AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a real tough time picking the color gom to use. I am afraid that whatever I chose, after I put it up on the wall, I will hate it. With paint, it is easy to change you mind or do a test, but with GOM, poor color choice can really cost you money.

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
You can buy say an 8ft x 66" (that's the roll width 66") piece and tack it up on your wall first. 44 sq ft. Won't cost that much. [DAMN. THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME DE :)]

Most people make a big mistake choosing light pretty fabrics. Sometimes they make a 2 tone wall light on the top half and darker on the bottom. BIG BIG mistake. Your walls need to be dark, just like the floor and ceiling. Guilford just does not have that many dark greyish, black fabrics, I choose Terra de Fuego. It is very dark with a subtle dark pattern. Shoot, unless you look closely, it might as well have been just black. My 6 black wall sconces barely light it up. But it does the job. My wife likes it a lot more than solid black. The average Joe would not look at it closely enough to see that it is a textured black with a subtle pattern. We richened it up with mahogeny chair rails and mahogeny toe boards. The chair rails and toe boards hide the horizontal seams.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Mark,

Thank you for your interesting reply.

I have been pondering the thought of using "Grey Neutral" or "CoinSilver" from GOM on upper half of the wall with black GOM on the bottom.

I then pondered doing the entire wall with the "Grey Neutral" or "Coinsilver" with the columns solid black. The trim (baseboard, chair rail and molding) all black or the blue that I chose for the inner part of the soffit.

Then, something hit me. My ceiling is black. The inside of the soffit is blue. What if I did the entire room in black GOM and had the trim in the same blue as the soffit? I would have no choice but to name my cinema "Blue Line Cinema" :D The sconces would be that brushed aluminum look to match my Parasound Halo equipment (the door handles to the room and equipment room are brushed aluminum as well).

Do you have any pictures of your room Mark? I'd love to see what it looks like!

Any suggestions on the above? You are right, they just don't make enough dark colors and I am afraid of lighting my room up with my projector on a grey wall!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never heard of these gom colors. Are the FR701 fabrics? They are not listed on my sample swatch book and I don't see them on the Silent Source web site. I guess I was under the impression that I had to use the FR701 stuff. The vendor I want to use sells the FR701 fabric as well as the Zirconia fabrics. Are those OK.

I also have this thread begging for color help. Hopefully, some will give me some advice. Ordering a small amount is a good idea though.

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I have a very complete sample book at my store. I'll bring it home and look up the colors you are considering. There are all sorts of fabrics other than the 701s. My fabric has been discontinued but they had enough left for me. I have an all black ceiling. My floor and two column poles are covered with dark navy blue carpet. ALL black was just too much of a pit for both me and my wife. I'll post pictures shortly. The electrician is finishing up Sunday and Monday and then we must complete the ceiling grid next week.

I am going to use the Halo processor as well. I am anxiously awaiting for the coming software upgrade which will provide global audio delay. My video processor slows down the video so that the audio comes too far in advance. My three front speakers are powered internally (M&K S-150P). Haven't chosen the four channnels of amp that I need for the surrounds and rears. Will probably use a 5 channel Krell showcase because I have a bunch in stock.

Getting the 9 inch CRT projector focused, conveged, and calibrated will take 3 full days. UGH.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark. What are we still doing up on the East Coast? So, I guess there are other options besides the FR701 fabrics (from an acoustic point of view) that we can use. That is good to know. I will go on the GOM web site and check out some other options.

Your theater sounds awesome. I am off to bed now.

- Hal

·
Registered
388 Posts
I did the med grey and mixed in the black on the columns and screen wall. The projector really doesn't impact it that much and kept the WAF better than an all-black room.

I'm pretty happy with the balance.

Good luck,

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich

Most people make a big mistake choosing light pretty fabrics. Sometimes they make a 2 tone wall light on the top half and darker on the bottom. BIG BIG mistake.
I must disagree. I used "Gray Mix" on the upper section which is 66 inches down from the soffit and Black on the lower section. It looks fine. My entire screen wall is black.

Now I was a little concerened with my sky blue ceiling but that too worked out just fine.

In the end it's a matter of personal taste. I didn't want a black cave room which some people do perfer.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Adamf,

What "model" is your grey? Is it GOM? That looks nice. Not too light, not too dark. Sounds like Glimmie has the same?

I'm thinking Grey on all walls except the front stage, which will be all black. The columns on the side will be all black as well. The ceiling is part black and blue.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, thanks. I'm using the Medium Gray from the FR701 series. My stage wall is all black...very similar to what you are proposing. My ceiling in a light-mid gray. The dark cherrywood stain seems to work ok with the room.

Any other issues or numbers you need I'm happy to supply once I get back to home (out of town today). Let me know.

Adam

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
You can buy say an 8ft x 54" (that's the roll width 54") piece and tack it up on your wall first. 36 sq ft. Won't cost that much.
Gom is wider than the usual 54". It's been a few months since I worked with ours, but I'd say it's closer to 60".

Stick with basic colors on this stuff. We used black - That's after we studied 25 samples!:)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Dennis,

Is Coinsilver too light for a theater room? My only worries are firing up my projector and the room lights up.

The fabric choice, Carina, is our favorite one. We're just worried about the reflection of light in the room. Any thoughts?

Also, how bad does it look to mix and match GOM fabrics? Like I was saying, I was going to do either half and half with Coinsilver and Black FR701. Front wall is all black, no problem there. Sides will either be top Coinsilver and bottom in Black FR701 or all Coinsilver with Columns solid black.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Neptune is just a TAD darker than Coinsilver! :D

Thanks for the input. I'm going to make my decision this week.

And, is Coinsilver one of the approved "acoustically transparent" fabrics?

I'm pretty sure it is, however, I just want to be 100% sure since it will be covering the columns that house the surrounds.

Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually if I recall correctly, Randy has Neptune on the bottom and New Spruce on the top. (Correct me if I'm wrong Randy). New Spruce is darker than Neptune.

Kirk

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Thanks for correcting my width error. Of course it is 66 inches wide, MY BAD.

Now I have a book of photos of lots of theaters where my customers wanted light colored walls. Dark on ze bottom and light on the top. Really looks great in a designer magazine. BUT light colors on ze walls or ceilings REALLY REALLY causes a deterioration in PQ. Just a little light from the outside, or a little reflected light from the walls or ceiling will make all your CRs etc go to hell and a hand basket. Can you still see the picture? Sure you can. You can wow the Jones. But could it be a lot better? Sure it could. Most do not know any better AND will say their picture is just fine. Who me make a big mistake, err 66 inches not 54 inches. Thanks Dennis

Does it have to be pit black to optimize PQ? Pretty much in a small room. Do we need to make compromises to keep others happy or to allow for multi use rooms. Sure do but don't tell me the compromises do not affect PQ. If not black, choose dark neutral. Dark gray, dark blue, dark green, maroon. OK Taupe, white, yellow submarine, we all live in a, never mind, won't do it.

Hell in my own HT, the walls and ceilings are pretty much black, but the carpet is dark navy blue and so are the seats in the second row. The first row of seats, which I purchased years ago before I knew better, gasp, are taupe and have high backs. Now I do not think much light bounces onto the screen from chairs but the high backs do indeed block the sound from the 2 rear 7.1 channels and have some blockage effect from the side dipoles (the sound bouncing off the rear). Still it is not bad, but the sound is better from the low back second row. Where do i sit? In those big plush fall asleep in front recliners. BUT if I could afford it, I would get low back recliners for the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.