AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to place an order with them today. The item I wanted was on clearance at a relatively good price. I received a confirmation email and everything. Several hours later I get an email from them saying the item I ordered a vga to component transcoder is not available. But, the agent I spoke to said I can purchase it at a higher price, the exact same item that is. Initially there were 2 of the items available I later checked the site and the site still showed 1 of the items available at the clearance. The agent said there was probably a problem with the site. When I explained that I was not happy with this and that I would be rating her site negatively she just blew me off and said I am sure you will. Some customer service. I buy tons of electronics online and Usually have very good experiences. But, this one was sad. Is this how they normally do business or did I catch them at a bad time?

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I have used Smarthome.com to order home automation hardware since early 1999. I think you just had a bad experience; which is unfortunate. I have had only good experiences, even with their specials and rush deliveries.

What sets them apart from other online stores is their knowledgable pre-sales tech support service.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've ordered a good bit of X-10 related stuff from them. Their own hardware (they build some of their own X-10 and automation stuff) is not the ultimate by any means, but its usually ok. I've not had any problems with orders or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Well, if you ask me, I hope they taped the phone-call. Then you should call back, ask to talk to a manager, and let him take appropriate action with your "service"-representative.

-Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent a resounding email reply to their customer service department and i am going to follow up with a written correspondence. Thanks for All the replies

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If you read the fine print on their clearance page, the stock is not updated in 'real time', so it is a bit deceiving to see that great item you've been looking for at a reduced price...to find out that the clearance item is gone....

I don't know how often the update those prices/inventories (clearance) but it seems to be few and far between...

Otherwise, I've been very happy with smarthome...

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Never had any problems here/

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
They have a nice website and I've used them. But I get most of my stuff from Worthington and Home automation Net . Those are the shops most "power-x10" users use

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had the same experience you've had buying an Audio Authority 1155 2 months ago. Decided to cancel the order then and order from another company which stocked the item.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I checked here.

I was just about to order the exact same item "on clearance" "one left".

Thanks, I'll use Digital Connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.