AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really wondering. I'm going to be getting a benq pe7700 this weekend, and have heard a couple people with DLP rptv's complaining that they see rainbows everywhere because of the DLP wheel... Just wondering if FP's were better for rainbows, or wether they were the same....and that this movie is a good test.

I'm still getting the benq, cus I dont think I've ever seen a rainbow with any of the DLP's I've watched..I just was wondering what peoples opinions on this were with this perticular movie. And LCD people...I dont need to hear about "I should get a LCD blah blah blah".

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Can't help you on the projector, but I'm interested in the answers you get. I will say, that movie is something. If anyone can see rainbows through the content, I'd say they are looking too close.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I watched it recently on my X1. I only saw rainbows a couple of times when I tried to see them. :)

Other than that I didn't see any. I think people that see rainbows dart their eyes more than they realize. Probably looking for flaws in their system. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I watched it last night on my 4805. The only time I ever saw rainbows was if I glanced my eyes from one part of the screen to other side quickly. thats it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I watched it on my BenQ 7700 and it looked great. This is one movie where my PJ really showed it's stuff over my Sony LCD, the blacks and dark colors looked great.

I too was worried about rainbows before I got my BenQ, as I had read so much about them. I went to a local shop and watched a couple DLP Pj's and did not notice anything other than a great picture. I really think this issue has blown way out of proportion.

Compared to my Sony LCD, the BenQ has a much better picture on all formats I have sent it; oar HD-oarSD-DirectvHD-DirectvSD-DVD.

I would recommend going to a local shop and look at the DLP players, do not look for anything just watch.

I am very happy with my BenQ and would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a PJ near it's price range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys...

like I said, I've viewed many DLP RPTV's and haven't noticed any rainbows, so I was basically wondering if the FP's were the same thing. The only reason why I mentioned Sin City as a reference is obviously cause its a high contrast flim.

Thanks for the input, and I'll be jumping on that projector this weekend.

peace

·
Registered
456 Posts
I picked up the DVD of this movie strictly on word of mouth. I haven't watched it yet, because I'm planning on it being the premiere movie in my new home theater, which is ALMOST finished. Couple more weeks to go... I take it the movie was worth picking up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since Sin City is on topic, an I saw it yesterday, I would like to add that watching the body of Lucille on a 96" screen was awesome. Can't comment about rainbows because my projector is an LCD.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe
I watched it on my BenQ 7700 and it looked great. This is one movie where my PJ really showed it's stuff over my Sony LCD, the blacks and dark colors looked great.

I too was worried about rainbows before I got my BenQ, as I had read so much about them. I went to a local shop and watched a couple DLP Pj's and did not notice anything other than a great picture. I really think this issue has blown way out of proportion.

Compared to my Sony LCD, the BenQ has a much better picture on all formats I have sent it; oar HD-oarSD-DirectvHD-DirectvSD-DVD.

I would recommend going to a local shop and look at the DLP players, do not look for anything just watch.

I am very happy with my BenQ and would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a PJ near it's price range.
Unfortunatly this is not the case. I can see them very well even on the latest 5X color wheels. All I have to do is blink and I can notice them. Some scenes are worse then others buy they are present. My Wife, Son, Mother and Father also noticed them without prior notice of what to look for. I have seen them also on RP DLP sets as well. It's a shame because the DLPs do throw a great picture and that's why a SIM2 3 chipper is likely in my future. :D

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I too have the curse of the RBE. It was like fireworks for me and it's THE reason why I did not keep the 7700. I can see it just by looking at the light coming off the lense. I don't think you should worry though but just see if you can demo the unit before you are committed. There are a couple of online sites where you can use the pj for a few hours and still return it without restocking fees.

Again, people say it's blown out of proportion because it is possible that they are not as sensitive to it. I was told by a high volume dealer that mostly women and people that think out of the right side of their brain are more susceptible to RBE.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Never seen a rainbow. Did not see it on Sin City. I did demo a few scenes from Sin City for a few HT enthusiasts and they saw rainbows when they were looking for them.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I would say that Sin City is a pretty good test DVD for rainbows. I watched it on an MT700 (same as the PE7700) and saw rainbows occasionally (very briefly). On most other DVDs I never see them at all. In any event, they were so brief as to not be objectionable.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I saw a lot of rainbows on my 4805 and screen door as well. I now have an AE700 on order to compare them. Whichever is better (I'm obviously betting that the Panny is) I'll be keeping and the other will go back to the store.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I see RBs occasionally on my NEC Ht1000 but the longer I've owned it ( over 3 years now) the less I see them. I expect to see an occasional flash on Sin City with all those bright whites against a dark background, but they really won't bother me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm very suppceptible to rainbows, and I just watched Sin City on my Optoma H31. yes, I saw a lot of rainbows, more than some movies.

When I get engrossed in the show, I don't really notice them, but on certain scenes especially when a white object against the black ground moved, I saw it very clearly.

Heck, try this:

Get a HTPC set up. Start Zoom Player. Move your mouse around. The white mouse against a solid black background gives you RBE galore. If you don't see them there, you won't see them.

That being said, even with the constant RBE, if you really pay attention to the movie, odds are the RBE won't bother you.

Oh, and I 2nd that post about Lucille. :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I use to see rainbows a lot, now it is very rare to see one. Even on Sin City I didnt notice any.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
I see RBs occasionally on my NEC Ht1000 but the longer I've owned it ( over 3 years now) the less I see them. I expect to see an occasional flash on Sin City with all those bright whites against a dark background, but they really won't bother me.
I just watched Sin City on my HT1000 a couple nights ago, and you pretty much summed it up. I did see a couple flashes of rainbow during the movie, but that was it. Actually, it's amazing to me that B&W movies are watchable at all on single chip DLP projectors, but I've never really noticed any more rainbows on B&W movies than on color movies.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Watched parts of Sin City last night on my Optoma H31, didn't see any rainbows, but I don't think I'm sensitive to them. My friend didn't see any either.

BTW, I saw Sin City in the Digital Theater @ Arclight Hollywood and it was spectacular! Nice contrast, sharp pic, lots of detail. I have been so disappointed with film in theaters since the prints seem to not be in good shape, many generations down, bad maintenance, etc., but the Digital Theater seemed to take the 'Idiot' and costs cutting out of the equation.

I was eager to see Sin City on DVD on my H31 too compare to the Commercial digital theater and I tell you, It looked awesome! With 3 something months between seeing it in the digital theater and then seeing it on my projector, I can't tell any difference between the 2. I'm sure if there was a side by side comparison, I could probably tell, but that just isn't possible. I tried to make a mental note of the pic qualities when I watched it in the theater, just so I could compare the dvd when it came out, since this seems to be an all digital movie.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with my H31. Sin City dvd showed what it's capable of and competing with a $100K+ (?) projector (of course I only have a 60" wide screen!), was a happy surprise.

Fleaman

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.