AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it just so happened that I had to go to one of those Megastores on the morning that Harry Potter was released. I joined about 20 other suckers that were waiting for the store to open...:p

I of course I grabbed one of the copies. In fact, I bought both the regular and widescreen versions...:D

I have recently changed the output of my NEC quadrupler to 1024 X 768 and reconverged my NEC 9 PG with 1550 hours on it.

Maybe it's just me, but the quality of this DVD is incredible! I have never, and I mean never seen as good a picture from my screen.

Anyone else wanna comment? I used to use Super Speedway as my reference/demo DVD, it's this one now.

Curt

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree that it is a very good disc. I didn't check the bit rate on it, but it seemed a bit soft in some sections, over 2.5 hours of movie plus menus and alternate soundtracks is a lot of data for one DVD.

The green grass and blue sky are gorgeous in the flying lesson scene. The detail and "aged" look of the chess pieces in the live chess game are great also.

We had 22 people (most of the neighborhood, and record attendance) for a screening last night. The consensus was the DVD/CRT (Barco 1208) presentation whipped the local theater for picture quality.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Well it looks like I'm one of the few nay sayers. The image is a bit on the soft side. There are few noise floor problems here and there as well. I was somewhat disappointed given Warner's very good track record with high quality releases. Potter is not nearly as good as many of my other reference quality DVDs. Let me put it this way: if I wanted to put something on to impress someone with how good DVD can be on a CRT then I would spin any of the following:

Training Day

The Fifth Element (Superbit)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Superbit)

Desperado (Superbit)

The Pledge

Doctor Zhivago

Vertical Limit (Superbit)

Moulin Rouge

Any of the above are far better than Harry Potter.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have only viewed about 15 minutes of various scenes, but I have to agree with Jerome on this.

It's much better than what I saw at the theater, but not up to the best.

I'd take Jerome's list, drop Dracula, and add the Fast & the Furious, Criterion's Rock, and Toy Story 2.

That said, this is still going to be alot of fun, and like I said, the picture is much better than what I saw at my local theater...I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've only had my PJ for a little over a week and have only watched a few movies on it because I've been having some troubles. In between the PJs temper tantrums I've watched a few...Harry Potter just last night.

So far I'd put Shrek at the top of the list, and by a long shot. I haven't even gotten the focus on the PJ quite up to snuff yet, but while watching Shrek I consistently saw a 3-D like affect that I've never seen before on any type of display system (Movie Theater, TV, My computer etc) - outside of a true 3-D system with glasses etc. While watching Shrek my movie screen looks surrealistically [is that a word?] like a window into a diffent world, and it's absolutely captivating. I've seen a similar 3-D affect from time to time on other movies, including Harry Potter, but none as consistent and convincing as Shrek.

My ranking so far would be:

* Shrek - Way out in front

* The Fifth Element - non superbit

* Men In Black

* Harry Potter

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
checked it out [ Rented It ] and it was good but not great [ LOTR will surely best it ] .

-- All I can say is that the future holds some amazing releases if they are up to the PQ of the A-Screeners . Monsters Inc. is going to be THE new dvd to own when it is released , this looks so amazing that even Shrek falls well short .

-- Best Wishes All ,

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
OK its my mistake. I should have looked here before I went to the vid store and rented "the Others" today. It sounds like "Harry" would have been a good one. Oh well the spousal unit will be happy.

Since people seem to be sounding off on transfers I have still to see a better one than "Starship Troopers." (rates a zero on the spousal approval scale though) I notice that the special ed 2 disk just came out. Anyone have it and is it better than the original.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey Curt,

Try the Stalone (Yo Adrian) DVD Driven. Lots of colors outdoor daytime scenes. Lots of Formula 1 car race action. It was only $9.99 CDN at Bloackbuster

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Curt i agree

I was especially amazed because it was my test disc for my htpc and without the htpc i couldnt play dvds on my pj so when i got it going even at 640x480 (gasp shock horror) I nearly fell over.

I think the best is with the troll or with fluffy the dog.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Well, I'll try again with a more objective eye. I did'nt see anythig special about it the first time but I'll look again. I saw Driven for the first time on std def sat last night which was enough to make me want to buy it. I think Shrek is the best. I know the story is lame but Jurassic Park 3 has some great parts for show off material as does Pearl Harbor. I hope the DVD version of Episode 2 is better than what I saw at the movies. While we are on the subject, It is my opinion that anyone with a mid to high end frt pj set up properly is getting a much better show than what you can get at the movies, even she said so.

