AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Potter $9.99 at CompUSA

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  joekun 
#1 ·
The ad in the Twin Cities shows this price for three days only Tuesday-Thursday. Regularly $19.99 - $10 instatnt savings.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Just got my copy. They threw in an HP mousepad with it so it was $9.99 for the DVD and mousepad. Not bad. I wasn't planning on buying it but for ten bucks I couldn't pass it up.

The bad thing is that they only had about 20 copies of the widescreen version. I was about 10th in line and got a widescreen version but there were a lot of unhappy people. Someone wanted to trade her full-screen for my widescreen claiming that her husband was going to be angry at her for getting the full-screen version. I politely explained that I also care very much about aspect ratio and that her husband was wise to dislike full-screen.

Cary

#6 ·
All,

All the widescreen dvds were sold out at 3 different CompUSAs within the first 20 minutes. (In the Minneapolis area)

My copy from amazon arrived today, a co-worker got his from buy.com today as well. (we both ordered the widescreen release)

Now, I just have to get it into my RP-56 and showing from my 10HT.

Silly work is getting in the way. ;)

-Warlock

#7 ·
Since I'm somewhat ambivalent about this movie, I didn't get over to CompUSA until 12:30, and yes, all copies were gone. I stopped next door at CC and picked it up for $15.99. They were faily well-stocked but said they were flying out the store & expected to be out by this evening.

#8 ·
All copies were sold out at the local CompUSA in the first 10 minutes. Went over to Best Buy and they happily sold me a Widescreen copy for $9.97. Gotta love those pricematches.

#10 ·
If you do go to BB for a pricematch - print out the pdf file from compusa.com that shows the price of 9.97. It may help to have the number of compusa with you as well. They may want to call to verify.

I went to BB this morning for a price match and they have to actually call the store and verify they have the item in stock. The sales person at BB even had to write down the name of the person they talked to on the pricematch form.

Other than the wait for them to actually speak to someone live at compusa - they did indeed match the price.

-Brian

#11 ·
My wife got to the store at 10:10am and they were already sold out! Quite frankly this sort of advertising should be illegal. In Germany where I'm from any advertised item has to be sold for the price advertised for as long as the sale lasts. This is to prevent stores from advertising 'amazing' sales but in reality they only have one or two of those items in stock. The classic bait and switch. These sorts of advertisements are solely used to get ppl in the store.

-MarcW

#12 ·
:mad: :mad: In typical Best Buy fashion, they would not price match the CompUSA ad. They told me the item must be in stock at the other store for them to price match.

I left my copy on the counter and went across the street to Costco to purchase my copy for a few bucks cheaper.

BTW, Costco now has the Lord of the Rings pre-order deal similiar to the deal they offered for Harry Potter pre-order. Order now and receive voucher for additional title (list to choose from) free.

Rob

#13 ·
Rob,

I don't know if you are into collectables but LOTR will be released as a limited edition FOUR dvd set in November. I for one am going to wait for that one and won't jump on the 'skimpy' 2 dvd release coming out now.

-MarcW

#15 ·
The classic bait and switch. These sorts of advertisements are solely used to get ppl in the store.

It's illegal here but in Capitaliski wonderland it is unenforced. Bet all of the Best Buys have their ducks in a row as far as the price match pretty quickly.

I'm not crazy about CompUSA as is. This will ensure they get no more business from Dogfood, and I bet others- especially somewhat knowledgeable computer wonks- will feel as I do. This may do them more harm than good in the long run.

#16 ·
Best Buy will NOT match the CompUSA price... but WALMART will :)

The only problem is that they seem to have a 20:1 ratio of full screen version to widescreen version so dont dally if you want widescreen.

#17 ·
I asked my wife to do the pricematch at Walmart tonight thinking that the guys at the counter would be quicker to do a price match for a woman than a man. Well my wife must have gotten the employee of the month because this guy called 2 managers and CompUSA, being fed up after 15 minutes I just told them to forget it and went on a little rant. My wife, God love her, went right to the front and asked for the manager, she explained the situation and got the price match. It was all very anti-climatic. The thing that pisses me off is I have been in Walmart previously and asked if they would do a price match, their response is you have to have the ad. The time I actually have the ad they put me through the wringer just to save $5. I think I'll just stick to BB & CC next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.