AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy do I ever regret buying that piece of crap. My HD100 got a new glitch last night. I used the jump button to go from 199 to an analog OTA channel. The thing locked up. I had to unplug the power to get control. Now, there's a big black box on the lower 40% of the screen. You can see a little of the picture to the sides and below the box. It's obviously from the onscreen character generator. If the box is displaying anything generated internally (graphics) the black box goes away. When I switch channels, it works fine until the channel logo in the upper right corner fades away. Then the black box comes back. It's there with OTA analog, DSS HD and DSS standard; and 1080i, 480i component, 480i S-Video outputs.

I took it to the top level of the "support" staff. They said they had never encountered the problem before. The only option available to me is to ship the thing back to Sony and pay about $100 to fix it. I've had it FIVE MONTHS. They say I'm $#|+ outta luck since it only has a three month labor warranty.

I'm going to write a letter to Sony, Ultimate Electronics and DirecTV and see if I can rattle any cages. Anyone else have any advice?

Thanks

Pete

A former Sony customer

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem.

The box has a 1 year warranty. Sony better fix it for free.

------------------

I Want My sports In HDTV

·
Registered
779 Posts
No, but after months of complaining about the problems with this box they agreed to buy it back at my purchase price. It is returned and I am awaiting the check.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
186 Posts
Any idea of when a newer Sony HDTV receiver box will be out? With all these problems I don't want to get this model. I have a Sony 65" XBRSW10 16x9 TV that I want to utilize all the features.

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Turn off the Closed caption display, either in the HD100

(or your TV). what you are describing is the CC box, usually

text1 or text 2. If the prgrammer is not inserting text into

the box, this is what you get.....

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Registered
756 Posts
I spoke with a technician that previously serviced Sony products. His reason to no longer service Sony products was Sony would not "give a break" on labor costs on products that had a manufacturing/technical flaw that would occur post labor warranty.

The specific example he gave me was on CD players. Apparently they had used, for a time, a small amount of light weight grease on the opening mechanism for the CD holder. It was only a matter of time before the mechanism would fail.

He said it would take him literally five minutes to fix the unit since all that was required was to remove the cover and grease the thing.

He had to charge $80. He stated he felt Sony used to be much more customer friendly but had simply gotten "too big" and, for many of it's products, not worth the additional money it costs to get a Sony.

So, it appears unlikely Sony will waive the labor costs since their history has shown they will not.

Sorry for the bad news, but, you never know.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff43:
The specific example he gave me was on CD players. Apparently they had used, for a time, a small amount of light weight grease on the opening mechanism for the CD holder. It was only a matter of time before the mechanism would fail.

He said it would take him literally five minutes to fix the unit since all that was required was to remove the cover and grease the thing.

He had to charge $80. He stated he felt Sony used to be much more customer friendly but had simply gotten "too big" and, for many of it's products, not worth the additional money it costs to get a Sony.
This tech charges $80 for five minutes of work?! He's ripping off Sony. Even a Cardiac Surgeon does not get close to that kind of rate. I'll have a heart attack if a tech charges me $80 for something a couple of squirts of wd40 will do.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
756 Posts
As a Sony authorized repair technician, he can not dictate what he charges for repair in much the same manner as a car repair at a dealer.

Sony, as everyone else, has a repair scale that dictates what the tech's charge. He is obligated to that scale as a Sony technician.

Two weeks ago I took my car in and they charged me for two hours labor. Fine, but I know they really only worked on the thing for 45 minutes, tops.

On the other hand, if something unusual came up and they worked on it for three hours, then I would have come out ahead.

On some things, such as my example, they come out way ahead while in others, the amount they charge for labor is much less than the actual labor put into the repair.

The point he was making was that, when there is an known obvious flaw in a particular product, they should waive the standard charge or, at the least, have a specific charge for that particular problem that would be minimal.

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
There are certain things you learn are inevitable: death ,taxes, and terrible support from Sony- yet they make superior equipment (usually) and we all keep buying their products!

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petew:
Bob

You Saved Me! That did the trick.

AVS rules

thanks

Pete

glad to help there, Pete..The RCA DTC100 has the same capability, just better software(less buggy) than Sony...

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.