AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hoping to get thoughts of people who went from a 1080i rptv to a 720p front projector i am hoping to upgrade in the spring right now i sit about 10 feet from my 62inch rptv when i get rid of my tv i will sit about 11-12 feet from the screen.i am happy with my HD picture now with cable and HDDVD i just want the movie theather feel so i need a bigger screen but will i miss 1080i or will 720p be better i just do not want to down grade my picture.my room is totally dark will watch mainlly HD movies,HD tv shows very little gaming.the projectors i have been looking at so far are HD70,SONY HS60,AND HD1000U.any thought would be a BIG help i am very new to the front projector.THANK YOU

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
If you keep the screen at about 80" or smaller you should be OK with a 720P at that distance. If you want an 8 ft wide or larger screen you will probably see pixel stucture at that distance. With a 10' seating distance, the wise thing would be to go look at a 720p with a similar screen size and distance, preferrably a similar projector as to what you want to purchase. You also see more artifacts of all types when sitting at a close ratio of screen width/viewing distance.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do not have any stores around me that have displays of FP the only place that has a small display is cc they the HD70 set up on a very small display showing a 30 inch screen.i was hoping for about a 84 inch screen at seating about 11 feet away do you think that would work?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have done it and still use both displays. My viewing distance for the projector (Sanyo Z3 at 100") is 11' Looks great. I bet a panny with smooth screen will be perfect.

We LOVE the project and think the picture is excellent. People are amazed withthe quality of the picture.

Do you have good light control?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sold my 52" 1080i RPTV 2 weeks ago and bought my HD70 and I don't regret it for a second. The projector looks absolutely fantastic once you get it setup and calibrated to your liking. The ability to get a crisp HD picture on a huge 100"+ screen is awesome, especially when you can buy a projector that will do it for under a grand.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I have a Hitachi 57S700 CRT RPTV(1080i), which I've enjoyed for 2 years, fantastic picture, especially running HD DVDS, my seating is app. 8' away.

I just bought a Sharp DT-500, I wanted a PJ that had a small offset( if fixed of course), and this fit the bill, LCDS will give you greater flexibilty in placement, but I prefer DLP.

I don't even have a real screen right now, I'm projecting onto a Brownish Gray wall, and while the pic isn't quite up to par in comparison to the 57" (blacks- can't beat CRT blacks), it looks fantastic.

The blacks are still VG, and if that RPTV you already have is a CRT, you will notice it, but it is NOT bad.

BTW none of the PJ's at this price point can display black like the CRT.

NONE.

This PJ throws a fantastic picture, at a VG cost right now, it is a short throw lens(I'm throwing about 100 or so at around 10').

Depending on what you want, and/or need out of a pj will determine what you end up with.

My goals were 110 or so @ 11+'(done), good blacks(done),small offset due to 7.5' ceilings(done), great picture at a reasonable cost (done).

There are some VG PJ's out there right now at a reasonable cost, I just happened to pick this one, and I'm happy.

'Tis a good time to be in the market for a reasonably priced HD PJ.

EDIT: BTW, I haven't setup my room yet, this is a tempoarary setup, and I have no SDE at 8' viewing distance,

Happy Hunting!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had the exact same concern when I bought my Panasonic AE700 a year and a half ago. I have a Mitsubishi 73" HD RPTV that is 1080i. I was worried that I would notice a loss of resolution going to 720p with the Panisonic FP. I have to tell you that for most situations I actually prefer the projector to the Mits. I have a 120" drop down screen so I am able to still use the RPTV for sports and the PJ for movies. I sit at about 13' and the picture is amazing! Just make sure you have light control so your image doesn't wash out.

Good luck

Stace

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You are totally set. Go get yourself a projector man.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is the op.i did finally order my projector went with the MITS.HD1000U should be here middle of next week.THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP WILL PROBALLY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS WHEN IT ARRIVES AND START HOOKING IT UP.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Most CRT RPTV's max out at 1200 lines of resolution. So you'll see slightly more horizontal resolution from a 720P projector. I have a room setup with my 65" Mits for normal daylight viewing and project at night on a 106" screen with 720P Projector. Movies are so much more absorbing and HD-DVD and BD look suuperb on my Sharp DT-400.

TV Mitsubishi WS65813

Projector Sharp DT-400

HD-DVD Tosbhina A1

BD PS3

Denon 3806 HDMI

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
How did it work out for ya??

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton /forum/post/9572808

If you keep the screen at about 80" or smaller you should be OK with a 720P at that distance. If you want an 8 ft wide or larger screen you will probably see pixel stucture at that distance. With a 10' seating distance, the wise thing would be to go look at a 720p with a similar screen size and distance, preferrably a similar projector as to what you want to purchase. You also see more artifacts of all types when sitting at a close ratio of screen width/viewing distance.

I sit 10 feet from my 92" screen and I don't see any SDE from my HD70.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went from a 55" 1080i Mit to a 110" pic from a Panny AX100 at 720P and all I can say is that I didn't realize before how much quality I was wasting on that 55" screen. HDTV looks great and HD-DVDs are freaking incredible. Very rarely do I notice pixels. HD scales up very very well at 720P IMO.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISMO1 /forum/post/9849260

this is the op.i did finally order my projector went with the MITS.HD1000U should be here middle of next week.THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP WILL PROBALLY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS WHEN IT ARRIVES AND START HOOKING IT UP.

You should be very happy. Just remember light control and THINK BIG. That's where PJs shine. Don't settle for a puny 80 inch image. You'll want a decent screen to get top performance also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.