AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
There is not much output from the sub. I have spent almost 2 weeks doing the sub crawl. I have ran Audyssey 4 different times. The first time I used the parameters listed in the box as a starting point, and the sub was barely audible. I followed some suggestions on here and started the sub at 75db before running Audyssey, then bumped it up with the receiver 8 to 10 db, and this made a difference, but not a ton. Still has far less output the the SVS PB 2000 it is replacing. I know they are not going to sound the Same and the Monolith should have a flatter response but anything above 35-40 hz sounds hollow, almost anemic.

Last time I turned all THX settings off and added a Y Adapter to the inputs on the sub. Turned the gain knob to above +6 or about 75-80% on the back and it did come alive a bit, receiver sub setting was +4. Played about 15 minutes of Ready Player One and probably -15 on Marantz volume, and it sounded closer to what I was expecting, but after 15 minutes there was a smell from the sub, so I turned it off.

I have adjusted the phase, all eq settings. Currently all THX is off and EQ set up through the Marantz. Fronts left to small and at 80hz, LFE +Main turned off, Dynamic EQ turned off. I almost need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything I have tried, and I still want to most my SVS back downstairs

That is a lot of things to try. It definitely sounds like you should RMA it.

·
Registered
21,463 Posts
I no longer have the boxes... (
This is something @MonolithGuy should communicate to ALL previous and current Monolith THX sub customers until the amp swap is up and running as it will cost him money to send replacement boxes in order to execute an RMA.

You don't want to jury rig a box arrangement to return such a heavy sub as damage is almost a guarantee.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is something @MonolithGuy should communicate to ALL previous and current Monolith THX sub customers until the amp swap is up and running as it will cost him money to send replacement boxes in order to execute an RMA.

You don't want to jury rig a box arrangement to return such a heavy sub as damage is almost a guarantee.
Amen to that!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry to hear.
Please keep us posted on the return process. Would also like to know more about the issue of your unit if possible.
So far so good. Received RMA labels last night. I emailed CS and explained my situation and that I did not want a replacement sub. They were understanding and are setting up a Fedex freight pickup at the house. Refund withing 5-7 business days which is pretty standard. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The worst part is repacking and watching Fedex take her away. Back to the drawing board.

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
First Post, looong time reader! I'm the product manager for the Monolith series at Monoprice (and all of audio too). We are definitely exploring allowing customers to just swap the amplifier, and not have to send the whole subwoofer back. The return rate has been so low that I didn't think doing this was necessary, but I definitely see how difficult it is for those that do have defective amps. This will take some time to implement and get the replacement amplifiers in stock, but it will be something we will be rolling out in the future.
Received my 15” 2 weeks ago dead on arrival. I cannot move the sub and box is torn up after unpacking.
I cannot send back and just want a new amp even if I have to buy it. I called and they said needs to be returned.
Please help

Bob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Sadly though, if the amp fails, you should be able to just send the amp back, like many ID companies allow for. What a pain in the buttocks to have to box a 130 pound item to send it back. How long do most people keep the shipping box and materials from something so big?!? With that said, I have heard these things are bad az$, they should just tweak the service a bit.
I don't trust any sub with a built in amp for this reason. Much better to go with diy passive subwoofer with external amplifier.
Totally agree. You can get really good premade flat packs from multiple sources now, and Behringer's new NX series amps are great.

That is seriously such BS that Monolith is putting him through this. You should NOT have to send the entire sub back, that is insane.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Although Monolith had stated months ago they were changing policy so amp/driver problems could just be exchanged without returning the entire sub, clearly this has not been implemented yet:rolleyes:. Back to back mold issues with one person,,,dead amps and apparently sub par customer support still going on. Now someone willing to pay for his own replacement amp and denied. I'll say it again,,, there is much more to a sub purchase that the best performance per $$.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I returned four of them, two sets with mold. Total pain in the rear! Luckily io didn’t have them long and had all the packing material.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Although Monolith had stated months ago they were changing policy so amp/driver problems could just be exchanged without returning the entire sub, clearly this has not been implemented yet:rolleyes:. Back to back mold issues with one person,,,dead amps and apparently sub par customer support still going on. Now someone willing to pay for his own replacement amp and denied. I'll say it again,,, there is much more to a sub purchase that the best performance per $$.
Fully agree - where's that guy now, who was white knighting in a bunch of Monoprice threads about a year ago?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Monolith 15 Return

