AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Midway (Collector's Edition) is now available. Has anyone seen it? I know the first DVD was poor quality, I'm just wondering if this one is worth having. I like the movie enough that I'll probably end up with the DVD regardless.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Dave I have this DVD from when it was first released other than no Dolby Stereo soundtrack I felt the movie made was adequate. I would like a Dolby Soundtrack, I will follow this thread to see what others have to say about this, extremely

strategic battle.

In sinking 4 of the Japanese first line carriers the battle allowed the USA to rebuild it's crippled fleet destroyed at Pearl Harbor. This is a historic account of a actual naval battle that caught the Japanese fleet off guard, to get them thinking that all 3 carriers were still at Pearl Harbor. This battle brought admiring recognition to Admiral Chester Nemitz. I have a number of World War 2 classics both on DVD and Vhs. At age 55 I am a 'baby boomer' born 2 years after World War 2.:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hmmm... It would be interesting to know if the new version of Midway is the full, uncut version. The original movie had a bit more about Charleton Heston's injured hand, and had the Coral Sea battle in it. I was disappointed when I watched the original DVD release that the studio edited these scenes out of it. I didn't even know that there was a second release. I'll have to check into it...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I read that extra scenes are on the DVD, though maybe not as part of the movie. I think it's an excellent movie and am hoping they did a better job that with the first DVD. (I haven't seen the first one, just read that picture and audio quality weren't good.)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
You have a good movie why bring some dumb Japanese/American love affair into it?

I would like to see that edited out and have a all action war movie with a Digitally remastered video with a Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound track. I will buy the new one, and sell or trade the other one.

The movie I just went and pre-ordered is all action called "Dogs Of War" with Christopher Walken. One of my favorites is "The Wild Geese" with Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Roger Moore. Let's get them to produce excelent video and sound on all 'wide screen' DVDs in my Home Theatre.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah djs I just picked it up today.Took my Dad to see it in the theater when it first came out and the Sensurround knocked him out of his chair.It is a SE and it's in 1:1 sound.The whole movie comes out of the center speaker.But it your sub that gets the workout.The explosions and cannon fire and anything else that is loud comes from the sub to give ya that HT Sensurround. It rattled my hardwood floors.Not as loud as it was in the theater but good enough for me.The pictures crisp and looks good.Extras have featurettes on John Williams and the Sensurround process also scenes that they added for television and a few more.All in all I enjoyed it.Now if Rollercoaster and Earthquake are like this I 'll get them to,along with Battlestar Galactia(sp).:)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Actually, the case is mislabeled. The disc contains a 2.1 channel mono track, where the audio is emitted from the right and left mains, instead of the center channel. This gives it a little better body and spaciousness, if you have the benefit of sitting in the sweetspot.

Chad

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Chad the one I have which is the SE,the sound only comes from the center,not out of the left or right.Is mine a messed up one?Or is there something else wrong?Everything else I play comes out right.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sorry, Harry.

You're right. I just checked my Denon's configuration and it seems that in direct, and pure direct modes, which I was thinking outputs the signal as is, the sound will actually will not output to the center channel. So, a single channel mono track is reproduced as a two channel track.

Chad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.