AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I used a Draper model SL-8 scissor lift in my California home for room with 11 foot ceiling.

Draper makes other models with less weight capacity. What I liked about the Draper was that it was rated to withstand earthquakes. The Draper SL series has scissors on three sides which adds to stable image that does not shake. I have not had experience with Chief.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenG /forum/post/0

...I'm somewhat "forced" to go this route and was hoping others may have experience with this or other similar product.

I am in the exact same situation and will also be "forced" to go this route to make the projection room happen. My challeges are that there is a second story above where the lift needs to be installed, thus space above the ceiling drywall is at a premium. I also have a ceiling fan that I am being "forced" not to move, so I need the projector to drop 3ft or so. I was looking at the Chief SL-236 Cieling Lift, as they claim it can be installed in a finished ceiling. I will be lifting the Sony Pearl, which based on the dimensions looks like it will fit in this lift. Now my only question is if the lift is the right one for my needs.

I would love to hear anyone's experience with this lift, or other lifts they would recommend for a finished ceiling that has a 2nd story on top of it.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Steven, the really big challenge you face IMO is gaining access to the motor, etc IF the lift were not to descend. Maybe you could gain access through a panel in the second story above the lift. I suggest you talk to Chief and Draper yourself directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkriege /forum/post/0

I am in the exact same situation and will also be "forced" to go this route to make the projection room happen. My challeges are that there is a second story above where the lift needs to be installed, thus space above the ceiling drywall is at a premium. . .

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylvision /forum/post/0

Steven, the really big challenge you face IMO is gaining access to the motor, etc IF the lift were not to descend. Maybe you could gain access through a panel in the second story above the lift. I suggest you talk to Chief and Draper yourself directly.

Hmmm... Ok, that might not work. Access from the 2nd story would be in the middle of the floor of our Master bedroom. I'm pretty sure the wife wouldn't think much of that and neither would future buyers if we sold the place. I may look at pursuing an "in-wall type of installation, taking advantage of a under-the-stairway closet in the back of the room in question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.