AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the encryption is so good that the studios themselves haven't figured out how to duplicate the tapes !

I have been waiting for X-Men 2 D-VHS since early december from bestprices.com . Still no word on availability. This is ridiculous. This format is doomed. Good thing D-Theater movies weren't the primary reason for me buying a JVC D-VHS deck ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
You might want to try another source. I got X-Men 2 with no wait from dvdempire.com

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Bestprices has a notoriously terrible shipping dept. If you're in a hurry for stuff then order somewhere else like DVDEmpire or Widescreen Review.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You shouldn't have titles like that...I have heard boasts in the aether about D-Theater cracking. Not like I believe it though...

Darius

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I am also still waiting for X-2 from Bestprices. No listing for any new D-Theater titles there, either. I have been waiting for over 2 months now.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shah8,

The title was a joke to get people's attention.

If I were you, I wouldn't put that much faith in D-Theater encryption.

My opinion as a software engineer working on encryption for the past 7 years is that D-Theater it is a proprietary, undocumented JVC encryption scheme which hasn't been subjected to any public comment or research by cryptographers. What that means is that it likely has some serious weaknesses, probably unknown to JVC, but which could be obvious to a third party reviewer. That has happened to numerous security protocols in the past. A good encryption protocol can't be broken, even when you know exactly how it works. And even a good security protocol can have a poor implementation that is vulnerable.

Also - giving JVC the benefit of the doubt - even if they did their job right and the encryption scheme is sound and well-implemented, it is likely that a D-VHS deck could be tampered with to extract the content digitally during playback after it is decrypted, before it is sent to the MPEG-2 decoder. I'm no hardware engineer so I won't even attempt to speculate how this would be done, but I'm guessing that it would be less expensive than trying to break the encryption.

That said, I can't imagine why anyone would want to crack D-Theater at this point, except as a research project to prove its flaws. There sure as hell isn't any money in the format, and hardly any titles worth copying.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
mad..... Your point? no one here could doubt that all things could be cracked, given time, hell locks only keep the honest, honest, everyone knows that, BTW; WHO is selling off the OSCAR screening DVD's! was it YOU? Only the MPAA knows............ ROFLOL.........

Should I not be able to afford to buy the tape(s), I'd find another hobby, not try to rip someone off. IMHO, your might vary.......

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Actually, I knew it was a joke. It's still not quite a wise one.

As far as breaking it. No, I already thought through a brute force method of copying, and I'm pretty sure others have thought the same. It just wouldn't involve decryption...It just really wouldn't be worth my time, even as cheap as it is now. Also, I don't have access to the tapes or the deck as of now, and there is hardly anything I want that's exclusive to the format. Lastly, I'm not one of those idiotic crackers that go around bragging about what I just did. If I'm going to be doing something really bad, I'm going to do something bad quietly. Thus, I have no motive to do something for rep, either.

Now, you might think the above is good news for D-Theater. Actually, you'd have thought wrong.

Darius

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
I am also still waiting for X-2 from Bestprices. No listing for any new D-Theater titles there, either. I have been waiting for over 2 months now.
I received an email today saying my X-2 tape is shipping. Whoohoo!!!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Yeah, I got that one too. I cancelled my order yesterday because I got tired of waiting with no answer. Then I ordered the tapes from Widescreen Review.

Wait two months and then cancel and they ship the day I cancel. Ugh!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr poindexter,

Same thing happened to me, I tried to cancel my x2 order yesterday and just got an e-mail today that it shipped. But i hadn't placed another order for x2 at another outlet yet, so hopefully I will get my copy soon..

mikey p, frankly this isn't a laughing matter. Not every encryption scheme can be cracked, and some are provably uncrackable in fact (one-time pad).

And for the record I would be the last one trying to rip someone off.

shah8, I don't know why you would unequivocally call breaking encryption a bad thing. For cryptography to progress it is imperative that some people keep analyzing and trying to break new schemes. Cryptanalysts do it for a living, and tell the world about it when they succeed.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
*ahem* when I'm doing something criminolists call innovative behavior, then I will do so quietly.

Feel better now? 'cause no matter how righteous the cause is, some people are going to be decidedly unsympathetic. And while I'm an open, exhibitionist person, I'm not quite an insane fool.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think the attitude of folks on this forum is that making a duplicate D-Theater tape is an interesting challenge, but not in the best interest of our hobby.

I know how to do it, BTW, but I'm not telling anyone. :)

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
If you open a JVC D-Theater VCR there is a big button on the main PC board that says "do not push this button". If you push the button then the IEEE1394 signal comes out with no 5C and you can copy everything freely. OK - I let the cat out of the bag. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Mine has a third button. Its is pressed on already. It says, Tapes will self destruct beginning on the third play and the heads will self destruct in 10 plays of the same tape. :)

It doesn't really say that. It just has a code number but if you look that code up in the factory service bulletins thats what it says. Or at least that's the best of my ability to translate Japanese. :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the X2 tape earlier than expected, saturday actually.

Put the tape in my 30k ...

The sound was fine, but the video was full of garbage (various horizontal lines of random colors over the picture everywhere) ! I promise, I didn't try to havek the damn deck !

Tried my other D-Theater tapes that I watched before. Same exact problem . Tried to fiddle with the menus, to no avail . So finally I pulled the power from the deck ...

Tried to play the tape again. Now I had no picture or sound whatsoever.

Then I unplugged the power once more ... and finally it played the x2 tape just fine.

After that, it played the whole movie fine without a single case of pixelization ...

Damn glad I got the extended warranty on this refurb 30k from ecost, I think I will use it before long (the 90 days JVC warranty just expired!).

Oh, and BTW I could only select the DD5.1 and stereo tracks, but not the DTS track ... bummer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.