Chip S.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm glad Curt brought this up, because it is giving me the opportunity to make a point that I've been pondering over for some time now.

I'll start by saying that I completely agree with Curt regarding the quality of this DVD. My wife and I were stunned by the picture quality and both agree that it is a new demo disc.

Now my point. I read the DVD reviews in a number of magazines, including Widescreen Review as well as at a number of websites. I find myself often not agreeing with the number rating given to the video quality of a DVD. Now then, I read in the text of the review what were the reasons for the downgrading of the picture quality score. Various reasons are given, including softness of picture, pixellation, edge enhancement, somewhat gray blacks, etc. In comparing a number of titles with a given picture score, let's say 4, I come up with a drastically different opinion than many of the reviewers. Such as this: So and so title, Phantom Menace for example, is given a picture score of 4 due to excessive edge enhancement. The rest of the picture is described as pristine, so the picture score is 4. Another title, Harry Potter for example, is given a picture score of 4 due to some softness and pixelization.

When I view these titles on my HTPC, CRT FP set up, I give Harry Potter a 5 and Phantom Menace between 3 and 3.5.

I find this to be the case on almost any newer DVD transfer. Consistently, titles with less edge enhancement score VERY high to me while titles with Edge Enhancement score VERY low to me. Again, this seems to hold true in almost EVERY case involving the transfer of a newer movie. All of the other things for which reviewers tend to downgrade the picture quality don't seem to make THAT much difference in my enjoyment of picture quality.

To sum things up, Edge Enhancement does seem to be the bane of DVD existence.

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Count me in as one who agrees with Jerome and KennyG. This was a great film with a wonderful story. It had a very appropriate Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtrack that sounded great to me. But the image certainly seemed a bit too soft, and the black level did seem a little murky in several scenes (much like the black levels in the movie "Heat"). Several outdoor close up shots looked clean and crisp and very sharp, but distant outdoor daylight shots and night time shots seemed to be most troublesome for this DVD.

BTW, those titles in Jerome's list of reference DVD titles above are indeed all reference quality.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INteresting comments! I have to buy more DVD's now, thanks!..:)

I took some screen shots today of it to list me newly retubed XG 110 on eBay (no, this is not a cheap plug!), and to my surprise the fleshtones turned out OK. My old Olympus camera shifts orange to brown, so movies like Chicken Run look horrible. I also could not get any decent shots off Fast and the Furious as the freezeframes are blurred.

Also, Harry Potter is one of the new movies that I actually watched...twice! in the last week...:)

When I get into that new house, the HT gets totally redone. Right now my imaging stinks! (audio, I mean!)

Curt

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
Also, Harry Potter is one of the new movies that I actually watched...twice! in the last week...:)
Confess, Curt.

I know your bio.

Harry Potter is your alter ego. You identified with the character.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a house full of 10 year olds that got rained out of a back yard campout on Friday night. So I had to find something to keep them quiet as they settled down to sleep.

I showed 'Apollo 13' using the sony 1031Q I recently salvaged (with the sage advice of many of you here). The lift off sequence is just awsome!

I'm not sure if the entire movie would qualify as reference. But those 5 minutes between countdown an orbit just blow me away. Did the boys, too. Nary a peep out of 'em.

Eric

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Eric,

Apollo 13's one of my favorite movies (I have both the DD5.1 collectors edition and the DTS 1.5Mbs fullrate version) and while the sound's pretty phenominal, the image is very soft given how recent the movie is. The transfer leaves a lot to be desired. For 1/4 of the movie, there's also a 2" vertical stripe at the extreme right of the screen (on an 8' wide screen) that's much much brighter then the rest of the image.

Though don't get me wrong: Content is king! The launch sequence and the score gives me goosebumps every time I watch it!

Kal

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, Laurence, you got me...:)

On the other hand, I watched American Pie 2 (Ok, so I rented it for Tara Reid only), and the picture was so bad, I had to throw in another DVD to make sure I didn't have a fault in my projector...

Curt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.