AVS Forum banner

8041 - 8060 of 8060 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Springfield has moved from the list of cities in the category "Coming in 2020" to the category "On Air", and has the distinction of having the only TV station in the Northeast to accomplish this.

watchnextgentv.com (Scroll down the page.)
FWIW, ATSC 3.0 is also on in Pittsburgh. Geographically, Pennsylvania is considered as part of the NE USA. Politically and culturally, not so much.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm no longer seeing it either. I know they moved it after the repack but I never understood why it was necessary. Was the content any different than the main WEDH 24?
WEDY had CPTV Spirit on the -1 which gave it "must carry" rights as WEDY and WEDH are separate licenses. It's like when Ion buys a separate station and puts Ion Plus on the -1 of that new station even though its on the same RF station as the Ion affiliate

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Can someone recommend a couple of alternatives for me. Location is New Haven near shore and am cutting the Cable cord. If I go with indoors, what antenna would be good for that; if i go outdoors what antenna for that is good? If I go outdoors will probably use rotator and an antenna amp. Final decision as to in or out will be the WAF most likely. Anyone got any ideas here? Last I knew CBS out of Hartford will be difficult due to terrain for any kind of antenna, but that may be outdated information a I have not kept up on that subject.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depends on what channels you're looking for. A lot of people start with TV Fool, but TV Fool sucks; it hasn't been updates in years. RabbitEars.info should be a good baseline to start from. Just put your address on the map and search away. If you live close to the stations, then an indoor antenna will suffice, but most stations will require at least an amplified antenna, at least in my experience. If you really want to receive as much as possible, then an outdoor antenna is necessary to get far away stations. But again, it depends on what you want. Stations with a stronger signal to your area will need less work to get in.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Can someone recommend a couple of alternatives for me. Location is New Haven near shore and am cutting the Cable cord. If I go with indoors, what antenna would be good for that; if i go outdoors what antenna for that is good? If I go outdoors will probably use rotator and an antenna amp. Final decision as to in or out will be the WAF most likely. Anyone got any ideas here? Last I knew CBS out of Hartford will be difficult due to terrain for any kind of antenna, but that may be outdated information a I have not kept up on that subject.
First, like MadMan said, go to RabbitEars.info and use the "Signal Search Map" tool. Just make sure to enter in the correct height AGL for the proposed antenna. Then, post the results on this thread. I did one for downtown New Haven at 30 feet AGL to get a feel of the area. An indoor "set top" antenna might only get you WTNH/WCTX plus CPTV out of Bridgeport. If you have an attic, and can install a moderate sized antenna there, you should be able to receive the Hartford stations fairly well. With a large rooftop antenna, high enough to avoid obstructions, you might be able to receive some NYC stations. Obviously, conditions could be different depending on where you are actually located.

·
Registered
294 Posts
First, like MadMan said, go to RabbitEars.info and use the "Signal Search Map" tool. Just make sure to enter in the correct height AGL for the proposed antenna. Then, post the results on this thread. I did one for downtown New Haven at 30 feet AGL to get a feel of the area. An indoor "set top" antenna might only get you WTNH/WCTX plus CPTV out of Bridgeport. If you have an attic, and can install a moderate sized antenna there, you should be able to receive the Hartford stations fairly well. With a large rooftop antenna, high enough to avoid obstructions, you might be able to receive some NYC stations. Obviously, conditions could be different depending on where you are actually located.
Well if you are on the shore you're pretty low. If possible I would not even consider indoor. Most cases I've seen, including me, are disappointed with indoor. You also have the East rock West rock slot to deal with. Not great for Hartford stations.
I'm using this
Modest investment and works well. Of course I am probably in a better location than you. Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a question about the apparent dead zones for WRNT (32) and WHCT (35). I didn't know WRNT existed until someone in East Windsor had it on their TV. I get WHCT reasonably well. I'm north of the transmitters, about 1.5 miles from the Massachusetts border. I see on Rabbitears that there is a small arc with no signal, even when very close to the transmitter. WHCT has a similar zone toward the north east. I see WRNT is 889' MSL and WHCT is 1289' MSL, so that probably accounts for some of the difference, but I was wondering why there is the wedge of no signal? Is the tower getting in the way in that direction?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Talcott Mountain is blocking the signal in that direction.

