AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a TSU3000, the dock and an IR/RF extender from the on-line retailer eCOST and am looking for some feedback from anyone who has done business with them in the past.

I am in Toronto so any Canadians that have dealt with cross border shipping from them would be a bonus.

I am always paranoid about purchasing off the web and would rather go bricks and mortar but the cost of this stuff up here is just plain ugly and it's worth looking at purchasing on-line.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
924 Posts
I bought a GoVideo D2730, Pronto TSU3000 and computer components from them. All orders were processed and shipped the same day I placed the order. No issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ordered something just last week. They didn't inform me when it shipped, but it showed up a couple of days later...much earlier than expected! I'd definitely buy from them again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just make sure they are an authorized retailer for the product in question, for many items they aren't, and you won't get a manufacturers warranty - if that's a concern. BlueDo has the item at slightly higher cost ($23 bucks more) but will ship it as a lower priced "gift" saving you some taxes. And they're an authorized retailer for their remotes. But I admit I haven't bought anything from them, just paying attention to feedback here and on Remote Central, and have decided that's where I will buy my next remote.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gesundheit
Just make sure they are an authorized retailer for the product in question, for many items they aren't, and you won't get a manufacturers warranty - if that's a concern. BlueDo has the item at slightly higher cost ($23 bucks more) but will ship it as a lower priced "gift" saving you some taxes. And they're an authorized retailer for their remotes. But I admit I haven't bought anything from them, just paying attention to feedback here and on Remote Central, and have decided that's where I will buy my next remote.
I can't really dissent to this but I think there is another factor to consider before deciding to buy from an authorized dealer: that is the availability of "like new" factory rebuilt remotes.

Overstock.com and similar Web vendors sell such remotes for MUCH less than the same models cost new from vendors who are authorized dealers. The down side to this, of course, is that if the remote fails within the warranty period, usually a year, the purchaser has to pay to have it fixed. But the savings can be dramatic.

I have seen delivered prices on one particular factory rebuilt remote of less that $115, whereas the same remote bought new from an authorized dealer would cost about $180 delivered. This means that for the privilege of buying a factory warranted remote you would have to pay an extra $65, which amounts to 57%. This kind of saving is worth thinking about, although deals like the one I have described may require some searching. Nevertheless, they are there if you look for them and decide that the savings are worth the risk you are taking.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikebaby
I bought a refurb Denon DVD player, a Pronto 3k, and a Palm Pilot and all were shipped quickly, and I would absolutely buy from them again.

mikebaby
Did the refurb denon come with all the accessories: remote control, manual, etc. Considering a receiver, and ecost is an authorized denon dealer. Just wondering if it will come with the remote, manual and in the case of the receiver microphone for auto set up.

Thanks,

JCPZero

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine came with a remote, batterys, manual, and RCA cables. It was double boxed, the inside Denon box was pretty beat up, but everything inside the box looked brand new, and everything was packed like it was brand new. I have had zero issues with this player, and it plays some discs that my previous Denon DVD player (not sure what model, but it's about 8 years old) would not play.

My Pronto 3k was also a refurb unit. The only way I can tell that it wasn't brand new was a sticker on the back of the remote. And just like the Denon, it has performed flawlessly.

mikebaby

·
Registered
457 Posts
I purchased a Phillips RF Extender for $49 and change from eCost on Monday night. Paid for the 2 day FedEx shipping. It was delivered the next day! This was my first purchase from eCost. Needless to say I was very impressed. The box and said contents were in impeccable condition. The RF Extender is working out great! To think some people actually pay $150 retail for this item. I am half tempted to purchase a few more of these. :)

-Lowpro

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
eCost, MacMall & PCMall are all the same and you can order any item from any web site with a phone call.

So... check each site for fees, shipping & rebates before ordering.

I just got a Denon refurb from MacMall that was only listed on the eCost site - but got free shipping and no 'service fee'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and purchased the Pronto NG, dock and IR/RF receiver off of eCost and it was delivered in a week! I was definitely happy with their service. Being in Canada their relationship with Borderfree was especially helpfull since it allowed me to see the exact cost all-in, including shipping, taxes, & duties in Canadian funds. This made it very usefully to price compare vs buying locally from a bricks and mortar retailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.