Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I pulled a BIG boner!

I had my carpeting put down then took down all the chairs and found out the riser was not high enough while watching my first movie.

I used the calculator and came up with 10 inches and looks like I may need 6 more. Im thinking about building another riser under the second row of chairs.Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone have any other sugestions?

Thanks for any replies

vid53

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can always put some 2x6 studs under it, but obviously you will have to have it carpeted so that it matches your current look. This is probably your best option. Don't forget to build a step too, as 16" is a bit of a groin pull!

Probably not an option, maybe you can raise the screen?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do you have room to raise your screen up? That might be the easiest fix.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no room to raise the screen.

Tonight I put two 4x4s under each side of a chair and it looks like I will need the 7 inches to make it work. Right now I have a riser 10 feet wide by 8 foot deep. It is 10 inches tall now with 2 steps.I think I will build a 7 inch tall riser under the second row and have that carpeted.

How does this sound?

Vid53

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If it were me I Would build the next one so it looks like another step and keep it just in front of the seating for those that arent in recline mode. that way it looks like it was planned that way and carpeting is a breeze.

Doesnt look like a biggy to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I built a 12" riser (its close to 13-13.5" after pad/carpet actually) and I can live with it, but it would be much nicer if the rear seats are higher. I don't want to raise the entire riser, and I am thinking of just building a small platform just to sit under the chairs to raise it 3-4" (not sure how much I need). I am wondering if it will look stupid though. I have Berkline 090's...

Does anyone think that I need to extend this new platform so peoples feet will rest on it, or is it enough to just make it big enough for the chairs to sit on?

http://home.comcast.net/~lsp79/Img_0180.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMO, I would build it out to support the feet also . . . it probably would feel "weird" not having floor where you think floor should be. You best option would probably raise the riser and just deal with the step. You could probably leave it, or lower the step if you have some extra carpeting . . . you probably need some carpet to cover the raised portion of the platform anyway.

On a side note . . . nice seating configuration . . . same as mine, but they are not delivered yet. What type of covering did you go with??

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem at a customers house. So we built a 2x4 platform covered it in 3/4 plywood and painted it flat black. But we measured it as small as possible so it wouldn't be noticeable. From edge to edge on the bottom feet of the recliners. Looked great and the customer was happy.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Is your room some what small? What are:

Rooms dimensions (height, width and length)?

Screen height from bottom of screen to floor?

Seating distance to screen?

Do you have more pictures of the room?

From the pictures that you have posted so far - you have to be careful with the space under the ceiling (or in case of other fellow's pic posted - with the soffit). You do not really want anyone to get up and hit there head. Building an additional second (or third) level riser of only say 1 foot out from the chairs so that viewers can rest their feet but would hopefully avoid standing on might alleviate this.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid53
...... and found out the riser was not high enough while watching my first movie.

I used the calculator and came up with 10 inches and looks like I may need 6 more.
This really concerns me, while planning my setup. Why would the calculator be so off for your room? What is the size of your room, distance for eyes for both rows and the height of the bottom of your screen?

I have a 12.2 x 21.5 room. Eyes will be at 11.5 and 17.5 and my screen is going to be about 28" up and the calculator tells me I need a 14" riser.

Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
The chairs are Berkline 090, grade 2 fabric pattern 3080, color 28 (gray microfiber). They are SWEET! I purchased them from Roman's powerbuy and just got them 2 days ago.

Here are my current thoughts (I've been changing them so often!):

-The Berkline 090's are pretty low to the ground, so a small few inch platform JUST under the chairs would not make the chairs feel too high, so I dont think it will feel like feet are floating if there is something only under the chair to elevate it. Of course, I am going to test this out before building anything by sticking something under the feet of the chair.

-I may not need to elevate at all. If someone sits like an idiot perfectly flat (which is REALLY uncomfortable BTW), their head goes into the 16x9 portion of my 4:3 screen. However, if someone sits like they are watching a movie, its actually fine.

-The calculator was not wrong. My actual results were different than what I originally chose. For example, My screen couldn't be as high as I originally hoped (it was close, but a few inches here and there are important!) Also, I never actually saw the 090's in the store - I saw the 094, and made some assumptions about how far someones head would stick above the back of the chair. This varies with how someone sits in the chair, how tall, etc.

As it turns out, I am 6' tall, and I can stand on the riser and not hit my head on the ductwork that you see on part of the ceiling. Its perfect! I would NOT want to rise the riser as this would become sub-optimal.

My current plan is to watch movies down there with company over and see how it works out. If its annoying, I'll build a small super-riser out of 2x4's and a sheet of plywood for the back row.

-Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.