- Trip

Reactions: Brian in CT

·
Registered
87 Posts
Talcott Mountain is blocking the signal in that direction.

- Trip
So starting at 889' with that 950' hill in the way, My GPS shows me at 230', add 20' antenna height, subtract 172' for earth curve over 16 miles, and it ain't getting here.
WHCT at 1289' must just pop out over the top.
Thanks.

I'll have to look elsewhere for my cheese news (Cheddar)

·
Registered
270 Posts
So starting at 889' with that 950' hill in the way, My GPS shows me at 230', add 20' antenna height, subtract 172' for earth curve over 16 miles, and it ain't getting here.
WHCT at 1289' must just pop out over the top.
Thanks.

I'll have to look elsewhere for my cheese news (Cheddar)
You can watch Cheddar for free on Pluto TV and many other free TV sources:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, it's always nice when diginets are able to put their programming on free streaming services like Pluto, Stirr, and the like. Sadly, rights issues mean such broadcasts aren't especially common; not counting the Ion networks, the only Katz network one can watch live online is Court TV, and none of the Weigel networks are available that way to my knowledge. As for Cozi TV, there's no free streaming, but it is available on certain vMPVDs, as are a few subchannels of O&O stations.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I didn't know WRNT existed until someone in East Windsor had it on their TV.
Here in East Windsor it has been coming in fairly well since November, but during the spring and summer it's another story. During the warmer months the picture and sound break up almost continuously to make the channel unwatchable, or the channel is just black (no reception).

Channel 32-2 was the only WRNT subchannel that I had put in my line-up on the TIVO because it carries Sony's Get TV. The picture quality isn't all that great because they stretch video that was originally recorded in the 4:3 ratio to fill a 16:9 screen without sidebars, giving a distorted funhouse mirror effect, plus there's a lot of graininess in the picture.

I had forgotten which Spanish language network was on the main channel, so I looked up WRNT on Wikipedia. Azteca America is on the primary channel. Through Wikipedia I found out tonight that game show network Buzzr is now on WRNT's channel 32-6. I don't know if this is a recent addition because Buzzr's own website has a map that shows no Buzzr affiliates in Connecticut. I found 32-6 in my TIVO's channel list and added it to my presets. My TIVO doesn't label this channel as Buzzr and there are no program titles or descriptions in the guide, but the picture quality is good.

At my location WRNT comes in better than New Haven's Channel 8, which is often a black screen.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Antennas are a bit of voodoo magic. I was able to get all the Hartford channels using an attic mounted ClearStream 2, but that was at about 30' AGL at fairly high elevation 4 miles in from the Sound. It really depends on the local terrain, foliage, building materials if mounting indoors, etc. You could look at a large antenna like the DB8e for UHF and get a separate VHF antenna for WTNH, but that may be overkill. YMMV.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You could look at a large antenna like the DB8e for UHF and get a separate VHF antenna for WTNH, but that may be overkill. YMMV.
Thank you for the suggestion, I did a search on the DB8e to check it out. Unfortunately my apartment lease prohibits outdoor antennas, but I do have a similar large antenna that is intended for outdoor or attic use mounted on a tripod. It is inside on the second floor right near a large window. The eastern bank of the Connecticut River is about ten minutes away by foot.

Channel 8 comes in with no problems at some times, but is missing in action or breaking up at other times. I've wondered if WTNH is considering having a secondary transmitter in the Greater Hartford area as part of its upgrade to ATSC 3.0. It would seem that they would need it if they want good mobile reception to make the broadcast channels relevant to smart phone users.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Channel 8 comes in with no problems at some times, but is missing in action or breaking up at other times. I've wondered if WTNH is considering having a secondary transmitter in the Greater Hartford area as part of its upgrade to ATSC 3.0. It would seem that they would need it if they want good mobile reception to make the broadcast channels relevant to smart phone users.
WTNH never had great reception in the Hartford area, even back in the analog days. I lived in several different towns in the Hartford area during the 80's and 90's and WTNH was always quite weak. I remember watching it with a snowy picture. CT has always been a tough place for OTA reception because the signals come from too many different directions - Rattlesnake Mtn., Avon Mtn., and Hamden/New Haven (WTNH). It was even worse in the analog days when you also had WTXX coming from Waterbury and WHPX coming from the New London area. There was so much variation in distance and direction.

8041 - 8060 of 8060 Posts