AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had all intentions of spending 900 dollars on a projector, buy now it looks like I can only spend a max of 400 dollars. Dang it man. Do you guys think I should just wait until next year to try and get a better one or do you think I can get a decent one for 400 dollars???? I know there is no way that I can know how much a projector has been used (lamp) but what do you guys think? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can pick up a used Sanyo Z2 or a Panny AE-700 in that price range with 700 or so hours on the bulb...Throws a nice image for the money (720P)...Many PJs have lamp hour counters on them..Ebay can be a good source to buy from...Also try Videogon and the AVS classifieds here...Al

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Audiogon and videogon.com are great places to shop as well,

Just make sure you use paypal for your protection.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Did it 4 times w/o problem; just pay attention to the sellers' ratings and ask questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Bought a DV10 over a yr ago off ebay, had a blown bulb, put in new bulb, fired it up, had 15 hrs on it, bulb died same 15 hrs later, paid $200 for PJ.

Lesson is grasshopper dont buy off ebay if you dont know what your doing!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Check out the HD7300 thread... there is a forum member selling HD7100 for around that price... it is brand new... the members name is mkoss... he will probably work with you on warranty service if you ever need it.

I sold one on eBay... just because eBay/Paypal has better buyer/seller protection. I am not sure what audio/videogon offers in terms of buyer protection.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I bought a screenplay 5000 for under $500 refurb. I only did that because I wasn't sure if I was actually going to like the limitations that come with projectors, but that was silly of me. Regardless, I'm VERY happy with it. Plan on running through this bulb (and maybe 1 more) then upgrade to a (hopefully even more affordable by then) nice 1080p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many people on Ebay will lie about the unit and play stupid when you ask questions. For instance, when they say the unit only has 60 hours, what they mean is that the lamp counter shows 60 hours since they reset it from 2000.

When they say MINT!!!, I have no idea what they mean since to me MINT!!! means new and untouched and would never apply to an open box unit with 600+ hours.

When they say works great, they mean while it's on. They seem to forget that it shuts off after five minutes. When asked, they will say they never tested it longer than a minute or two. (AX-100 iris shut down)

Be careful what you bid, expect to need a new bulb, and always buy an extended warranty.

I bought an AE-900 that turned out to be an AE-700 stuffed in a 900 body. I got a Squaretrade warranty with it that ended up paying out the purchase price after the blue LCD broke down about a year later. Thank you Squaretrade!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I will be selling my Sanyo PLV-Z1 on eBay in the next couple weeks, purchased brand new by me and just over 250 hours on the unit, I purchased the unit for over $1500 a few years ago from a forum sponsor and the unit is in EXCELLENT condition.

I am a credible eBay seller with over 250 sales(100% positive feedback) last year alone and I will start the bidding for somewhere around $9.99. eBay isnt such a bad place to find great deals, just shop smart.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakStuff /forum/post/13067515

I will be selling my Sanyo PLV-Z1 on eBay in the next couple weeks, purchased brand new by me and just over 250 hours on the unit, I purchased the unit for over $1500 a few years ago from a forum sponsor and the unit is in EXCELLENT condition.

I am a credible eBay seller with over 250 sales(100% positive feedback) last year alone and I will start the bidding for somewhere around $9.99. eBay isnt such a bad place to find great deals, just shop smart.

Breakstuff, please check your PM. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferboy /forum/post/12979687

I had all intentions of spending 900 dollars on a projector, buy now it looks like I can only spend a max of 400 dollars. Dang it man. Do you guys think I should just wait until next year to try and get a better one or do you think I can get a decent one for 400 dollars???? I know there is no way that I can know how much a projector has been used (lamp) but what do you guys think? What are your experiences?

I just started playing around with e-bay. Made a whopping four purchases on the site so far.

I just listed my first item on e-bay. A small item my wife made, just to gain experience from a sale.

I am going to be selling my AE-700 with a new bulb with only 1 hour on it. I just bought a new Sony VW60, so yes, it truly was because of and upgrade that I am selling the AE-700.
If I can not sell it for a decent price, I’ll be donating it to my church. I am also going to be selling my Denon 2910. I have an XA2 and just ordered a Panasonic BD30, so there is no need for the Denon any more.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I'll sell my Z4 to ebay too. I've sold my AE500 before and it gone smoothly. Personnally i NEVER reset the counter since i always have an Extra bulb with it (i buy it when i buy the projector...) so...

I also bought that same AE500 from Ebay from Japan when the price were stupid in Canada...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have bought and sold a projector on ebay-i think the feedback rating of the seller is most important-as with any used item you take a chance. a seller with a high numerical rating with 98.6 % or higher positive % is the minimum needed to even consider a bid. i look for a minimum of 50 feedback responses. i have done about 200 buying and selling transactions on ebay and if you are careful you can keep your experiences positive but even the best sellers used items are sometimes going to have problems. a good seller will guarantee that the item works when you receive it but you are on your own after that. do research on the item you want to buy and try to buy an item with a good reliability record. a projector model with a history of frequent bulb or light engine failures is not a good bet for a no-warranty used purchase even from the best of sellers. good luck!!

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmq1354 /forum/post/13219190

i have bought and sold a projector on ebay-i think the feedback rating of the seller is most important-as with any used item you take a chance. a seller with a high numerical rating with 98.6 % or higher positive % is the minimum needed to even consider a bid. i look for a minimum of 50 feedback responses. i have done about 200 buying and selling transactions on ebay and if you are careful you can keep your experiences positive but even the best sellers used items are sometimes going to have problems. a good seller will guarantee that the item works when you receive it but you are on your own after that. do research on the item you want to buy and try to buy an item with a good reliability record. a projector model with a history of frequent bulb or light engine failures is not a good bet for a no-warranty used purchase even from the best of sellers. good luck!!

I now have my AE-700 on ebay.

I only have made a few transactions.
I hope it does not hurt my sale.

I guess you gotta start somewhere.

I think good feedback is very important. I also think fair shipping is a good thing to look at. There is nothing I hate worse than seeing someone charging double or triple what it actually costs to ship the item.

I am actually enjoying this. I plan to sell my Denon 2910 next because I have a Toshiba XA2 that will handle my SD-DVD duties.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts