AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which DVD player is right for me.

I have a Sony 55" SXRD ... so my understanding is that I should be okay with macro-blocking, is that correct?

In that case, I'm trying to determine which player to get. Assuming no macroblocking, I'd prefer the 981 due to it's better de-interlacing and 1080p output. However, I've got a decent number of SACD's (and some DVD-A's) ... so sound is quite important to me.

While I can understand that the 970 has better analog output ... has anyone compared that HDMI audio to see if the difference is noticeable there as well? I expect to have an HDMI pre/pro receiver later this year, so analog doesn't matter that much to me.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bump.

I'd like to know as well. Any difference?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Oppo has indicated the DV970HD has the potential for better audio due to the way the players are designed, the DV981HD using separate boards may introduce noise. Whether or not anybody could ever discern any difference would be just a guess on my part. A copy of a letter from Oppo was shown on this forum in a thread that discloses this concern. Both players do DSD>PCM conversions and another theoretical audible improvement can found with players that remain DSD until analog conversion. Most (all current?) inexpensive players do the DSD>PCM conversion.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
The hilarious part about this is that most higher end dvd players have completely seperate boards for everything,to minimize interference and other electrical demons.Oppo is the only one I've seen to claim that having everything on one board is an advantage.Maybe it's chutzpah or just an admission of their own crappy manufacturing techniques.Who knows?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoone /forum/post/0

The hilarious part about this is that most higher end dvd players have completely seperate boards for everything,to minimize interference and other electrical demons.Oppo is the only one I've seen to claim that having everything on one board is an advantage.Maybe it's chutzpah or just an admission of their own crappy manufacturing techniques.Who knows?

I believe the Oppo players are very well built for the price.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.