AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of building some walls for a new HT with this concept in mind.

Look here

The idea behind it is that with the removable speaker grilles it would allow for speakers to be placed anywhere along the wall and future proof the room should something like 5.1 - 6.1 - 7.1 ever become obsolete HA!

It also allows for replacement speakers (assuming the size is less than the size of the cavity) to be put in with little or no modifications to the walls and allows for infinite tweaks of placement and angle, rather than being tied into a mathematical positioning from a floor plan.

The other addition is that the Speaker cavity can host cables and act as a cable trunk between the front and rear of the room.

If you remove one of the panels, you can use the cavity as a display case for all that cinema memorabillia.

A couple of problems though, and Im looking for feedback and ideas........

First, I cant think of anything that is reasonably economical enough and dense enough to fill Cavity A and B with. I dont want the two cavities to resonate at low frequencies. I have thought of perhaps making part of the bottom cavity a bass trap, but I cant make the whole bottom section of all the walls into traps.

So any ideas as to what to fill it with.

The top cavity will be used for Airconditioning, and the double drywall cavity will be filled with rockwool as usual.

Also, any ideas as to what to fill the vacant speaker cavity with would also be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
It might sound crazy, but what about cardboard? You could make cardboard boxes to size and them fill them with either batting, or expanding foam insulation.........or even other bits of cardboard! You could possibly even get polystyrene foam made to size that will fit these cavities.

Either of these solutions might provide the acoustical diffusion and damping that you are looking for.

Anyone else have thoughts?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Very interesting idea radial, I wonder how difficult it would be to build that box on the bottom. I guess the only other issues would be asthetics (how would it look finished), how much room would it take up (would it work in small HT room) and how would posters mounted look in a set up like that.

For the panels I think you'd probably want something pretty rigid so it wouldn't rattle or buckle. You could maybe use some magnets to attach the pannels where they are supposed to go, or maybe even those push pegs like they have on speakers for the speaker grills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.