AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z2 doesn't have any dustblobs and I would like to keep it that way... however I can certainly understand why it happens so frequently - the vent holes on that thing are like swiss cheese!

Has anybody tried covering the vent with a piece of cheese cloth or something that would still allow air through but keep the dust out? I think if the product used had good air flow it wouldn't affect the Z2 in anyway... and if it was the unit would shut itself down if it started to get too hot wouldn't it?

LB

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If it overheats it will shut down but slow heat build up won't shut it down; however, this may prematurely wear down the LCD panel with color discoloration and other artifacts.

People have put PJ inside a hushbox with a fan and AC air filter in the past successfully. This will cut down on dust blobs. Seal light path on some PJ will also prevent dust blobs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am concidering building a hushbox for the same reason, but I am a little concerned about putting a sheet of glass or plexi in front of the lense. Anybody think it will cause any problems with pq?

J

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huey - What do you mean by "Seal light path"?

I don't want to build a hushbox for my Z2 (don't really have room for it on the shelf anyways), I just want to help keep the dust out... I thought cheese cloth or some other sort of filtering material over the vents would work wonders, but I don't want to over heat the unit... is anyone using anything like this?

LB

·
Registered
535 Posts
I use a pair of ladies nylons. Simply unscrew the screws for the machine's front flap. Remove the front flap. Cut off the legs of the nylons. Sew the leg holes shut. Slide the nylons over the machine. Screw the front flap back on. The hole for where the waist would be goes in the back of the machine. So hooking up wires is not a problem. The air flows nicely out the back too, since the vents are uncovered back there.

Also, the nylons I use for the projector are so thin that the fan doesn't run any more or less. And heat build up has not been a problem. This has really helped reduce the dust blobs on my machine. I live in an older house where dust floats everywhere. Also, others have said that a room air purifier works really well. One can be had for about $50.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use very thin air conditioning filter foam over every intake vent of my Z1 for the 6 months I've owned mine.

I've had ZERO dust blobs and no problems whatsoever.

Just make sure it's a very thin material that doesn't obstruct the air flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.