AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every one has been telling me the fan that runs 24 hours a day is the fan that is cooling the direct receiver. I will never *use* the direct receiver *ever* my apartment faces east in PA. So do I call the service man watch him put the 3 key combination in, to bring up the service menu, then what would he have to do?

Maybe I can do it and save a $100 service call to avoid making me feel like a jerk. He pushes the keys to the code and then 2 other buttons, saying there your receiver is off and so is your fan. Here is my bill for $100. Please help you all know 'my' *position* I would like to keep this wonderful set for years to come. TIA :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My understanding -- and I could be wrong -- is that the tuner (which you use to watch OTA ATSC/NTSC, and the video inputs including 480p DVD) is also in the DirecTV receiver unit, so you CAN'T disable it (which is what I think you mean by "turn it off").

If the fan bothers you that much, why don't you just plug it into a switched power receptical, and turn it off at night?

Joe

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fans doesn't bother me at all I just want to avoid service calls for fan replacement. If I were like you I would only had the set on for a few hours. I am crippled an the HDTV is *on* from 9AM to 1 AM 7 days a week! :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
???

You've lost me with your response, hob --

I view video on the set only a few hours a day -- but I leave it plugged in all the time so the same fan is going 24 hours per day on my set too.

Please remember -- there are THREE fans in the back of the F38310 -- two cool the electron gun stem/electronics, the third cools the DirecTV/tuner module. It is only the third fan which is on all the time. The first two turn off with the TV set power button.

While the first two fans are probably on a lot more for you than for me because you watch more TV than I do, the fan in the DirecTV module (which, like I said, I believe also is the NTSC/ATSC tuner) is on 24/7.

I think that if you disable the DirecTV module, you would also disable the ATSC/NTSC tuner -- which would mean you couldn't watch TV at all. So we are both stuck with the DirecTV fan being on 24/7.

I also think, that a simple solution, which doesn't disable the DirecTV module and basically disable the set, is to run the power through a switched plug -- either a switched wall plug (like rooms often have for floor lamps), or a power strip. When you go to bed, turn off the power to the set and the DirecTV fan turns off. When you wake up, turn the power back on, turn on the set and go from there.

The only problem I see with unplugging the set every night is that I'm not sure how long the set keeps its channel/time information before its internal power runs out -- to avoid losing this sort of info there is usually a capacitor inside that keeps power to the volatile memory during short power outages. Possibly you would have to run channel search and restore any changes you've made to video settings every morning when you turn the set back on.

I'm not sure I understand why you worry about this -- I would expect the MINIMUM lifetime of this fan to be 5 years running continuously -- computer fans last at LEAST this long before failing. I would not be surprised if it lasts 10+ years without problems. Regardless of the relative amounts we use the sets, because the DirecTV/tuner module fan is on 24/7 we can expect it to last the same lifetime for both of us.

The fans that cool the electronics/electron gun are only on 2/3 of the time for you -- so I would expect them to last 6-7 years at least before failing. Because I run my TV less than you, I might expect those fans to last 10 years or more.

Now, if you "unplugged" the set every night, so that the DirecTV fan was also off 1/3 of the day, it also would live for 6-7 years, and at that point you would expect to replace all three fans at once.

If you need one service call in 2007 to replace the fan in the DirecTV/tuner module, and a second service call in 2009 to replace the two fans that cool the electronics/electron gun stem, I wouldn't think this to be TOO much hardship.

I guess what I'm saying is that even if you could disable the fan in the DirecTV/tuner module, you would still have to expect to replace the other two fans in 2009. You _have_ to run the set with those two fans on. The DirecTV/tuner module has only about 2 years less lifetime than they do (it is only on 1/3 more of the time). So what I reccommend is that you leave everything as/is, and in 2007 or so, have one service call, and replace all three of the fans at once. Figure on doing the same again in 2012.

If you "unplug" the set every night when you go to bed, you can push the first service call to 2009 and the second to 2016. You _can't_ do anything better than this if you watch TV for 2/3 of every day.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the time the fans go it becomes cheaper to replace the set than to service it.

I hate beating the dead horse -- but I never get the feeling you understand the points I'm trying to make.

I'm having the picture tube in my set replaced on Saturday June 1, and because of the weight of the tube, have agreed to assist the technician in replacing it (he is coming to my home). I'm borrowing a digital camera from a co-worker, and will be taking pictures of the replacement process. I'll post them to my webpage -- I'll post a link when I get them up. Maybe when you see what it looks like inside you will understand more clearly what I am getting at.

take care,

Joe

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be frank with you except of my 2 DCD jukes my life runs onhaving the HDTVset on. I wouldn't know what to do without it, I have oredered 2 motors for my 6 motor chair, 5 weeks ago that still haven't come in for my chair dealer to come ut and install them. He always knows I pay cash and don't need a receipt!

The service call is not what I am worried about, it's the service man says he has to order it. 5 weeks being crippled I really wouldn't know what to do with *myself* in my apartment till that fan(s) and the service man installing it to turn it back on.

Now do you understand my concern. Joe I hate putting my diasablement as a crutch, but in this reply it should be crystal clear to you!

I would run out of ideas of what to *do* very quickly, and the walls would be closing in on me. I can't escape that nightmare, I have money but I can't even go on the AVS cruise. The cruise line said I would need to pay for another trained person to wheel me about the big ship. Since AVS is only putting 2 days of forum activities on! Rest of the time your on your own for shore excursions.

Think about it Joe how many AVS members although friends from afar, would want to be weighted down with a slow moving cripple! I live in a reality, not a surreality.:)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I understand exactly what you are saying, and this is the advice I have:

1)No matter what you do to disable the fan in the DirecTV/tuner module, you will have fans running 2/3 of the time. A good guess for the MINIMUM life of these fans is 5 years running 24/7 and 7 years running 2/3 of the time.

2)The lifetime of these fans isn't "fixed". Usually what happens when they go bad is that they start to get noisier than they were when new (i.e. the bearings begin to wear). Don't panic -- you still probably have years of lifetime! It might be 10 years or more before this happens!

3)At this point, or sooner at a time of your chosing, you become proactive -- change the fans out whether they need it or not. You can plan on this on the simple schedule I suggested (5 years with normal use and the fan on the DirecTV always on, or 7 years unplugging the set to turn the DirecTV/tuner module off at night), to call a service tech AT YOUR LEISURE, to service the set. The set NEED NOT BE DOWN for any length of time. Call the service company, tell them that the set has three fans that need to be replaced, ask them to come out to your apartment and do the repair as you watch. If they have to order the fans no problem! Your set is still working! Have them come out to your apartment only after they get them at the service shop!

In other words, don't plan on waiting for the television to break. Then you don't have to worry about it ever being down.

When you drove a truck, you didn't wait for it to break down before you had a tune up, right? You did it on schedule to keep the truck on the road. You didn't wait for it to break down.

Same idea here.

later

Joe

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your really good advice. I used to a maintenence phreak keeping my car in top condition. The last company I drove TT for, I hoped it would break down. Joe as a 'union' driver in 1985 I was making $14.76 an hour and 36.5 ¢ a mile for single 45's and 38.5¢ a mile for double shoe boxes. We had a 8 day 70 hour work week I averaged $1100 a week gross around $765 a week take home. I love being online I surf all over creation, I have more foreign friends than amercan. I can't get enough of being online. I want a computer so bad, but I was told by HTPC users they're only for watching DVD, screw that I want to be able to do things I can't do on kiddie webtv. Thanks Joe, Thanks for understanding, End of thread.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.