AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this 32" model. I heard the 34" widescreen was very nice, but i havm't heard anyone mention this one, thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned the Sampo SME 32HD5 for a month now and couldn't be happier.

I bought this model to replace a 3 week old Panny CTHX40 Tau that completely lost power and refused to work. Sears' dispatched tech couldn't fix it so back it went.

After more research, I decided to give Sampo a try; I liked the toshiba-made CRT, the plethora of controls, and the computer monitor ability.

I found it at dealmountain.com for $1400 shipped to AZ with a 4 year extended warranty. What a deal!

The one thing I was a little disappointed with when I unboxed it was that the CRT is not completely flat; it does have some curvature to it, but after getting each input dialed in w/ video essentials and marveling at the images, who cares if it's not pure flat?

Overall, I'm really happy with the performance / value ratio and really glad it fit in my entertainment center.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've owned the Sampo 32 for about six months. This is my second set--the first failed after about 48 hours. The replacement is working well video-wise although the internal audio system has failed. Not a problem as I don't use it. Also, the geometry and convergence is OK but not great. Colorwise, the set is superb. I like the set because it does 1080i and 720P as well as other computer formats.

NTSC performance is very weak as it has no internal line doubler and only a notch filter. Otherwise, a good value if you don't mind watching 16:9 letterboxed on a 4:3 screen. The actual 16:9 diagonal pic works out to about 29" or so..which is satisfactory sitting 5-6 feet away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Sampo 32 inch is slated to be replaced with a true flat screen anyday now. Not sure of the particulars, stats, etc...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, i didn't know it was going to replaced anyday now? Did you get the info from Sampo itself?The one thing i didn't like (i've never seen it though in real life) was that it wasn't a true flat screen and i woulda like a little bigger tv. I really like the idea of 720p as i would be playing some computer games on it also. Thanks again for the replies, I hope the new Sampo comes out soon i have about 1 month before i HAVE TO buy something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just step up to the 34" set. You get a wide screen with a flat screen plus a larger screen size. Plus if you see on other threads there are some real good prices out there on it (Costco $1999 (some locations) and Fry's $2500). It all depends on where you live. I have the 34" and I am very happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.