AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder whether any of you, fellows, has "auditioned" Madrigal's MP-D1 D-ILA front projector.

....and when I say "Auditioned", I am specifically talking about the amount of noise emitted by this D-ILA projector. Is this MP-D1 as noisy as other (cheaper) D-ILA projectors?

For $26k, I'd expect noise not to be an issue on this piece of gear. Am I right?

Thanks for sharing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

J.V. Gomez

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
J.V.

Probably not.

The reason for the noise in the JVC D-ILA is the high

flow rates for the cooling air necessary to cool the

Xenon arc lamps that the JVCs use as a light source.

The Madrigal MP-D1 retains the use of the Xenon arc lamp,

and hence will require the high flow rates of cooling air.

Madrigal may have quieted their projector a little; but I

wouldn't expect massive improvement.

Christie Digital took an alternate tack for their product,

"Vivid Red" - they use the JVC LCOS chips - but the optical

design is Christie's and they use a UHP bulb which runs

cooler.

However, as Madrigal points out on their webpage on the

MP-D1, the Xenon arc lamp gives richer color. This makes

sense, because the "color temperature" is higher for the

hot running Xenon arc lamp.

I would bet that Madrigal went for the best possible

picture quality - meaning the Xenon arc lamp and the noise

and expect that anyone that can afford $26K for their

projector can also afford to buy a hushbox or a projector

room for the MP-D1.

Greg

·
Registered
414 Posts
I saw and heard the Madrigal DILA at a Definitive Audio show here locally a couple of months. It is identical to the JVCs in terms of case and noise (though the case is painted a two tone black). It is very loud.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Xenon gas arc lamps produce a color spectrum temperature of around 6500 degrees, just as NTSC specifies for its gray scale tracking, thus helping in the production of accurate colimetry.

Unfortunately, other lamp types (less costly too) that use different gases does not share those same characteristics...

-THTS

[This message has been edited by Frank J Manrique (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I saw the Madrigal in San Francisco, running "Gladiator" (a poor choice given its color palettes but that is what they were running).

The presentation was not at all impressive. The picture was very grainy, contrast poor, and colors were not impressive. The salesperson was apologizing for the screen, claiming that they are getting a Grayhawk.

I do not know what the state of the calibration was. I have seen D-ILA's before and have been very impressed, so I have to believe that this was not optimal. But it was not impressive for $26K. The Dwin in the next room looked very much better for less than half the price.

BTW: Morbius: what can you tell me about Vivid Red? I have read the Christie Digital web site. How much is it, and how good is it?

[This message has been edited by rlsmith (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
For about $500 you can get a Whisperflow hushbox for a G15. I have one for my G15 and it is as quiet as ANY digital projector that I've heard.

For less money than the Madrigal I'd get a JVC DLA G150HT Cineline, a hushbox, a Panamorph or ISCO II lens, a Grayhawk screen, add a nice scaler (or HTPC), and have it professionally calibrated.

-Dean.

[This message has been edited by Dean McManis (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Dean. I have seen the Madrigal D-ILA, and it looks very nice. In my opinion no way is it worth the $26K price.

I talked at lenght to the Madrigal rep and he confirmed it is a JVC G-15 with "hand picked panels" and "special calibration." You can decide for yourself how much you think these two upgrades are worth. Oh yes, and it still needs a hushbox. Reed.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
rlsmith,

I don't know any more than what I've posted above, and

what's on the Christie website. Sorry.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.