AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 17 months of use I think I have a big green dust blob. I was wondering if anyone has opened up and blew some air in the projector to clean off the dust. I have tried blowing around the lens and into the fans and it hasn't helped. A certified Panasonic service center near me will clean the projector for $105.00- any additional charges will be covered under warranty. Should I just play dumb and call the Panazip number and hope Panasonic will clean it? I was told the cleaning was not really covered with the warranty but Panasonic may clean it anyway for me. I have 530 hours on the projector.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'd Panazip.

just tell them there is a large distortion that developed and you don't know what to do about it.

I don't know if it will work - but that is what I would try.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have cleaned a similar "blob", actually it is a small curled hair, from my PT-L300U. I used compressed air and a pipe cleaner. You need to take off the cover to get to the LCD panels. In your case (and mine) it is the green one causing the problem. My owners manual basically says to send it to a service center for cleaning once a year.

If you take off the cover you will find dust collecting on the fan blades even though you have been faithfully cleaning the filter every 100 hours as the manual states. The filter only traps a percentage of the dust and some gets into the projector.

I must say that you don't use your projector that much if you only have 530 hours after 17 months of use. Even if a small hair does not attach itself to one of the panels, the fine dust does and will gradually degrade the contrast ratio as it builds up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I have faithfully cleaned the filter and replaced it once already. The problem is that I unscrewed the cover but I couldn't get it apart. I got nervous and put the screws back in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.