AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing Sanyos have comparable contrast, comparable colors, more brightness, at least equivalent blacks, but bigger pixels and more visible grid. But for overall impact are they similar from a normal viewing distance (2 times screen width)? Anyone know?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Dan, have you seen D-ILA?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Well, there is one highly-respected man who has actually done a full, formal, multi-page review of both the Sanyo PLV-60 and a JVC G15 within a few days of each other!

It happens to be Jeff McNeal, the Editor & Publisher of TheBIGPictureDVD.com (oh, am I allowed to mention that site over here? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

These is from this page :

Quote:
"Given the choice between a PLV-60 with a long throw lens or the G15 and Quadscan Elite... Considering both will be noise-isolated behind the wall... I'm leaning towards the G15. The picture quality is just too smooth to discount."
Quote:
I'm seriously considering purchasing this projector and QS Elite when my test drive is up.
Quote:
"I'm going to take some digital photos to add to my review as I did with the PLV-60 this evening."
If I remember right, there are more comparisons in the actual projector reviews, but you have to dig into the in-depth parts to read the comparisons. It only makes sense that these two would be compared, since Jeff had them both up for review at the same time.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Actually, this page has some even better quotes pertaining to the question. Again, from Mr. McNeal:

Quote:
"I thought the Sanyo PLV-60 came very close to the G15 in many areas pertaining to image quality and even surpassed my G15 review unit in one critical area (edge to edge grayscale uniformity).

If price and convenience aren't the deciding factors and overall image quality is paramount, the G15 is exceptionally hard to beat. In fact, it's really the current benchmark by which I judge other projectors."

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have owned the PLV-60 and now own a G-15. I thought the colors, contrast, brightness and black levels were very good on the Sanyo. The only thing that might be a little better on the G-15 is black level, but this is based on memory as I did not have them side-by-side. I agree that the one issue with the PLV-60 is the pixels. To my eyes, the G-15 and the PLV-60 are equivalent in this respect (i.e., the screendoor is a complete non-issue) only when you are back 2 to 2.5 times the screen width. I understand, though, that some of the other Sanyo's don't have nearly the screendoor issue that the PLV-60 issue does.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but ... I was thinking more along the lines of comparison with the XP21N/38t, given it's MLA and lumens, or the XP30/40t for ... you know ... LUMENS. I would like to see more lumen output in the PLV-60, because I think it makes a really big difference.

------------------

Joe

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Oh, this thread is too good to be true! It's not every day you get to match swords with Mark "Global Warming" Hunter. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Actually Jeff McNeal summed it up nicely. I'd agree on all points.

HOWEVER, he didn't compare the XP21N with MLA to the D-ILA. He was about to do a review on it but then the review was pulled because the projector is being discontinued. The comparisons I've read between the PLV60 (what Jeff was reviewing) and the XP21N/Boxlight 38T give the nod to the latter.

I've seen D-ILAs at CES, I've never seen one really set up right like Mark and Dean McManus have. The ones I saw excelled in smoothness of picture but I wasn't impressed with the contrast or black level. The Sanyo XP21N/Grayhawk beat it hands down.

I think if you are watching a lot of HDTV, the D-ILA would be unbeatable simply because of the detail it can project. If you live out in the middle of no where like I do where they think HDTV means "color" the Sanyo simply is the better choice for color, brightness and incredible ease of use. Plus you can sit the thing naked right behind your seating area and not be deafened or cooked by it.

I'm wishing for D-ILA resolution, Sanyo brightness and color, and no heat/noise problems. That would be the best of all possible worlds.

Dan

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I knew it was all yours Dan!

I agree with Dan about the DILA's contrast/black levels, and I always thought their color looks a little flat.

All this having been said, you really really need to go look at the projectors you are interested in yourself, don't just listen to others.

The best projector is the one you like the best, and fits in your budget and has the features you love and is missing the things that annoy you the most.

-- Cain

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Maybe the XP30 with a Panamorph is the better approach. The Panamorph helps get rid of the screen door of the XP30.

Of course we are waiting on the XP45.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just watched the letterboxed (non-anamorphic) 2010 DVD (It's one of my all-time faves because of the message). The colors were great and it stomped my Laserdisc. Anyway, then switched over to Blazing Saddles on DSS. After 10 minutes, I went to bed and continued watching on the 32" Proscan in the bedroom. Boy did it look washed out! What a shock. I used to go into the bedroom and see the more vivid colors and chalk it up to a small screen and direct view of a color gun, but that was apparently all B.S. My projector is now much more vivid and colorful. I guess I'll have to adjust the TV now! The world is upside down, and boy am I glad.

------------------

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.