AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sell voice and data hardware and software. So I can get my hands on racks from manufacturers like; Hubbell, Chatsworth, ICC, etc...

Now I know Middle Atlantic makes the special shelves that have the nice laser cut bezel to fit around equipment that is not rack mount. But if it's standard 19", then I should be able to buy my rack, power strip, fans, etc... from say Chatsworth, and then get my "special shelves" from Middle Atlantic, right?

I just can't see spending the $400-$500 (rack) $150 power strip, etc... that Middle Atlantic wants. When I know I can spend half that with my vendor who I get my racks from.

Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just found a company called HOLOVISION that makes a nice looking rack and I believe its on wheels so you can pull it out from the wall and it swivels. It cost about $500 less than the Middle Atlantic slide out rack at least that is what I found while researching racks all last week!

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Holovision is not a rack in the same sense as what the OP is discussing.... it's more like a shelving system that pulls out like AVTRAK.

·
Registered
957 Posts
What is the application??

-- Free-standing in a utility area??

-- Roll out rack on casters in a closet??

-- Flush mounted into a wall??

-- Track mounted system recessed into a cabinet??

If it's free standing, then you want to use a cabinet or a full depth open rack (looking at the Chatsworth site, they call it a 4 poster).

This is going to allow you to place lacing bars on the rear rails and strain relieve your connections and stay within bend radius requirements (just like your industry). Aside from the RAMPANT use of crappy cables, intermittent terminations due to the fire hose cable twisting the termination is a major reason for HDMI callbacks. Use a decent cable, and tie it to a lacing bar to keep the weight of the cable off the termination and keep the connector straight with the socket.

They do not appear to have casters for all models, and some of the models which appear to be free standing have flanged feet forward of the front rails making it tougher to flush mount into a wall.

Also, Middle Atlantic uses 10-32 hardware.... and I don't see that as on option for CPI. They are pre-tapped for the thicker 12-24 hardware, or punched for cage nut hardware.

You could always use pre-punched cage nut rails and use 10-32 cage nuts, but they are more for server racks where you are constantly pulling hardware in and out for upgrades, maintenance, service, etc. and possibly strip out tapped rails over heavy use.

IMO, cage nuts look like hell on nicely dressed A/V racks where you may wish to use nice finishing touches such as shims and trim strips.

As for the vertical power strips, they are worth every penny IMO to get that clean look with short power cables.

Another factor to consider is weight... I am NOT a telecom expert, but I know that there are weight capacity differences between relay racks and AV equipment racks.

If you are a dealer for Chatsworth, maybe call them and get a suggestion from a sales engineer. They will have comp specs of their models to Middle Atlantic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ever consider the option of a diy rack?

i made mine by welding square tubing and purchased shelves for it

even custom cut faceplates for my equipment.

pretty happy with it

saved myself alot of money in the process oh and learned flash burns suck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. no interest in building my own rack. too much time that I don't have. but thanks for the idea anyway.

cinemascope - thanks for the great feedback. The thought is this:

I have a room ("Equipment Room") next to the theater that can be accessed and used solely for my purposes.

So, I plan on cutting a hole in the wall, mounting the rack so that the "guts" are in the "equipment room" and just the front is showing into the theater.

So I was thinking of a 4 post rack, that I would bolt to the floor.

I definitely will do the vertical power strip. So I just plug the power strip into my Panamax and then all the equipment into the strip, right? I have read before that my amps should just be plugged into the wall with no conditioner/surge protector. Your thoughts?

I didn't catch the info about the 10-32 cage nuts versus the 12-24. Are you saying they're are not standard on both pieces then?

I did call Chatsworth, but I did not get the type of assistance I wanted. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the Middle Atlantic stuff, just for peace of mind knowing it's the right fit, etc...

·
Registered
957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 /forum/post/12973345

cinemascope - thanks for the great feedback. The thought is this:

I have a room ("Equipment Room") next to the theater that can be accessed and used solely for my purposes.

So, I plan on cutting a hole in the wall, mounting the rack so that the "guts" are in the "equipment room" and just the front is showing into the theater.

So I was thinking of a 4 post rack, that I would bolt to the floor.

I prefer to place racks on a small platform instead of having it go to the floor... I came to this conclusion after having done it both ways. I like the cleaner look of having the trim go all the way around the face of the rack....

Also, I don't really need ANY piece of electronics 2" off the floor. I would rather have them raised a little.

And if you use Middle Atlantic or anyone else, use the leveling feet (Middle Atlantic part LF) to get that rack square and plumb (and level if ganging multiple racks together). This advice is the same regardless of if it's a platform, or directly on a concrete pad or subfloor.

Quote:
I definitely will do the vertical power strip. So I just plug the power strip into my Panamax and then all the equipment into the strip, right? I have read before that my amps should just be plugged into the wall with no conditioner/surge protector. Your thoughts?

Most pros run the amps and more robust hardware directly to the surge protection... and place a UPS in the system (which is itself plugged into the surge protection) and then plug all of the equipment with hard drives or microprocessors into the UPS. This means media servers/HTPCs, cable/sat DVRs, control processors, etc.

There are a ton of threads here on the subject, and many of them devolve into whiny pissing matches over various approaches... I don't think either of us wants to see those posts pop up here (and I won't address them anyway).

Quote:
I didn't catch the info about the 10-32 cage nuts versus the 12-24. Are you saying they're are not standard on both pieces then?

The default for our industry is pre-tapped 10-32 rails and 10-32 hardware...

Middle Atlantic does offer options such as cage nut and 12-24, but they are mainly for crossover users in the teledata industry!

Quote:
I did call Chatsworth, but I did not get the type of assistance I wanted.

That is a red flag to me...

I know that the DIYs make decisions based on different criteria than pros, but TRUST ME that service and support is a #1 priority.... If a manufacturer can't offer you assistance to PURCHASE their product, what good will they be when you run into trouble??

In the A/V industry, Raxxess and Lowell also make racks very similar to many of the models Middle Atlantic offers, but Middle Atlantic is the class leader without question... I choose to use Middle Atlantic 100% of the time because of their excellent support.

As for Middle Atlantic, go download their Rack Tools software and lay out your system that way. The custom cut shelves are called RSH shelves, and the data base exists in Rack Tools so that you can determine the racked height and depth of each component going into a shelf...

·
Registered
102 Posts
You mean like this??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks cinemascope -

I may just end up using Middle Atlantic if I can't get good support from another company.

And yeah, I will go ahead and cut the hole about 4-6 inches above the floor, basically a few inches above the baseboard trim. I will have may dad build some kind of platform out of steel or aluminum, bolt that to the floor, then the rack to the platform.

Verrot - that is nice! I have the same kind of idea. Except mine will be on the side wall and not directly on the floor. But same concept as far and the back of the unit being in the "equipment room" and just the front showing into the theater. Is that an IBM rack? How did your equipment mount? Did you use shelving and blank panels?? If so, what brand?

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep,,, that's an IBM rack.

I purchased shelves for all my components,,, I'm not sure if they are the Odyssey brand or not,,, but they look just like them. No blanks or cut out front panels,,, the components are all standard width,,, so the rack only leaves about 1/2" on each side open. I didn't want to bother with panels,,, if I didn't have a front door on it,,, I might feel differently.

I got standard 42U shelves that screw into the front panel notches.,,, single or double slot depending on what component I wanted to place onto it. I also got a couple of server rack rails for the amps. They only support the amps from the outside edges,,, so more air can flow around them for cooling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts