AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current screen is a 112" screen made from blackout cloth. I'm very happy with the performance of the screen. However, what I'm not happy with is the sound of my front 3 speakers, do the limitations imposed by having a non-AT screen. I'm thinking of buying some SeymourAV material and remaking my screen, and then placing the speakers behind it.

I want to make sure the image quality on the screen is going to be at least as good as the blackout cloth, and hopefully better. I don't want to improve my audio just to have my video degrade.

If anyone has done side by side comparisons or something similar, let me know.

Adam

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bueller?

Nobody has compared the two?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just moved from a blackout screen to the material used in the Centre Stage screens. I've only watched 1 movie on it so far, but it is as good or better.

That said, my blackout was painted a while back and that was an improvement and then the painted blackout was replaced last night.

Gain should be around 1.16. I would guess the blackout I used was 0.9 - 0.95, after painting it was supposed to be around 1 (based on the paint I used).

Anyhow, not a definitive statement backed up by numbers but I had the previous screen for 7 years and I wasn't able to complain about the picture I watched last night. I was quite pleased, though need more time with it to draw any conclusions. (I still haven't moved the speakers behind it, nor put any light absorbing material / paint behind it either).

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor /forum/post/15475577

I just moved from a blackout screen to the material used in the Centre Stage screens. I've only watched 1 movie on it so far, but it is as good or better.

That said, my blackout was painted a while back and that was an improvement and then the painted blackout was replaced last night.

Gain should be around 1.16. I would guess the blackout I used was 0.9 - 0.95, after painting it was supposed to be around 1 (based on the paint I used).

Anyhow, not a definitive statement backed up by numbers but I had the previous screen for 7 years and I wasn't able to complain about the picture I watched last night. I was quite pleased, though need more time with it to draw any conclusions. (I still haven't moved the speakers behind it, nor put any light absorbing material / paint behind it either).

Thanks for the reply. This was the sort of sanity check I was looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts