AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have yet to hear any detailed reviews of the MPX, but I have two of these on order after talking with Sandy Gross about them for my new HT setup. His claim is that they are meant to be surround speakers, but "work very well" as front main speakers, but everywhere I see them mentioned online, their primary duty is always described as being meant for rear in-wall surrounds. I might give him a call back, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone here has heard them being used as front main left and right in-walls? I'll be pairing them with a SuperSat 50 center channel, Invisa 650 rear surrounds, and an SVS PB-2000.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have yet to hear any detailed reviews of the MPX, but I have two of these on order after talking with Sandy Gross about them for my new HT setup. His claim is that they are meant to be surround speakers, but "work very well" as front main speakers, but everywhere I see them mentioned online, their primary duty is always described as being meant for rear in-wall surrounds. I might give him a call back, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone here has heard them being used as front main left and right in-walls? I'll be pairing them with a SuperSat 50 center channel, Invisa 650 rear surrounds, and an SVS PB-2000.
Did you have a chance to listen to the MPX?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have a chance to listen to the MPX?
Yes indeed; I installed them about a week after that post. They sound fantastic. Great, smoooooth highs from the ribbon tweeter, and great mids (and even lows), even for an in-wall. Installed them in between 2 x 6 studs, surrounded by insulation per the instructions. They're being used as my L and R front channels, with a GoldenEar SuperSat 60 in the center, and GoldenEar Invisa 650s as my L and R rear channels in the ceiling. Sub is an SVS PB-2000. Receiver is Marantz SR5008.

The whole system sounds incredible. Here's my complete writeup: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1526475-new-goldenear-invisa-mpx-wall-invisa-650-supersat-60-svs-pb2000-5-1-setup-first-impressions.html#post_24590635 :grin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just read you post and it provides fantastic insight, i also appreciate the prompt reply.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger and it sounds like we have a similar room size(15*25*19h-open to kitchen) along with budget($3500). As you mentioned Waf is important so i must go with the soundbar, i wanted super sat 60's as lcr but she said "hell no, not in my living room". MPX as the l&r look great in your setup but again i cannot do those as my wall is all stone. Supercinema 3d it is for the front.

I need help on the surrounds which sounds like you might have a more insight on. My concern with the rear is really about music and not so much surround duty. The wall the rear will be on/in faces the kitchen and my hope is to push the sound into that that room. In wall would be ideal as they look better and i can mount them above the listeners head. This leads me to a few questions...

1. Did you compare the the MPX with the supersat3's? double the price but do they provide more mid level and sound fuller?
2. Did you install 650 in the ceiling at 19'? how are they?

i believe i am going with the marantz 5009, sounds like you enjoy the 5008.
A sub is in play but yet to decide

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using MPX as a Center?

They advertise a whole "system" made up of the Invisa MPX. Has anyone heard the MPX used as a center channel? I have a Supersat 50 system today and the wife wants to move those to another room and replace them with something not so obvious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just read you post and it provides fantastic insight, i also appreciate the prompt reply.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger and it sounds like we have a similar room size(15*25*19h-open to kitchen) along with budget($3500). As you mentioned Waf is important so i must go with the soundbar, i wanted super sat 60's as lcr but she said "hell no, not in my living room". MPX as the l&r look great in your setup but again i cannot do those as my wall is all stone. Supercinema 3d it is for the front.

I need help on the surrounds which sounds like you might have a more insight on. My concern with the rear is really about music and not so much surround duty. The wall the rear will be on/in faces the kitchen and my hope is to push the sound into that that room. In wall would be ideal as they look better and i can mount them above the listeners head. This leads me to a few questions...

1. Did you compare the the MPX with the supersat3's? double the price but do they provide more mid level and sound fuller?
2. Did you install 650 in the ceiling at 19'? how are they?

i believe i am going with the marantz 5009, sounds like you enjoy the 5008.
A sub is in play but yet to decide
I did not compare the MPX with the SuperSat 3s, but I'd guess the MPX would sound fuller since they use the entire open area behind the speaker for bass reflex, while the SuperSat 3s only have a small cabinet to produce bass. Even with the bass radiator they'll probably sound thinner in comparison.

My 650s are installed in the ceiling in a 9-foot ceiling about 2' behind my couch (there is a balcony above which is why the ceiling is lower than the 19' raised ceiling in the rest of the room.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They advertise a whole "system" made up of the Invisa MPX. Has anyone heard the MPX used as a center channel? I have a Supersat 50 system today and the wife wants to move those to another room and replace them with something not so obvious.
Not quite sure. I'd be concerned that the ribbon tweeter's folds are set up horizontally when the MPXs are vertical. If you turned the MPXs horizontally, the ribbon would project/spread the sound up and down instead of across the listening horizontally. Make sense?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not quite sure. I'd be concerned that the ribbon tweeter's folds are set up horizontally when the MPXs are vertical. If you turned the MPXs horizontally, the ribbon would project/spread the sound up and down instead of across the listening horizontally. Make sense?
Good call out. I posted this on the Goldenear Forum as well, so we'll see what they say. I can't tell from the documentation (quick read only) if the tweeter is rotatable, but they clearly advertise a whole "system" made up of MPX speakers. Curious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts