AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a factory re-furbished middle-high end receiver (a Marantz SR7002) from:

accessories4less.com

and am looking for real feedback from anyone who has dealt with them or other refurb's......

Can I really expect the same performance/life out of one as I could of a new one?

What about warranty?

Any help from those with experience would be great!!

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I jumped into AV in a big way less than two years ago.

Double digit brands bought (not including room treatments, cabling, UPS, power stuff).

New, used, open-box, refurbished, B-stock, blemished, superceded, you-name-it.

Not a single problem yet.

Refurbished has included NAD T-973 amp, NAD T-163 pre/pro, and Onkyo 805 receiver. I could be forgetting something.

The T-163 was traded towards new HT mains. Refurbished still comes with warranty, unlike used.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just today I had a factory refurbished Onkyo 805 purchased from Onkyo's website that failed. It lasted about a week and a half. Your results may vary depending on brands and whatnot, but I had VERY bad luck lol.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to switch brands or just buy a new 805.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, any experience with

accessories4less.com?

or the Marantz 7002? (I do 75% HT, but some 2 channel music and I know Marantz' reputation).

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo128 /forum/post/14240989

Just today I had a factory refurbished Onkyo 805 purchased from Onkyo's website that failed. It lasted about a week and a half. Your results may vary depending on brands and whatnot, but I had VERY bad luck lol.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to switch brands or just buy a new 805.

Kanagroo,

You are really fair and openminded. I would change brands even though I know it's just luck of the draw and all manufacturers have duds. Don't you just wish we could get failure and return rates on every model?

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treezskier /forum/post/14240995

Sweet, any experience with

accessories4less.com?

or the Marantz 7002? (I do 75% HT, but some 2 channel music and I know Marantz' reputation).

I'm pretty sure that accessories4less is considered a reputable dealer around these parts. I get pointed in their direction a lot.

Check this here:
http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--32107.html

That's pretty good if you ask me.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear /forum/post/14241021

Kanagroo,

You are really fair and openminded. I would change brands even though I know it's just luck of the draw and all manufacturers have duds. Don't you just wish we could get failure and return rates on every model?

Yeah rates of failure would be awesome. I just really liked my 605 and might give Onkyo the benefit of the doubt considering I did buy refurbished.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
All 7 of my main amps (Audiosource) were refurbs with 90-day warranty. All still working fine a couple years later. I've also got a refurb Rockford Fosgate car amp that looks and functions like it's brand new.

I would never buy a refurbished display or computer equipment, but that's just me and I'm sure some people have good luck with them.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I've purchased several refurbs from both shoponko and accessories4less. My guesstimate would be 20 and I've had problems with 2 and both were taken care of promptly. Accessories4less is an authorized dealer and great people to deal with.

·
Registered
28,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treezskier /forum/post/14240888

I'm considering buying a factory re-furbished middle-high end receiver (a Marantz SR7002) from:

accessories4less.com

and am looking for real feedback from anyone who has dealt with them or other refurb's......

Can I really expect the same performance/life out of one as I could of a new one?

What about warranty?

Thanks,

Bryan

You can probably get a new 7002 for about $100-$150 more if you buy it from the AVS store. Then you'll have a 3 year mfrs warranty.
http://www.avscience.com/products.htm

585-454-1460 (main line)

877-823-4452 (Toll Free)

·
Registered
279 Posts
After many refurbished purchases, I'm now thinking that refurbished is better than new. No issues ever with refurbished... wish I could say that with new. After all, with refurbished, you're getting something that's been checked out and/or fixed. An extra layer of product testing...

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman /forum/post/14241616

After many refurbished purchases, I'm now thinking that refurbished is better than new. No issues ever with refurbished... wish I could say that with new. After all, with refurbished, you're getting something that's been checked out and/or fixed. An extra layer of product testing...

I also have had good luck with a couple refurb prices and will buy more if price and availability are right...

u bid usually has the 7002 for $100 less... just a thought

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check out wearhouse deals (sp?) on Amazon. It's Amazon's open box/refurb branch. I bought my Onkyo SR705 and my Samsung LN-T4071 from them about six months ago and haven't had any problems. The only slightly minor thing is that the LCD didn't come with a remote. However, I had already ordered my Harmony 880 (open box) when my TV arrived so no biggie. Their returns process is just like Amazon, so no hassle. I highly recommened it but I also know that it is luck of the draw. Oh, and by the way, paying less than half of retail was the only way that I was able to afford an LCD as nice as this one. So the risk was much more than worth it if you throw that in as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i was also looking at accessories4less.com and checking out the onkyo sr605(black) for $269 with free shipping. it has the TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders perfect for the PS3.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfordgr /forum/post/14244836

i was also looking at accessories4less.com and checking out the onkyo sr605(black) for $269 with free shipping. it has the TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders perfect for the PS3.

The "decoders" are perfectly useless with the PS3. You don't need them with a PS3. Doesn't hurt to have, but its a non-issue for PS3 owners.

I repeated myself three times.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/14244930

The "decoders" are perfectly useless with the PS3. You don't need them with a PS3. Doesn't hurt to have, but its a non-issue for PS3 owners.

I repeated myself three times.

well i meant that it can play TrueHD and DTS-HD audio.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
jan. '07, i bought a refurb tosh dr2 dvd recorder (~$269+ new, i paid a c-note).

excellent machine and it still works perfect.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:

What about warranty?

I pretty well buy everything used online from this site, audiogon, ebay and so on. Refurbished is my friend because in the end I save thousands and thousands and I dont remember having a problem with AV equipment.

Sometimes if you really want warranties you can buy a 3rd party warranty, not sure of the success rates but they exist.

Saying all that, I convinced my friend to buy something from buy.com and he has had lots of problems with just one receiver so experience will vary and it can bite you at any time. Personally, I love Buy.com and I have had great experiences but he hates them

1 - 20 of 43 Posts