AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just last night I made a shielded Cat5 cable for my LT150. It has VGA connectors at both ends, and is 22 feet long. It seems to work as well as the 6 foot cable that came with the PJ. This was to accomodate a HTPC at my rack. I end up hot swapping plugs at the PJ when I want to switch from HTPC to DVD/HDTV.

For the 60ft. length you describe, the Cat5 route may NOT be the way to go. I recall reading in the infamous Wiggles post that 40ft. was about the limit. You'd have to go back and read why. I would say that if you need 60ft, a GOOD cable is a must. This means using a cable with GOOD internal coax wires. Some may suggest using a short breakout cable and then running 3 separate RG6 wires for the long length. If I'm not mistaken, this can lead to problems with impedance mismatch and differential delay (both not good for PQ). Most bundled coax wires are spiraled and impedance matched to tighter tolerances.

What I have been using up to this point is a VGA to component breakout cable from AVCable ( http://www.avcable.com ). It's 20 ft. long, VERY well made, uses Gepco bundled mini coax wire with Canare terminators (both the best), and it cost me $70. I have raved about Jim at AVCable a number of times. This is well worth the $$ for its performance. You could construct your own component breakout with shielded Cat5, but the interface between a solderable RCA connector and a twisted pair of wires would be shaky. It would probably require a few layers of heatshrink tubing. You would also be leaving a potentially significant length of wire outside the shielding for each of the 3 connectors. Such is not the case when using metal hoods with VGA (HD15) connectors.

I will be experimenting with making an s-video cable with Cat5 STP tonight...

- Dieter

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made one a few weeks ago. I have a 6 foot STP cable terminated with 3 RCA connectors to connect to my RP56. This connects to an inline STP coupler which connects to a 25 foot STP cable terminated with a VGA connector connected to the LT150. Cost is minimal (~$25 for 50ft STP premade cable, $2 per RCA connector, $2 per VGA connector, $5 for coupler) compared to commercial cables. Most of the parts were purchased at Fry's. I mail ordered the RCA connectors.

Using the STP coupler makes it easy for me to switch between the RP56, DTC100, and HTPC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just purchased the rp56. Do you have to tell it to output component or does it do it automatically? What aspect ratio do you have the 150 set at? Any other setting you would reccomend?

Thank for any info,

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
The RP56 outputs component automatically. You do have to tell it to output progressive (using the front panel button which causes the green "progressive out" LED to light.

I'm still trying to work out the best aspect ratio to use. I have a 4x3 screen which I normally use in 16x9 (due to mounting constraints). The lack of scaling with the RP56 is an issue in my setup.

If you search the forum for LT150 and 16x9 (or similar text) you will find much more informative posts on this topic. What asppect ratio screen are you using?

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I just went through the same thing. Video cable is suppose to be 75ohm shelded, Cat 5 cable is not. It may work for a couple of feet but longer runs could be problem, especally if you are near any other wires. It would really depend on your signial stength you could use a booster but that also amplifes the noise. I wound up ordering a 20ft break out cable from http://www.a2zcables.com/ and an extention vga cable that was 15 feet. This worked well. I could not beleve the quality of the cable from a2z they are awesome and only $30 for the break out or the componment cables. Very nicely made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.