First Post, looong time reader! I'm the product manager for the Monolith series at Monoprice (and all of audio too). We are definitely exploring allowing customers to just swap the amplifier, and not have to send the whole subwoofer back. The return rate has been so low that I didn't think doing this was necessary, but I definitely see how difficult it is for those that do have defective amps. This will take some time to implement and get the replacement amplifiers in stock, but it will be something we will be rolling out in the future.
Both of my Monolith 15 drivers have rattle noise. I've been needing to return them for replacements but I threw away the boxes for the sub. I would love to just be able to return the drivers. Is there any update on being able to do this? CS told me they cannot send me replacement packaging to return the subs and that I just need to "find" a sturdy box to ship it in. It would be much easier to just return the drivers. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Both of my Monolith 15 drivers have rattle noise. I've been needing to return them for replacements but I threw away the boxes for the sub. I would love to just be able to return the drivers. Is there any update on being able to do this? CS told me they cannot send me replacement packaging to return the subs and that I just need to "find" a sturdy box to ship it in. It would be much easier to just return the drivers. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.
If you live in a big city, look for UPS. Sometime, they have packaging center. If not, a moving company may offer a box solution. Other than that, no suggestion on my part.

Darth

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have had 2 monolith 12s for just over 1 year. Had some regular thumping from one. Thought it may be RF and changed outlet and things worked for a while. Thumping came back, the second one on the same circuit is fine, and so switched faulty one off then back on. Now light on back flashes red/green and no sound at all. Not happy as sounded fine otherwise. Leaving it off then will try on again but likely not good. Contacting Monoprice tomorrow. Have seen other threads saying thumping was failed capacitor. Happy to swap myself if possible. Will update with news. Any similar experience here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Monolith 12 is on my very short list of possible subs for in upgrade.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I’ve heard of potential difficulties with returns or exchanges through Monoprice, especially on something that large and expensive.

Has anyone had to return or exchange a

Monolith? If so, what was your experience?
Hello Avs Forum! I'm new here!

After all those raving reviews, and my personal research, I decided to purchase Monolith 15 directly from Monoprice.

It was on sale for $1199.99

Such a great deal, right?

So I received my very first Monolith 15.

I calibrated few times both THX and Extended mode using my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303.

Aftet I checked my calibration data, I noticed something little strange🤔

My AVR gain is set to +6!

That's too much avr gain IMO.

I have my current subwoofer Polk PSW505 which is only 400 watt & 12 inch subwoofer.
It's supposed to be far less powerful than the Monolith.

But my calibration, PSW505 sets the receiver gain around -12db

How come my Monolith 15 calibration sets the avr gain way higher than my PSW505.

No way!

Also the sound coming out of the Monolith was tiny compared to PSW505.

Then I noticed back of my Monolith has flashing lights of green and red.

I was like WTH?

After couple hours of the light flashing, it was making weird noise like wind blowing or swimming inside of water.

Then I realized, I got a bad defective product.

Sigh...

I contacted Monoprice thru their chat, and i got their response right away.

They told me it's a defective product and will issue a RMA right away.

Yup, I received 2 emails including 2 PDF to send it back and get a replacement.

About 2 weeks later of my returning Monolith free with FedEx, I finally got my replacement.

So I hooked it up and did my calculations as usual.

This time my avr gain was set to +0.5db.
I guess it's better but still too much avr gain IMO.

Again, I compared it with my Polk PSW505.
My small Polk sub is still way louder, rich, powerful with clean bass coming out.

So I turned up back of Monolith sub gain to almost max, then I can finally hear a ok bass.

What I notice is that, my Monolith did produce loud right in front of it.
But when I step away just a couple feet, the sound is tiny again.

My calibration is correct with all the distances and stuff. I even added a few feet to the distance to get better response suggested by a YouTuber Subwoofer 101.

Still didn't get the sound pressure and volume i expected.

My small Polk PSW505 was roughly 4 to 5 times louder than supposedly a monster Monolith 15.

It shouldn't be like this!

I've really had it!
I decided to get a refund instead of getting another replacement😥

So I contacted Monoprice via email yesterday (6/24/20)and i got their response right away.
They said it seems to be another defective product, and they are issuing RMA to return the product.

I'll be sadly returning it later this week.

Such a bad luck i have...😭

To make my situation worse, this Monolith was for my birthday present. I just turned 43 couple weeks ago.

I'm highly disappointed😥

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
To make my situation worse, this Monolith was for my birthday present. I just turned 43 couple weeks ago.

I'm highly disappointed😥

That is a sad story you just shared. That is really frustrating. Monolith subs are good from all accounts but there was a rash of bad amplifiers hitting their products earlier in the year. Sounds like they still had some in stock.

There are some great 15" sub options out there. Some are even less expensive. Some are more. What are you looking for?

·
Registered
715 Posts

The only thing that gives me pause is that I’ve heard of potential difficulties with returns or exchanges through Monoprice, especially on something that large and expensive.

