AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not familiar with the device - but it is based on NDAS protocol. I have not seen many devices (network storage) that support NDAS.

Specs seems to support most formats though not sure about divx/xvid and iso formats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

Do you know which chip does this device have? Also, what was the price? I checked www.outpost.com but they don't have this model on their site yet. I'm looking to get a popcorn hour, but the wait time is too long, if this is comparable in features and readily availble, I'd opt for Klegg.

Thanks,

DG

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkoG /forum/post/12978381

Hi,

Do you know which chip does this device have? Also, what was the price? I checked www.outpost.com but they don't have this model on their site yet. I'm looking to get a popcorn hour, but the wait time is too long, if this is comparable in features and readily availble, I'd opt for Klegg.

Thanks,

DG

I don't know what chip it uses but the price is $189 at my local Fry's. One thing that the website does not tell you is that you have to buy your own internal hard drive(any SATA drive). I went to Fry's during lunch today and open the box.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I asked their support about this, but they wouldn't tell me what chip is inside, and the website really doesn't say if it supports H.264 or not. I'm interested in H.264 format support, if it doesn't have it it's most likely one of the older Sigma processors, in which case I'll go with the popcorn hour.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got one unit from my local Fry's last night. The processor is Sigma 8621. The interface for the internal HDD is SATA. I've tried playing the following formats over the wireless connection without an internal HDD:

- ISO - plays but playback is choppy (in all fairness this could be to poor quality of my wireless connection)

- TS - plays, also choppy,

- DiVX, XviD - plays fine over the wireless

- H.264 - downloaded a sample from the internet, the audio plays but no video, I guess 8621 does not support H.264?

Return policy is 30 days, so I'll give it a week or two to see if I like it enough to keep it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live on the West coast and the Fry's ad that just came out today has the Klegg NDAS Mediashare for $129. (It's Friday, Feb. 1st).

Question: If I am sitting in front of my TV and want to show video or photos from one of the computers on the home network, can I just use the remote that comes with the unit to download and show the photos? Or do I have to go to the computer and transfer the files to the mediashare unit first?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a couple of questions :

- can this thing play WMV-HD ( 1920x1080 ) ?

- can it play HDV (m2t) streams (1920x1080) ?

I am not interested in wireless, music, xivd divx etc.

Only HD content. I shoot video using a HDV camcorder. After editing i need to have a way to easily show the video. Streaming it back to tape is cumbersome and time consuming and i need to reconnect the camera to the TV to be able to watch it. This box would be ideal , copy the file over. unplug and i can take it with me to show the video on the fly.

I have been looking at the Tvix 5100 or 4100 as well as a couple of other devices.

On the network side : this thing uses NDAS. But can it also use NAS ? I absolutely refuse to install the ximeta NDAS driver. I had a very bad experience with a ximeta drive before (it basically hosed my system. i had to reinstall Os and everything to get rid of it, because it interfered with drivers for the RAID board in my computer)

If it does not have NAS i will use it through USB (which is fine for me)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen /forum/post/13001745

Without H.264 support this mediaplayer is already obsolete. Save your $$.

That not true, most non-itunes videos files that you download on the net are AVI, also went you rip a DVD you get VOB files which this player supports. So not having H.264 maybe not be the best thing the world but it not as bad as you make it out to be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did actually think about returning the unit, however after the price reduction of $60 I think it's quite well priced. I got the price difference back yesterday and invested it into a 500GB SATA drive. I'll post my impressions in the Klegg thread once I try it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_electron /forum/post/13000985

I have a couple of questions :

- can this thing play WMV-HD ( 1920x1080 ) ?

- can it play HDV (m2t) streams (1920x1080) ?

I am not interested in wireless, music, xivd divx etc.

Only HD content. I shoot video using a HDV camcorder. After editing i need to have a way to easily show the video. Streaming it back to tape is cumbersome and time consuming and i need to reconnect the camera to the TV to be able to watch it. This box would be ideal , copy the file over. unplug and i can take it with me to show the video on the fly.

I have been looking at the Tvix 5100 or 4100 as well as a couple of other devices.

On the network side : this thing uses NDAS. But can it also use NAS ? I absolutely refuse to install the ximeta NDAS driver. I had a very bad experience with a ximeta drive before (it basically hosed my system. i had to reinstall Os and everything to get rid of it, because it interfered with drivers for the RAID board in my computer)

If it does not have NAS i will use it through USB (which is fine for me)

Decided to have a look despite reservations. This unit is definitely NDAS only but compatible with existing netdisk drivers BTW. FWIW, having used Netdisks for years, my experience with NDAS has been nothing but positive. IMO, the major drawback so far, ignoring poor fit and finish and the fact that Klegg didn't even bother to re-write the manual in comprehensible English, is the continuous, loud fan noise which is easily audible several feet away especially during quiet passages. Works fine in direct USB/NDAS mode, and, after a little tweaking, in wireless mode, but there must be some magic in getting it to "see" network shares despite all sorts of fiddling. Direct USB transfer rates are typical of USB 2.0; transfer rates in NDAS mode are around 40% slower, but still nearly twice as fast as standard NAS. Wireless transfer rates are abysmal. Direct playback of Divx/Xvid and mp3 files is fine so far, and the interface is not fancy but serviceable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi paulallen,

What kind of NAS and NDAS devices are you comparing ? What transfer rates are you getting on NDAS and NAS.

The reason i ask is that i get (imho) abysmal performance on NDAS.

I can transfer ~ 5GB in 20 minutes from PC share to PC share but takes about an hour using NDAS. I have both the Mediashare and a Netdisk enclosure, and both show similar slow speeds.

/// Motu

·
Registered
859 Posts
I too have a seperate NDAS enclosure (SmartDisk). My file transfers from PC to enclosure are nowhere near as slow as yours. I can transfer about ~8 GB file from PC (XP sp2) in about 15 minutes to either the SmartDisk or a Rapsody N35 unit (has a built in NDAS chip).

I suggest that you check the Ximeta website for the latest drivers. If you have the latest drivers it might be your router.

I have not setup any file sharing on my PC or N35. All of my file transfers are via NDAS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts