AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this in the Samsung HLR xxx8 owners thread, but I figured this might be a good place as well in case it is not specific to my set.

When I watch HD OTA (signal strength literally could not be better), I sometimes see red/pink dots (like static) on the HD image, mostly in areas where there are blacks (but sometimes where the picture is not dark - I have a feeling it is just easier to notice when it is darker since it is pink/red in color). This does not occur all the times, and it occurs less when there is motion, and more when an image is still, for example, if someone is standing and not moving. I have attached an example for you all to look at. As you can tell, it is noticeable, and bothersome.

No problems when watching my DVDs (through HDMI) or my SD Direct TV TiVo either (Through S-Video). It does show up with some SD OTA material (when commercials are on an HD OTA broadcast), so I'm wondering if this is an issue with the way the tuner processes OTA signal and delivers it to the TV.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jees, that looks pretty bad.

You say that the error only occurs with HD OTA, and not with any of your other inputs, which leads me to believe that this is a signal problem. I know that you claim that the signal couldn't be stronger, but perhaps there is some degredation occurring before the signal reaches your house. Never having seen HD OTS (only via digital cable from Comcast), it is unclear to me whether this is the HD digital equivalent of "snow."

I assume you have checked your cables to make sure that this is not a cabling issue. If not, make sure that the component cables from your satellite box (whatever) are hooked up nice and tight, and that the cables are of reasonable quality.

It certainly sounds like a source problem, and not a monitor issue, since you're happy with the other inputs...Maybe it's time to ditch the satellite and go cable?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.