AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I bought five for my HT, couldn't resist the closeout price! Powered by my LPA-1 they are very clear and dynamic, still evaluating but for wall mounts they are a great deal.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/12998347

Thanks for the informative input.

I guess I could have been more specific with my question but I assumed it was implied: What did you think of the sound?

I think they sound very good for on walls and match very well with the Evo box speakers. For the dough, they're a steal.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
I nabbed two silvers (for rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup) because I thought the color would go better with my white walls. Can't wait to fire them up over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have never heard speakers worse than those.

I've owned 3 of them, a total waste of money in my view. I will give you mine for free if you could pick them up !

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/12999262

I've owned 3 of them, a total waste of money in my view. I will give you mine for free if you could pick them up !

Just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/12998347

Thanks for the informative input.

I guess I could have been more specific with my question but I assumed it was implied: What did you think of the sound?

With respect, search the NHT thread for L5. You will find tons of information and opinions about them. I currently have both L5s (9 for 5.2 multichannel music and 7.2 DD/DTS) and M5s (2.2) set up in the same room. I find that for stereo listening the M5 is the superior choice due to the comparatively anemic 2 channel imaging from the L5s. For surround duty (be it derived or discrete), however, the L5s more than hold their own. I attribute this to the extra channels filling in the image. I should point out (as if it isn't evident) that my space is full of compromises.

I've heard better (to me Triad is one example), but for the money it will be hard to beat them.

Of course, YMMV considerably as evidenced by windwaves' revulsion.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=575291

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
it's not surprising to see such difference in opinions ! There are so many variables, not just mere personal preferences, which of course are one big piece of the equation.

Sneezy, I like your choice of the word "revulsion" - that is really what I meant

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/13000732

it's not surprising to see such difference in opinions ! There are so many variables, not just mere personal preferences, which of course are one big piece of the equation.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/13000732

Sneezy, I like your choice of the word "revulsion" - that is really what I meant

Glad I got it right!

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/12999262

Any takers on your offer? I'm sure there are many folks within driving distance who would enjoy your free L5s.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/13024602

I have received one (as opposed to many) PM from someone in my area. I suspect he's going to get them very soon.

At the price offered, he'd be a fool not to take them.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
may be.

I honestly do not know what the price is of these today, I think they were around ... actually I don't remember what I paid for them, it was nearly 3 years ago I think.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I bought my five for $179 each, and they work very well in my HT. Imaging is not a big concern for me, as I have a separate music room. When floor space is limited and on-wall is the best solution, the L5s are a great option. For the money they can't be beat, just pair them with a quality sub.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/13025784

I bought my five for $179 each, and they work very well in my HT. Imaging is not a big concern for me, as I have a separate music room. When floor space is limited and on-wall is the best solution, the L5s are a great option. For the money they can't be beat, just pair them with a quality sub.

fpb, do you have a picture of your room with the L5's setup?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts