AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieAntenna /forum/post/0

Has anyone have built a homemade UHF antenna ?

No...but as a senior physics project I built a homemade satellite dish. It worked.

BTW, why would you want to build one? They are inexpensive.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a website but I can't posted yet, I did build a homemade 2 bay antenna and it beats my CM 4228 w/CM 7777. I was able to P/U Chicago DT station 70 miles away w/o the pre amp however it was better with the pre amp hook up too. It was simple and it costed me less than $8.00. I was able to p/u a Low power station that my 4228 was not able to pick up. I am still working on adjusting the screen to work at the best. I don't have a digitial camera to show how my was build.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhowes /forum/post/0

I happened across the following page the other day. Not high on details, but a cool knockoff of the no longer available Radio Shack 15-623 indoor UHF double bowtie antenna.

This is where I found the plan for building a 2-bay antenna. I did use a gas welding rod instead of metal coat hangers you could use 10-12 ga bare solid ground wire also, and I used 1' x 3' board instead 1" x 1" board and did skipped the wood block to mount the bows, I just mounted the bows right on the 1x3. I use a cooking cooling rack for reflector instead of board of aluminum foil. I am still trying to do different size screen and spacing it does make the difference.

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9613

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 /forum/post/0

I like this one the best...Plastic lumber and cooling racks from the dollar store. Here is a pic.

I like a 18" x 20" screen. 1/2 the size of a cm4221.

or how bout a no frills db-8

Yes, I did like the Plastic lumber setup and did you see the stacked one ? I have never held a plastic lumber so I don't know the difference of the weights are. The cooling rack is the same one I have, but I did notice that cooling rack from Wal-Mart was better it was 13' x 16" which covers better it called Baker's Secret or Secret's Baker something like that, it a brown cooling rack 2 for $5.50. I also found out more spacing between the bow elements and the reflectors are better. I am going to make a 4-bay on the next project. Yes, the no frills DB-8 was something else and I think it was a bit of overkill and probabilty weighed more than real CM 4228, but hey if the guy is happy with the PQ on the TV then he did a well done job and I wonder how many corona he drank to build that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.