AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe it's their feed? I could have sworn they were glitching the other day, despite my signal at or close to 100%, and symbol quality at 100% on my HDHOMERUN

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Maybe it's their feed? I could have sworn they were glitching the other day, despite my signal at or close to 100%, and symbol quality at 100% on my HDHOMERUN
Thanks for your response. I believe this has been happening for awhile on a variety of different programs. Since you have homerun do you get weird deinterlacing problems on whp and wgal especially on sports like football?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your response. I believe this has been happening for awhile on a variety of different programs. Since you have homerun do you get weird deinterlacing problems on whp and wgal especially on sports like football?
I have not noticed any de-interlacing issues with either through HDHomerun. I do know that WHP and WGAL are 1080i, so that maybe culprit. I will watch more closely. What model HDHomerun you have? I usually keep it updated as much as I can, and reboot it every now and then; and I have minimal issues using it.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have not noticed any de-interlacing issues with either through HDHomerun. I do know that WHP and WGAL are 1080i, so that maybe culprit. I will watch more closely. What model HDHomerun you have? I usually keep it updated as much as I can, and reboot it every now and then; and I have minimal issues using it.
Thanks for the info. I have duo 5th gen which I believe is the newest version. Yeah football is bad,

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The HDHomerun Duo just passes the raw bitstream from the station, it does not do any decoding or deinterlacing, that's all done by whatever device you're watching it on. Even if you are using the HDHomerun app, it's still using your device's or OS's built in codecs to do the audio and video decoding and deinterlacing.

There's a known issue with a certain series of chipsets that have a defective MPEG2 decoder and deinterlacer, it mostly affects Nvidia based devices released in the past several years like the Shield, and some other non-Nvidia devices powered by the same defective chipset. You see it more often on sports programming because of the rapid motion. It doesn't just affect the HDHomeRun, it also happens with other Shield compatible tuners like Hauppauge's USB stick. The only workaround is to switch to software decoding for MPEG2, but not all apps offer that option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The HDHomerun Duo just passes the raw bitstream from the station, it does not do any decoding or deinterlacing, that's all done by whatever device you're watching it on. Even if you are using the HDHomerun app, it's still using your device's or OS's built in codecs to do the audio and video decoding and deinterlacing.

There's a known issue with a certain series of chipsets that have a defective MPEG2 decoder and deinterlacer, it mostly affects Nvidia based devices released in the past several years like the Shield, and some other non-Nvidia devices powered by the same defective chipset. You see it more often on sports programming because of the rapid motion. It doesn't just affect the HDHomeRun, it also happens with other Shield compatible tuners like Hauppauge's USB stick. The only workaround is to switch to software decoding for MPEG2, but not all apps offer that option.
Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't 100% sure how it worked. Seems like this doesn't affect me, as most of my devices don't use NVidia. My laptop does have an NVidia Chipset, but doesn't seem affected (or noticeable) when streaming HDHomerun. For everyone, Switch to software rendering, if you can.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

Thanks for the info. Yes I use a shield pro and several new version firecubes. On the firecubes this symptom is real bad. So how would I go about switching to software decoding?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I sent WHP and email about the blurps that are occurring. This happened at least 5-7 times during the football game. For months I thought it was on my end but after checking cable tv which is 30 seconds behind the problem is definitely on their end. Hopefully they will fix.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi all. I live in Lancaster/Lititz, and this weekend put up a small antenna (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMVPVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in my attic in hopes of pulling in as many Philly stations as I could. Also using a 15db amplifier mounted 14" from the antenna. Pointed at 105° I am able to get NBC 10 and CBS 3 no problem. Was hoping to get ABC 6 but no sign of it even though the station antennas are all on the same hill. Is this pretty common in my area? Anyone else experiencing the same?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
That antenna very clearly lacks low-VHF elements. You will need a much larger antenna to receive WPVI.

- Trip

Reactions: joblo

·
Registered
212 Posts
By very clearly, where are you seeing that it lacks low-VHF elements? Looked up and down the desc for what it's tuned for.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Exactly. That antenna is far too small to be effective at low-VHF. Quite frankly, it probably isn't all that great at high-VHF either, though it appears to have at least one element tuned for it.

- Trip

Reactions: joblo

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess overall I’m really happy. Pulling in most of the ‘poor’ channels from Philly, 56mi away, from the attic. I get 27.1 which is abc out of Harrisburg so really no need to hassle anymore with getting this one down and getting a much larger one up there. Getting nbc, fox and cbs all from philly and then fox from York, cbs out of Harrisburg, etc. So tons more than I need already. Just thought maybe there was something up with abc 6, and I now know it’s the low-vhf band. I am getting 2.1 though from further away, so not sure why it’s just 6 I can’t get. Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just thought maybe there was something up with abc 6, and I now know it’s the low-vhf band. I am getting 2.1 though from further away, so not sure why it’s just 6 I can’t get. Anyway, thanks again.
If you're receiving WMAR on 2.1 out of Baltimore, it's because that station is actually transmitting on UHF (RF channel 27). If you're receiving WDPN on 2.1 out of Philly (RF channel 2), that would be quite weird considering you can't get WPVI from the same transmitter site. In case you didn't know, each TV station has a virtual channel number (for branding) and an RF channel (their actual frequency). Hope you don't have the two confused with each other.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you're receiving WMAR on 2.1 out of Baltimore, it's because that station is actually transmitting on UHF (RF channel 27). If you're receiving WDPN on 2.1 out of Philly (RF channel 2), that would be quite weird considering you can't get WPVI from the same transmitter site. In case you didn't know, each TV station has a virtual channel number (for branding) and an RF channel (their actual frequency). Hope you don't have the two confused with each other.
It's actually WDPN from Wilmington, from the Roxborough antenna farm. Getting 2.1, 2.2 and 2.4. Not much I'd want to watch, but pulling it in nonetheless.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
It's actually WDPN from Wilmington, from the Roxborough antenna farm. Getting 2.1, 2.2 and 2.4. Not much I'd want to watch, but pulling it in nonetheless.
That's probably coming from the RF27 DRT in Boyerstown or from W24CS-D in Reading.

- Trip

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyone know the deal with ABC-27 which is 27.11 out of Red Lion, PA? This is the ABC I can get, and the resolution just does not seem there. Not pixelated, but def not what the other major networks are pumping out. Just wondered if this was a reduced resolution from this antenna/location.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
It's WLZH-LD, which mirrors WHTM 27-1 due to VHF reception issues. Its other streams are 49-11/12 and 18-x. So it sounds like you're not receiving WHTM either.

- Trip

·
Registered
212 Posts
You are correct. Not much out of Harrisburg as i'm pointing at Philly (almost complete opposite direction from me). Getting everything I need though, except for a good ABC channel.

And yes, getting 49 and 18-x streams as well.

1121 - 1140 of 1141 Posts