AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all these posts of new D* subscribers for HDNet having tons of problems getting a good signal on the 119 bird. My question is, is there anybody that has gotten a good signal with an eliptical dish? I want to know because I rather have 2 dishes set up for D* and E*, instead of having 4. (dish 500, E* 61.5, D* 119, D* 101)

Thanx!

------------------
Mitsubishi WS-55805

2 RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

Technics SA-DX940

Sony Playstation 2
s>

·
Registered
36 Posts
i actually tried tonight, i was able to get the 119, and the 101 separetly but not together. instead of wasteing any more time i just put another satellite beside it, and was able to get both signals very eaisly, one day i might try to get them, i think i can get them but it was getting dark, is there alot of trees where you live? i have huge trees in my back yard, but was able to get 94 signal on both dishes

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I get high 80s to low 90s on 101, and mid 70s to mid 80s on 119 using an elliptical dish. It took a long time to get it tuned, though. Also, I was able to get a signal in the low 90s shooting for 119 alone, and mid 90s shooting for 101 alone, but could get the max signals with both at the same time.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
It's not necessary to get a "very high" signal on the 119 sat. I get a 55-65 signal on 119 and a 90-95 on 101, but I almost never have a problem with my 119 reception, even though at times the signal drops as low as 20-30 during certain weather periods. When it starts getting into the teens, I begin losing the picture. If you can get over 50, you have no problem.

------------------

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I'll tell you what I've done here in the last few days.

I recently went High Def (Mits 55" HDTV, Hughes HD receiver for D# and 18X24 D* dish). Not being happy with D*'s HD programming (HDNet is nice, but MLB and NHL are my least favorite sports and I really wanted CBS-HD), decided to move to E* and use my existing 18X24 and my old 18 dish from D*.

Before the move, I was getting over 90 signal strength on 101 and above 70 on 119. Didn't have any problems with PQ or drop outs.

Tonight, I moved over to E*. Mounted the 18" and pointed it to 148 and am getting over 90 signal. Moved the SAT A (101) LNB to the middle position. Now 119 is over 90 signal strength and 110 is a bit over 70 on E*. Haven't tried tweaking the dish any yet, and haven't noticed any problems yet with reception.

It does seem, as mentioned here in other posts, that D*'s 119 signal is not as strong, but suffecient enough for ok reception.

As for my opinion, just having moved from D* to E*, from what little bit I've seen on my HDTV, D* has better PQ when in SD (not as fuzzy) but seem about the same with 1080i output.

Now if we can keep after Mr. Cuban to allow HDNet on DISH as well, all will be one with the universe!

HTH,

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Could re-title confessions of a 3 dish user.

Just this past weekend I did the switch from an 18" for 61.5, an elliptical for 101 & 110 SatC (useless), and a Dish 500 (TWIN) 110 & 119, sharing 119 (with a kludge, because I couldn't 119 on the elliptical on the other end of the house).

We'll a porch was going up so I broke down and ran 6 new Rg6 QS up through the attic and down to the basement, bought a SW64, a new LNB and implemented 8a in the infamous Kevin Timmerman dbs_tech pages.

All I can say is that it works fantastically. I get lower strength on 119 on my DST-3000 (40s) but I have not had a drop out yet. Pronto programming and switching between the 6000 & DST-3000 is easier than ever.

I'm a pretty happy camper. I was really soured on the elliptical when I had just the DTC-100 and put it up two years ago this Feb and the leaves proceeded to block it out. Getting to a better vantage point made the difference.

Plumb mount, right skew and elevation, and with a meter is still a major pain in the but to adjust correctly (the better part of an afternoon) to balance the strengths, but it is worth the effort.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed mine at 12:30 in the morning.. Could not sleep wanted my HDTV picture toooo bad. Took about 10 min to bolt it to the house(neighbors must have thought I was crazy)and ran a temporary cable to the house. After 10 min of single searching I found it was at 80 on the 110 and 35 on the 119. Activated my acct and stayed up rest of night flipping between demo and HBO channels. After I got home from work started to fine tune took about 30 min but ended up with 85 on 110 and 83 on 119. The major change in the end was moving the elevation from 34 to 39. hope this helps hang in there you will get it. :b

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had no problem at all installing and setting up the elliptical dish. They key, I believe, was ensuring the mast was absolutely plumb and level - and the tilt was set correctly.

I get high 80s to low 90s on 101, and mid 70s to mid 80s on 119 using the elliptical dish. I never did try to improve the 119 signal since I haven't experienced any problems with the reception (not to mention that the dish is mounted twenty-five feet up the side of the house in order to avoid my 40-50 foot Ponderosa pines).

·
Registered
200 Posts
North Denver, Thornton

Direct and clear view to south.

Elliptical Direct TV dish.

signal strength on 119 transponder 16: 82

signal strength on 101 transponder 5: 84

these numbers hold for other transponders.

this was about as high as I could get it.

I get about the same numbers on corresponding transponders on my RCA Ultimate TV setup using a round dish with dual LNB's.

How many receivers should a man have??

dan

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R:
110=low to mid 90's

119=mid to high 80's
exactly my case.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoders>
DirecTV HDs>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have the elliptical dish. I had a lot of trees when it was first installed. The 119 signal was lower, but never lost it except when I also lost the 101 during rain. Here are/were my numbers:

With trees:

101: low 90's

119: high 60's to low 70's

Without trees:

101: mid 90's

119: mid to high 80's

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get 90-94 on both birds. The key to this is trying to position the dish so that you have almost equal signal levels on both birds, you may sacrifice some on one bird, but its much better to keep them balanced which is why my 119 signal is so good! The tilt adjustment seems to be the most critical. I connected a small tv outside my house so I could monitor the results as I made adjustments (without having to run back in the house and check constantly!) and with a little trial and error, I finally got it in 30 to 40 minutes.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got 70s on 101 and 30s on 119 and when the wind blew my hd went out because of trees in the way. I chopped down a huge cypress tree today (on sunday at that) and now I get 95 on 101 and 92 on 119. I have lots of cleanup to do tomorrow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I get both 101 and 119 in the upper 80's to low 90's

·
Registered
190 Posts
A real quick note....

I think many people here will tell you that the elevation numbers on the web and from your receiver are often too low for an elliptical dish. Or perhaps a more accurate statement is that the elevation and tilt given to you by your receiver are not always 100% correct. I would suggest the following steps:

1. Set the tilt and elevation as directed by your receiver.

2. Tune the azimuth and try to find the 101 satellite on either LNB (101 or 119 if using Directv).

3. Then adjust tilt or elevation to get the signal on the correct LNB.

In my case using the settings suggested by the receiver I could get the 101 satellite on the 119 LNB but not the 101 LNB. After increasing the elevation by about 4 degrees I was able to get both satellites at about 80 signal strength.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.