After all those raving reviews, and my personal research, I decided to purchase Monolith 15 directly from Monoprice.

I calibrated few times both THX and Extended mode using my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303.

I have my current subwoofer Polk PSW505 which is only 400 watt & 12 inch subwoofer.

How come my Monolith 15 calibration sets the avr gain way higher than my PSW505.

No way!

I was like WTH?

After couple hours of the light flashing, it was making weird noise like wind blowing or swimming inside of water.

Sigh...

About 2 weeks later of my returning Monolith free with FedEx, I finally got my replacement.

My small Polk sub is still way louder, rich, powerful with clean bass coming out.

So I turned up back of Monolith sub gain to almost max, then I can finally hear a ok bass.

My calibration is correct with all the distances and stuff. I even added a few feet to the distance to get better response suggested by a YouTuber Subwoofer 101.

My small Polk PSW505 was roughly 4 to 5 times louder than supposedly a monster Monolith 15.

I've really had it!

So I contacted Monoprice via email yesterday (6/24/20)and i got their response right away.
They said it seems to be another defective product, and they are issuing RMA to return the product.

I'm highly disappointed😥
How did you run calibration on the replacement sub? You have to turn the gain knob up before calibration to get a negative number closer to -11dB. Audyssey wanted me to set the sub to hit 75dB, but that produced a sub trim at -3dB. So I turned up the gain and re-ran Audyssey and hit around -9.5dB. With that said, you still should have been getting more output than you wrote, so it must've been bad luck on both subs you received.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I'm highly disappointed😥

That is a sad story you just shared. That is really frustrating. Monolith subs are good from all accounts but there was a rash of bad amplifiers hitting their products earlier in the year. Sounds like they still had some in stock.

There are some great 15" sub options out there. Some are even less expensive. Some are more. What are you looking for?
Thank you for replying😊

After I decided to return my replacement today, I was trying to go for a dual sub. Like dual SVS PB2000PRO or even dual HSU subs.

I was so sick of packed up and sending away the huge a$$ 130lbs subwoofer twice in a month.

I was like, HECK! I'm not gonna go thru something like this again.

I was pretty much done searching for the new subs for while.

My apartment is rather small and walls are thin anyway. I don't need to have big subs just yet.

I do have perfectly working Polk PSW505, and i also have JBL 250EP sub as well. I could use em as dual even though calibration would be pain in the a$$

So what now?

After I get my refund which should be in a couple week, I most likely will upgrade my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 receiver to something superb.

I have a few good reasons I wanna upgrade my current Pioneer receiver.

1. Sound quality is rather subpar(my old receiver sounded much better)

2. No pre-outs for using separate amplifier.

3. Two subwoofer outputs produce the same signal. No separate calibration is possible.

4. No individual crossover settings.

I have a lot more reasons but those are some of the main reasons I wanna upgrade.

Well, I'm thinking to get the brand new Denon AVR-X6700H.

That's a such a huge step for me pricewise.

I will be eating packages of cheap ramen noodles for a while😆

Good ol' college days😅

·
Registered
7 Posts

No way!

I was like WTH?

Sigh...

I've really had it!

I'm highly disappointed😥
How did you run calibration on the replacement sub? You have to turn the gain knob up before calibration to get a negative number closer to -11dB. Audyssey wanted me to set the sub to hit 75dB, but that produced a sub trim at -3dB. So I turned up the gain and re-ran Audyssey and hit around -9.5dB. With that said, you still should have been getting more output than you wrote, so it must've been bad luck on both subs you received.
Thank you for replying.
I forgot to mention I used Y-spliter cable for my replacement Monolith thinking I can get more volume.

First I set my replacement sub to THX which Monoprice recommend.

That led me avr gain set to like +0.5

Then I also used Extended mode to calibrate it Turning up the back of sub gain knob to about 2 o'clock. I don't really remember exactly the calibration result but it was around the same avr gain.

Still too high of avr gain.

After I had to return massive 130lbs Monolith twice in a month, I decided I was done searching for subs for a while.

I will eventually get solid but smaller dual subwoofers in the future. Just not ready yet.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
^^ Before you give up on sub shopping,, keep in mind only Monolith brand subs require you to ship the "whole" sub back if there is an amp or driver problem. SVS/PSA/Rythmik/DSS/Funk/ and pretty much all other ID companies will not require you to do this "if" you have a problem. They will try and diagnose the issue with you and either send a replacement amp/driver. Swapping either of those out is far less of a hassle than sending back a 130Lb sub

Reactions: Deaf-Forever
21 - 40 of 62 Posts