AVS Forum banner

8021 - 8040 of 8060 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's not the movies I'm looking for, it's the old Spine Tinglers intro WTXX would show before the movies. I keep hoping it'll pop up on YouTube. No biggie just thought I'd throw it out there in case someone had it squirreled away on an old tape somewhere.

Maybe "Svengooli" on ME-TV at 8 pm Saturdays has those films now,they show a lot of the old horror movies like the ones you listed..
He may have a web page that has movies linked..

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
WEDY doesn't use any bandwidth. They literally map the same video streams to two places.- Trip
So what is going on with WEDH? It would appear that they are just mapping WEDY to WEDH, but WEDH is down to about 8mbps, meaning about half the bandwidth is just... not being used? Again? They went from 9 to 12mbps, and now they're down to about 8. But what's even weirder is that I get WEDH, WEDH's subchannels, and WEDY's subchannels all quite reliably, but I don't get WEDY... do I need to rescan or something? Why would I get the subchannels and not the channel itself?

EDIT: I should note that the 8mbps encoding they are using now looks better than the old 9mbps encoding, almost as good as the 12mbps they were using before, but still, why not use the bandwidth? If they have two subchannels, shouldn't they be able to put about 16mbps on the main HD channel?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I wonder if they are preparing to bump PBS Kids up to 1080i? At least that would have them doing something with the extra bandwidth that seems to be unused at the moment.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
The last data I have, from April, showed the station using most of its bandwidth, with an aggressive-looking stat mux. TSReader shows the average over the time it runs, which means it won't show what it peaks at in high-bandwidth periods.

Has that changed?

- Trip

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The last data I have, from April, showed the station using most of its bandwidth, with an aggressive-looking stat mux. TSReader shows the average over the time it runs, which means it won't show what it peaks at in high-bandwidth periods.

Has that changed?

- Trip
A 1 hour show from Tuesday night is 4.01GB. I base all of my bitrates based on file sizes on TiVo, which isn't precise, but they're accurate within a few %. I haven't finished watching the show, but I don't believe that the TiVo lost signal or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I looked at a show from July and it was a bit over 9mbps. So they've got SD chewing up a bunch of excess bandwidth? And what's what looks like that third SD subchannel?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you're talking about the 1.17 Mbps stream on pid 0xFFFF, those are just null packets. (Basically whatever is left unused of the ~18 Mbps of data on RF 30's signal)

WEDH/WEDY has 3 video streams, but they are mapped differently on 24-x for WEDH and 65-x for WEDY
Video stream 0x0031 is CPTV HD, that's mapped to 24-1 and 65-3
Video stream 0x0041 is CPTV Kids SD, that's mapped to 24-2 and 65-2
Video stream 0x0051 is CPTV Spirit SD, that's mapped to 24-3 and 65-1

Each channel also has audio streams for main audio, SAP, and the third one is probably a simulcast of WNPR Radio.

Having CPTV Spirit on 65-1 lets them use WEDY's must carry status to get Spirit on the local satellite lineup for Hartford. Dish already has it, and DirecTV should be adding it soon since the next must carry cycle starts in January.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you're talking about the 1.17 Mbps stream on pid 0xFFFF, those are just null packets. (Basically whatever is left unused of the ~18 Mbps of data on RF 30's signal)

WEDH/WEDY has 3 video streams, but they are mapped differently on 24-x for WEDH and 65-x for WEDY
Video stream 0x0031 is CPTV HD, that's mapped to 24-1 and 65-3
Video stream 0x0041 is CPTV Kids SD, that's mapped to 24-2 and 65-2
Video stream 0x0051 is CPTV Spirit SD, that's mapped to 24-3 and 65-1

Each channel also has audio streams for main audio, SAP, and the third one is probably a simulcast of WNPR Radio.

Having CPTV Spirit on 65-1 lets them use WEDY's must carry status to get Spirit on the local satellite lineup for Hartford. Dish already has it, and DirecTV should be adding it soon since the next must carry cycle starts in January.
I'm trying to figure out how that compares to, say, WVIT-DT, where they have two HDs and a couple of SDs all on the same channel. It's also baffling that I can get 24-1 but not 65-3. It must be a scan issue of some sort. Not that I care, I use 24-1, it's just weird. That's really interesting about the must-carry status. I just wonder why they aren't giving the main WEDH feed more bandwidth, or putting PBS Kids up in HD. And why would there be a null stream? Wouldn't they just have it set to give that bitrate to the main HD feed? Their quality has improved, but for a station with only 1 HD, they are really, really skimpy on the bandwidth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A few weeks ago, I signed up on a website that will notify me when ATSC 3.0 launches in Hartford, New Haven, and Springfield. Originally scheduled to happen this year but delayed by the pandemic, 3.0 won't start in Connecticut until sometime in 2021. But tonight I noticed that the website is showing that WWLP in Springfield is now broadcasting in 3.0 (also called NextGen TV):

watchnextgentv.com/markets/springfield-ma/

Springfield has moved from the list of cities in the category "Coming in 2020" to the category "On Air", and has the distinction of having the only TV station in the Northeast to accomplish this.

watchnextgentv.com (Scroll down the page.)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeah, that was brought up a month ago in the Springfield thread as soon as the station made their NextGen filing. Also, it's not WWLP's signal broadcasting in ATSC 3.0, it's their Class A sister station WFXQ-CD's RF 21 signal. That signal is highly directional with most of its power pointed north, and because of WEDW and WSBK, most of Connecticut will have little chance of picking that signal up unless you are close to the Springfield section of the CT/MA border.

If someone in Hartford makes their NextGen filing with the FCC, you'll likely hear about it in this thread first long before any of those sites have anything about it, and you'll get much more accurate details.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks, KyL416. I've wondered before how many over-the-air viewers in western Massachusetts actually can receive WFXQ. It would seem that the majority of antenna viewers in that area are getting WWLP through the full power station.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, I'd never been able to get WFXQ when it was a 1.0 station. Just WWLP. But hopefully, whenever I get the money for that HDHomeRun 4K, I'll be able to get WFXQ in its fancy new 3.0 signal.

8021 - 8040 of 8060 Posts