AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently saw a web site where someone had a bit of a problem keeping plywood glued to Acoustik mat. They had Acoustik mat glued to the sub-floor and then they glued plywood on top of the Acoustik mat--as seems to be the normal practice. The top layer of plywood came up in some places. This has raised some concern with my contractor about using this material.

Has anyone else who has used Acoustik mat had problems with plywood/OSB not staying glued down, warping, etc.?

What type of adhesive did you use?

Did you use OSB or plywood on top of the Acoustik mat?

How long has your floor been in place?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
It may help to screw while the glue sets, then remove the screws. If your plywood is warped that can be an issue, another way is to use the T&G plywood which keeps the edges tied together.

You should use the recommended adhesives from the manufacturer - they know what bonds to both rubber and wood if your contractor does not.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks krasmuzik. Do you specify acoustik mat for your designs?

I'm hoping some users can provide feedback from actual implementations--good or bad.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I specify heavy shredded rubber matt - but not that brand. I just had a contractor completely redo the floor for not following specs (popup and all) - it worked fine when done right.

The other thing of note is you need to make sure the subfloor is up to par you might need to stiffen with another subfloor layer - if it is already floppy that can cause popup problems.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I'd definitely second the recommendation for tongue in groove material.

Bryan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I glued Acoustik mat from www.acousticalsurfaces.com to a concrete floor using the recommended DA5 adhesive. I then glued 3/4" tongue n groove OSB using the recommended Poly300 adhesive. It has been down for 3 months and hasn't given me any issues. I bought the OSB at a local Lowes and it was fairly flat & uniform, especially compared to the other plywood subflooring choices that Lowes had laying around. Lowes did not have 3/4" CDX plywood as a choice so the OSB was good alternative.

I bought the Acoustik mat and both types of adhesive from Acoustical Surfaces and several weeks later I did notice that the contractor that installed the panels in our shower used the same Poly300 adhesive. I wish I'd looked around locally for the adhesive in order to save a little on the shipping cost (oh well).

George

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bryan and George.

George, it's interesting that you used OSB. I called Acoustical Surfaces today and they stressed that I should not use OSB. They said one should use exterior or marine grade plywood as the top layer as it apparently doesn't soak up moisture as much as OSB or non-exterior grade plywood. They said moisture can sometimes be a problem when people have their carpet cleaned if a lot of moisture soaks into the OSB.

It's great that you haven't had any problems though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts