AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know some audiophiles do not recommend use ferrites with audio cables.

How about video - VGA and S-VHS cables,

is it worth to use ferrites on VGA to KVM switch to digital projector?

-----

Alex

-----

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Most VGA cables already have ferrites that are sized properly for the cable. If you just put ferrites without using the proper size you may actually experience worse results than without. My advice is to just get some good cables from BetterCables or other quality cable supplier.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I build most of my own cables. I built a VGA breakout cable and used coax without ferrite beads, and had no problems. My understanding is that ferrite beads are to stop ringing, which can be caused by having an impedence mismatch, but I may be wrong. After having built a VGA breakout cable, I would not do it again and recommend purchasing a cable from a quality vendor. There are a number to choose from.

SM

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The usual purpose of ferrites has nothing to do with performance, rather they are added so that the equipment does not radiate EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) in excess of FCC limits. The usual source of radiation is the outer shield of the cable. In the past I have removed ferrites to improve video performance, on my own equipment. In every case, if I could not observe or measure improved performance, I replaced the ferrites, as not to subject myself and my other equipment to radiated EMI.

Being an IEEE member, I don't advocate anyone do this other than as an experiment, before replacing the ferrites, of course.

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.