AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked a harry potter and the goblet of fire a few months ago, but never watched it. the main reason was the dark scenes where way to dark and i couldnt see anything. im playing the movie on my xbox 360 and i have done the most recent update. intermediate or expanded does not make a differnece at all.

my display is a samsung lns2641 and have tried different settings. i do have the new avia disk, but that doesnt help me without the other update that supposed to come out. anyone have any recommendations besides getting the A20? I love my 360 add on, but i havent been able to enjoy this fine imported hd-dvd as of yet.

thanks

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Do any other HD DVD titles look a little dark? It sounds like you need to calibrate your display. How does component look?

·
Premium Member
21,001 Posts
Your display needs to be properly calibrated. We have a forum dedicated to that aspect of the hobby. Here's a link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Depending on how long you are going to keep your display and how tech savy you are...I would suggest visiting the ISF website for a list of certified ISF techs in your area.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4404 /forum/post/0

I wish I could find a copy of it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk

And, yes, it sounds like the OP has an improperly calibrated display. Your brightness/contrast settings might be messed. At the very least (without going through the whole ISF calibration), you might want to get Digital Video Essentials and see if you can adjust. It may just need some simple tweaks.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I have GOF and am playing it on a 106" screen using H77 pj. calibration done professionally and I can say it looks and sounds great. I use component and there is no black crush problem. Long live component

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
My copy looks great over HDMI from my XA1. Not sure what black crush is. But my black levels look fine after running through DVE HD. Example. If a guy had on a black suit, it would look flat. Now, you can see the folds, and everything. Maybe his TV is crushing the blacks? Or the 360? I don't have one so I can't comment. Maybe someone with a 360 & Harry Potter could comment?

·
Registered
739 Posts
So I am looking at amazon uk and I was looking to buy it but I live in the USA and well the total price including shipping is $16.67 Euro. So I was using www.xe.com to figure it would cost me only $22.50US? Is that correct? That just seems so cheap lol for a movie coming from the UK?

That is using the air mail 6 to 10 days. But for that price it's going to be a must buy for me!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customgamer1 /forum/post/0

So I am looking at amazon uk and I was looking to buy it but I live in the USA and well the total price including shipping is $16.67 Euro. So I was using www.xe.com to figure it would cost me only $22.50US? Is that correct? That just seems so cheap lol for a movie coming from the UK?

That is using the air mail 6 to 10 days. But for that price it's going to be a must buy for me!

UK uses British Pounds. As weak as the dollar is, the price is more like $32 US.(roughly)

·
Registered
21,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customgamer1 /forum/post/0

Ummmm jsut to let you know the price is in pounds not Euros......15.97 Pounds equals about 31.68 US Dollars........

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te /forum/post/0

Ummmm jsut to let you know the price is in pounds not Euros......15.97 Pounds equals about 31.68 US Dollars........

I ball parked $32. couldn't remember if it was 2 to 1.

·
UHD Addict
40,000 Posts
Just get it from Xploited cinema. It might be a little more expensive, around $39.49 with shipping, but you'll receive it in 2 or 3 days with first class mail shipping.

Although I guess if you aren't in a rush, it's only $33 shipped from Amazon UK which actually is pretty good.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL77 /forum/post/0

Anyone know what the hold up is with why they havent released this in the uS yet?

Maybe it will come out near the next theatrical (which is seeming more unlikely as the date gets closer).

Or how about a $200-250 box set with all 7 by the next holiday season.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush /forum/post/0

Maybe it will come out near the next theatrical (which is seeming more unlikely as the date gets closer).

Or how about a $200-250 box set with all 7 by the next holiday season.

So, you think they'll release three movies in the next 18 months?

·
Registered
757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/0

So, you think they'll release three movies in the next 18 months?

They're supposed to be releasing the first three in Europe this fall.I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll release 1-4 here in the U.S. when they obviously ship HP and the Order of the Phoenix sometime this November.

I have the UK version of HP and the Goblet of Fire and have played it through my 360 drive a few times and it looks just as good as it does on my HD DVD player/34XS955.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush /forum/post/0

Oops, one every summer, all available as a box set before the holidays after the last one.

While I'm sure they're going to do that, I also don't think they'll hold back on the release of the previous films in the meantime. (At least, I hope not!)

The Half-Blood Prince isn't scheduled to be released until Nov. 2008. I don't think you'll see a "complete collection" of all 7 films any time before Christmas 2010.

That's a pretty long wait. I'm sure Goblet (and Phoenix... and probably the first 3 as well) will hit HD before that point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.