Harrisburg.

I live off Rossmoyne (Mechanicsburg) on the top of a hill and wondering if others have had any success?

Because you're in Mechanicsburg, you might get some Baltimore stations, but not any guarantee. Philadelphia is incredibly unlikely, and Altoona/Johnstown is impossible. Those stations aren't even available OTA as far west as Lewistown due to the mountainous terrain.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Unfortunately, any TV station with their signal strength listed as "Bad" in the RabbitEars results table is usually unobtainable. Some people in this situation have gotten reliable reception of "bad" stations through lucky signal bounces or diffraction, which requires some luck and can't be predicted. If that hill you live on were ten miles farther south, you'd probably hit pay dirt.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I get WMPT solid at night here in Manchester. Other channels from other markets come in during tropo events. I cannot seem to lock in on any Baltimore channels for any long periods of time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has this move happened yet? Anyone know the timetable on this?

WTTG is one of the fringe stations for me so it would be nice if it is a little easier to pick up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has this move happened yet? Anyone know the timetable on this?

WTTG is one of the fringe stations for me so it would be nice if it is a little easier to pick up.
The signal will be no stronger really, but further our of DC Tower is HAAT nearly identical as DC has no really tall TV towers for some strange odd reason.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Been getting little blurbs or breakups on WHP for awhile know. Been moving my antenna system around without any progress. I took a deeper look at my signal and when these blurbs happen no error is reported which is really weird. So just for the heck of it I watched Whp on my antenna and waited for the signal to be interrupted. Then I would tune to cable which is 20-30 seconds behind to my surprise it’s happening on cable at the same time. Is any one else experiencing this on WHP?

1101 - 1120 of 1141 Posts