AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what. I had a dream last night, I guess a nightmare about my crt falling from the ceiling while I fell asleep in the carpet almost right under it. It did not fall on me in the dream but I woke up really shaken as though it did.

Funny story but in real liife has anyone ever seen one fall? What was it like?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I lost my dear grandmother due to an improperly mounted CRT projector. One minute we were talking with Granny, the next minute she was laying beneath a CRT projector with a broken neck and the tubes busted all over the place.

I've never gotten over it (the tubes busting all over the place).

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
There was a post about 2 years ago from someone that _just_missed the studs in the ceiling when hanging a Sony 1270. The set came down in the middle of the night...

No one was hurt, the projector was unrepairable...:(

Curt

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
QQQ: Better switch to a bulb projector..:)

It's lighter and that won't happen.

Curt

·
Registered
437 Posts
QQQ:

Weren't you the same guy that was involved in that Grandmother-Reindeer accident insurance fraud a couple of years back? Did they make you return the presents?

:D

As for a 120 pound projector held by 4 bolts should yields an average of 30 pounds per bolt, not really a whole lot. Add to that some fudge factors, make sure you hit the threads, and add some extra bolts (so that no single or multiple failure sure cause an accident), and predrill the hole properly, and that should never happen. Chandliers and ceiling fans probably put more stress on the joints.

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
QQQ,

I just want to share my condolences over your broken tubes..... (sniff) I feel your pain.....

Marc

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I get scared every time I here someone say thay used a stud finder to locate the center of the joist through the sheetrock, cause that's not what they have found. They have located the center of a piece of strapping.

Chip S.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do you people screw into the studs? I go in the attic and place two 4x6 pieces of wood perpedicular to the joists and resting on them. Then I rest two more perpendicular to those two and run a couple long heavy duty nuts and bolts through the two pieces of wood down through the ceiling.

No wonder your granny got squashed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am pondering the ceiling mounting of my Barco 800 since the thing takes up half a room on the (So to speak) floor. What I was considering was to measure out where I want the projector to hang, cut out the entire area of drywall and work without worry as to where the joists are. Since the thing is gonna cover the hole once it's mounted, I won't worry about the "hole".

I sure hope the landlord understands my logic on this.:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
romy101,

One thing I learned from all of the reading I did here about mounting my 125 pound NEC was. . .

Over build it by two or three times the capacity, then test it with more than just your projector.

You can click on my gallery and see how I mounted mine with a vaulted ceiling and soffit type beams.

To allieve my wife's worst fears, I actually put my own full weight along with the projector and was even so bold to bounce on it a bit. That is over 350 pounds total (not counting the bouncing).

If you have not tested beyond just the weight of your projector then your dreams (nightmares) may be premonitions.

QQQ,

Sorry about the loss of your granny, do you have troubles with getting grandpa to come over for a movie?:D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear you on the overbuilding. I did the same thing. I had my wife hang on to the mount with the projector hanging on it. She was reluctant at first but I think I bagged the most trusting wife in the world. :)

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
ROmy, I just did almost the same thing as you when mounting my 8500. I laid two 2x4's across the joists (perpindicular). Then 2 more 2x4's mailed perpindicuar to each of those. Then 2 more 2x4's across, these being about 1/4" above the drywall ceiling. I bolted into these and tightened the mount down until I could hear the drywall start to creak. Solid man, solid.

Cary

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was lowering the unit with a come-along from a loft to sell it. I have used come-alongs for many years, and have lifted many engines in my day, but this day did not go well. As I was lowering it the unit suddenly dropped about a foot, which was enough to shear the mounting bracket, and the unit dropped to the ground (about a 5 foot drop.) It twisted the frame b/c it hit on one corner first. The tubes did not break AND the unit fired up for about 20 sec. before it shut down. Not a good day at the van der Veer house. I now have a Genie Lift that has paid for itself many a time over.

I had a nightmare when we first moved in to the house (we had gutted most of it first.) I woke up, sat up, and screamed that the house was falling down. I had visions of the ceiling joists falling on us. I even lifted my arms to protect us. It was very scary and it all was so real.

May all of your mounts be strong and life long!!!!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Originally posted by romy101
Why do you people screw into the studs? I go in the attic and place two 4x6 pieces of wood perpedicular to the joists and resting on them. [/quote]

Because most of us have our PJ's in the basement! Having bolts and board strapped to the floor in the living room isn't too pretty :)

Originally posted by Riktar
I am pondering the ceiling mounting of my Barco 800 since the thing takes up half a room on the (So to speak) floor. What I was considering was to measure out where I want the projector to hang, cut out the entire area of drywall and work without worry as to where the joists are. Since the thing is gonna cover the hole once it's mounted, I won't worry about the "hole". [/quote]

This is exactly what I did. That way there was no way I was hitting strapping or something different. My unitstrut's bolted right into the 2x10" studs:

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/da...9kal15-med.jpg

You can see a larger version here .

I remember the post from 2 years ago that Curt talked about ....

I also remember reading about someone seeing an install where the PJ was cieling mounted into DRYWALL ONLY. The whole thing was being held by 4 screws recessed into drywall! Yow!

Then there was another post I remember where someone was lifting the PJ to the ceiling using one of those pulley mounts... the rope slipped off and the PJ came crashing down and shattered the wood chair that was underneath it. The PJ wasn't damaged however and they just tried again and it worked fine once it was up on the ceiling. Wow!

Kal

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Why do you people screw into the studs? I go in the attic and place two 4x6 pieces of wood perpedicular to the joists and resting on them. Then I rest two more perpendicular to those two and run a couple long heavy duty nuts and bolts through the two pieces of wood down through the ceiling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats EXACTLY how my 1031Q is mounted as well. It pretty easy to see when you build a massive support that the projector is not going to go any where.

In fact the support is so solid that you can support your own weight on it if you go in the attic and stand on it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
That won't work for me since I live in a 2 story house and the theatre room is on the first floor. The basement is out of the question. So I am one of those who must go stud drilling.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Anyone remember the incident I mentioned some time ago about a brand new G90? As I recall Roger Galvin's report, some installers forgot to secure the fitting to the pipe and pulled out the quick-mount safety pin.

KEE-RASH!!! (tinkle, tinkle)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.