AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a Sanyo PLV-60HT. Quotes in Canada are coming in $1000CAN more than the US (after considering exchange rate).

Has any of my fellow canadians purchased a projector from a US dealer such as projectorpeople.com? If so, were there any hassels? Did you have to pay duty or just PST and GST?

Thanks,

Radar

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have imported a couple or so. Duty was 4% I believe, GST is payable at 7%. Not sure if you have should have to pay it on used goods, you can try to get a refund through a customs application form. If it was made in the US the duty would be NIL, but you'd still have to pay GST....

I just ship through fedex international economy and they handle the gst/customs for 5$ or so. Make sure you insure it too. Mostly painless, just takes 2-4 days to clear customs.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I talked to Sanyo Canada about this and they were clear in terms of warranty. They will not honour the warrnty here for the products bought in US. Just keep this in mind. I was looking at the xp18n model around April of this year. Anyway, I did not get it. If it is a new product, warranty is important to me. Just thought you should know Sanyo Canada's position on this(unless they have changed recently).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Projectorman,

thanks for the lead...

they have quite reasonable prices for equipment!!

Miles

to you Canucks they are charging 495$ for an lt150 bulb!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting about the warrently. I had a PLV-60 on loan for a weekend and the warrently card and statement with the unit stated that the warrently applied to US and Canada.

I have to wonder about Sanyo Canada. They told me that the PLV-60 and PLV-60HT were identical units when I read on the Sanyo USA site that the HT version has reduced light output and other enhancements for home theatre application.

Ray

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Projector Man,

I tried MSCi... they don't deal with Sanyo. They are a sister company to Duocom. Duocom is an excellent company to deal with for NEC and Toshiba in Canada.

(I usually don't like to plug a company, however, I would like to help out any fellow Canadians purchasing a projector in Canada).

Ray

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've purchased an Infocus LP340 from Studio Experience. Their prices were, at the time, much better than what I could get locally.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would pursue the warranty issue a bit more. NEC provides a usa/canada warranty and you could ask Sanyo why they are not being competitive with a business projector that could easily be used by companies having offices in both countries. By the way I paid no duty on my LT150 when I brought it in from the states; the customs guy accepted it as a computer accessory. You will have to pay GSTas well as ontario sales tax though , if it is new, unlike the poster from Alberta where there is none.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Radar

MCSi in the States has the 60HT in-stock. Tell the Ottawa office that...and see if that helps.

If you want email me and I'll see if I can help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.