AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a DIY gray screen, which uses a piece of painted masonite. My limiting factor on screen size was the 4x8 sheet size. I want to enlarge my screen using the 5 foot wide parkland sheets. However, I don't want to give up the gray.

Has anyone successfully painted these plastic sheets? Or does anyone who has a parkland think it could be done easily? I'm concerned about the adhesion of the paint, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had some gluing (bubbling) problems with my original screen so I had to build another. I had nothing to lose so I applied a coat of gray paint to the first screen's surface. I just used some leftover latex eggshell gray paint I had and "lightened" it up a bit with some ceiling white paint. I just rolled it on with a small sponge roller (I was not trying to get fancy).

To my surprise the results were amazing! The paint adhered, but since I used latex, you could scrape or peel it off if you really wanted to. But the image it produced is really good! It improved the blacks on my LCD projector and tamed my overall brightness, which was to be expected, but where it really made a difference is in the overall improvement of contrasts. Bright colors actually looked better. The Red Wings' road sweaters were a very deep and rich red.

I have since replaced this screen with a white one, but I may still pull the gray one out on occasion just for kicks.

-J.R.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.