AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you have kids, you have to get it regardless. And thanks for reminding me. My son would kill me if I forgot to bring it home.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Future Shop here in Montreal is selling it for one day only at $19 bucks CDN or about $12 US....They are flying off the shelves..it was a madhouse.. all the displays in the store were empty and they had both WS and FS with only a few WS left.... I wonder what the weekend sales figure will be on this puppy.

·
Registered
29,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
I own the first one and it was ok, is the 2nd one any better story wise? Also, how is the PQ? thanks.
It's more of the same, both in story and video quality. If you thought the first one was "OK", this one is too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I did not like the first one and enjoyed the second. COS as more action and seemed to move along better. I will definately pick this one up.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Wally World has it for $14.87 (to beat CC). They had 700 copies in stock (I counted them all :D).

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The Fry's offer is for today only, then it goes to $14.99 through Tuesday.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsegelstein
If you have kids, you have to get it regardless.
Can't argue with that. This movie is better than the first. I got bored of the first one but this one I actually liked. The cake drop was really funny.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up COS yesterday and watched it last night. I didn't see it when it was in theaters.

I think that is is pretty good. I think that for a sequal that it does a good job of including elements and themes of the original, and at the same time doesn't become repetitive. The story is probably a little better, and I definetily think the ending is better. I think it does a good job of building on the first movie and setting things up for future movies. I haven't read the books so I don't know what happens in 3,4 & 5.

The picture quality seems to be about the same, at least on my equipment it is ( I only have a 27" tv, so it isn't like I have good equipment ). I do think that the sound is better in this edition. The action scenes seem to have more kick.

I did notice a slight pause in one scene, it may be the layer change. It was when Harry was reading the diary. Anybody else notice this, and is it the layer change? It was about 1/2 way in so I am hoping it is the layer change. I am going to check it on my second player today.

All in all a good sequal. I've never read the books but these movies are tempting me. Every time I am in a store and see them I almost pick them up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My #1 of 2002 :) Potterrific Purrrrfection

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The books are so much better than the movies, which are technically accurate but rather cold and mechanical run-throughs, even though sanctioned by Rowling. The strength of the books are not the stories as such, but the way that Rowling creates her world and the little details of Hogwarts and what it's like to go to magic school, things that evaporate in order to get the books in under the 3-hour movie-length ceiling.

And I couldn't see all the hype about "better than the first". This hue and cry was everywhere, throughout all the media, and it seemed like mind control to me. Say it enough and everybody agrees. I guess it had more action and that it was a little darker, with more tangible villains, but to me the children's performances had gotten ruined along the way, and the plot points were somehow all there but the movie was incomprehensible all the same. The dramatic thrust of what was going on was just not present.

I have hopes for the third film, which deals with the finest of the books, The Prisoner of Azkaban, but what they have done with the first two doesn't leave me optimistic. If nothing else, the sheer length ot the book is going to really require the film to be released in two parts.

Plus- what is being on a non-stop film shoot going to do to the lives of the poor children playing the main characters? It seems this could move from being the wish of a lifetime to the cause of mental breakdowns or worse very easily.

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
The movies definitely need a pick me up. A lot of the humor in the books is missing and the screenplays, so far, seem like highlight reels instead of a cohesive storyline. I would have given anything to see what Terry Gilliam's take would have been! He was Rowling's first choice. Now we'll have to wait 'til 2005 to see what direction this new (and more adult oriented) director takes the series.

The writers must adapt the book story to fit into the movie world so it lives and breathes on its own instead of being weighed down by having to be exactly as the book was. You just can't fit it all in!

Also, the audio was hit and miss. The dialog was either recorded poorly, or encoded poorly as sometimes it came off muffled and/or distorted, and never completely clear (other, newer discs I have sound much better than this). The dynamic range and inter-channel imaging seemed a bit off too. Then I found out that Warner Brothers again only used 384 kilobits/sec encoding on their DD EX track. Dolby doesn't really get going audio-quality wise until you encode at 448 kilobits/sec and above.

It really could have used a good DTS-ES 6.1 remix IMHO.

Dan

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman
I would have given anything to see what Terry Gilliam's take would have been! He was Rowling's first choice. Dan
Wow!!! The mind boggles... I guess the project was too commercial (and required too long a commitment) for TG, but it sure could have had interesting results... Fear And Loathing At Hogwart's...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Nice DVD PQ and AQ wise, though the navigation and some of the special features are annoying - though they are set up for kids to 'play with'

Most excellent LFE channel in some areas of the movie, especially the snake sequence.

But the movie itself, just as disappointing as I remember from the theater. Choppy editting - no wonder CC got fired from the series. I liked the first one much more.

- Rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.